    afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Michael, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Michael

    sisal Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    news:G6pnf.9743$-kc.rr.com...
    > Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    > turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    > know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files
    > produced
    > by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate them.
    >
    > Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    > the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I
    > can't
    > afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    Three words of advice, Sil Ky Pix.............better than ANY of the others
    (14 day trial to see for yourself)

    sisal, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "sisal" <> wrote in message news:...

    > "Michael" <> wrote in message news:G6pnf.9743$-kc.rr.com...
    >> Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    >> turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    >> know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files produced
    >> by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate them.
    >>
    >> Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    >> the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I can't
    >> afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    > Three words of advice, Sil Ky Pix.............better than ANY of the others (14 day trial to see for yourself)

    It probably is the best, but 133 dollars is too much for me.

    Michael, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Michael

    sisal Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "sisal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >>> Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    >>> turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    >>> know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files
    >>> produced
    >>> by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    >>> the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I
    >>> can't
    >>> afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    >> Three words of advice, Sil Ky Pix.............better than ANY of the
    >> others (14 day trial to see for yourself)

    > It probably is the best, but 133 dollars is too much for me.

    Ah....the constantly devaluing dollar....

    Seriously, if you can run to it, Silkypix really is the best of the current
    bunch - and you know how it is, you save thirty dollars and then spend years
    regretting that you didn't make that extra stretch.

    Have you tried it? - there's something really nice about the way the images
    come out - smooth, yet vibrant, and there are a wealth of features (makes me
    sound like a real estate agent....)

    Finally, don't forget that after the 14 day trial Silky runs in a limited
    free mode (with no constant nag screens) - which still gives you all the
    major adjustments (and does a great job with .pef files)

    sisal, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "sisal" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Have you tried it? - there's something really nice about the way the images come out - smooth, yet vibrant, and there are a wealth
    > of features (makes me sound like a real estate agent....)
    >
    > Finally, don't forget that after the 14 day trial Silky runs in a limited free mode (with no constant nag screens) - which still
    > gives you all the major adjustments (and does a great job with .pef files)

    I will check it out after the Bibble 14 day trial. Thanks for
    the tip.

    Mike

    Michael, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Michael

    Darrell Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message

    > "sisal" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael" <> wrote in message
    >>> Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    >>> turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    >>> know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files
    >>> produced
    >>> by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    >>> the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I
    >>> can't
    >>> afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    >> Three words of advice, Sil Ky Pix.............better than ANY of the
    >> others (14 day trial to see for yourself)

    > It probably is the best, but 133 dollars is too much for me.

    Then don't shoot RAW. I can't understand someone would pay $1000 for a dSLR,
    but won't buy the software that can make full use of the camera. In the film
    days, people would pay thousands a year in film and processing.

    ;)

    Darrell, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Michael

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    >turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    >know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files produced
    >by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate them.
    >
    >Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    >the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I can't
    >afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    Until RAWshooter adds support for the ist-DL here's a free stopgap
    solution:

    Download Adobe's free DNG converter and convert your PEF files to DNG
    format RAW files. RAWshooter will work fine with those :)

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Michael" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Raw Essentials reads my raw Pentax *ist PEF files for a second, then
    >>turns them into pink or bluish squares that are uneditable. Does anyone
    >>know about this issue? I think it's probably the kind of raw files produced
    >>by the camera: FastStone will show them but won't let me manipulate them.
    >>
    >>Of course, Pentax's software will let me do some work on the raws, but
    >>the software isn't very versatile. Bibble's software works great, but I can't
    >>afford the price after the tryout period expires.

    > Until RAWshooter adds support for the ist-DL here's a free stopgap
    > solution:
    >
    > Download Adobe's free DNG converter and convert your PEF files to DNG
    > format RAW files. RAWshooter will work fine with those :)
    >

    > --
    > Mark Roberts

    Mark, thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

    Mike

    Michael, Dec 14, 2005