    Just a novice photographer with high expectations !

    Thanks,

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 13, 2004

  2. BobS

    chibitul Guest

    In article <ylUSc.139870$>,
    "BobS" <> wrote:

    > About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    > couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    > it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    > about the sharpness and the CF card. Since I already have 3 other Pentax
    > camera's and a few lenses in my collection (which can be used on the *ist),
    > it makes economical sense to go with this camera.
    >
    > But... any real-world gotcha's (reliability, parts falling off, etc.) that
    > only show up after having used it for awhile - any regrets?
    >
    > Just a novice photographer with high expectations !
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

    bought mine from B and H a few weeks ago came with firmware 1.00,
    upgraded to 1.11 from Pentax. I thought the sensor was slightly titlted,
    it seemed that all images were tilted, but careful testing revealed the
    sensor is OK, it was just a false alarm. i recommend shooting a surface
    such as bathroom floor with small tiles, and make sure you point the
    camera perpendicullar and have a symmetric tile pattarn in the
    vewifinder. the image was the OK, no tilt.

    I did not manage to print anything yet, and I also don't have a good
    prime (I use a 28-70 f/4 zoom), but so far i was happy. will get a
    better idea of the real performance of this camera once I get a good
    prime and print a few images.

    I'd say go for it, but again it's your money, do as you want :)

    chibitul, Aug 13, 2004

  3. BobS

    Charlie Self Guest

    BobS notes:

    >About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    >couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    >it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    >about the sharpness and the CF card. Since I already have 3 other Pentax
    >camera's and a few lenses in my collection (which can be used on the *ist),
    >it makes economical sense to go with this camera.
    >
    >But... any real-world gotcha's (reliability, parts falling off, etc.) that
    >only show up after having used it for awhile - any regrets?
    >
    >Just a novice photographer with high expectations !

    It's a delight. Forget the sharpness issues. Those are because very little
    sharpening is done in-camera (I keep it on the sharpest setting, do light
    sharpening when needed: it's fine, excellent shots). Sturdy feeling, I could
    actually wish it were a bit larger for my right hand. I got the kit lens, the
    16-45, which seems to be excellent. Bought a 100mm Vivitar macro, which is
    pretty good, not nearly great. I'll be aiming for the 28-135mm Sigma macro
    next, I think.

    I've shot about 700 pix with mine. Takes a bit to get used to the framing after
    using a Minolta Dimage 7i with EVF for a couple years.

    I use it on manual most of the time, often with studio flash. It is easy to
    manipulate, set up, change, and most controls are easily accessible without
    going to the menu--the Minolta required either a wild combination of buttons
    and wheels or a trip to the menu.

    Two things, one a characteristic of autofocus lenses: I do not like small focus
    rings on lenses; the jog dial is too small. I've learned to rock my thumb to
    operate it, but it shouldn't require learning beyond other jog dials.

    Oh, yeah. The CF card goes in upside down, so is not as easy to get out as
    some. I rake mine out with my thumbnail after punching the release button.

    Charlie Self
    "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
    those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
    Baker

    Charlie Self, Aug 13, 2004
  4. BobS

    Tony H Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote:

    >About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    >couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    >it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    >about the sharpness and the CF card. Since I already have 3 other Pentax
    >camera's and a few lenses in my collection (which can be used on the *ist),
    >it makes economical sense to go with this camera.
    >
    >But... any real-world gotcha's (reliability, parts falling off, etc.) that
    >only show up after having used it for awhile - any regrets?
    >
    >Just a novice photographer with high expectations !
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bob S.

    Bob

    Got my *istD in April after much agonising, and I'm completely
    satisfied with my choice. It does everything I want it to, and more.
    I've had terrrific fun going through my collection of sixteen old
    lenses, and it works with 'em all (with the 1.11 update). I think it's
    the only digital SLR that has full backward compatibility with ALL
    it's old family of lenses (including M42). Top marks to Pentax for
    that!

    I've just notched up 1400 shots, and if we'd had a better summer here
    in the UK it would have been double that.

    Like someone else has already said, forget about the sharpness issue -
    it's fully up to the best lenses you can buy. The CF card thing is
    just a quibble and just shows how desparate some reviewers are to find
    something to criticise. I 've not found it to be a problem.

    Having said all that, the new Cheapo version is due out soon
    (September?) so if cost is an issue then you might find it worth
    waiting for that. However, I'm wondering if that will still have full
    backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
    pentaprism viewfinder.

    Cheers
    TonyH

    Tony H, Aug 13, 2004
  5. BobS <> wrote:

    > About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    > couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    > it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    > about the sharpness and the CF card.

    The card slot is a little annoying, but not more than that. The
    sharpness is only an issue if you shoot JPEG or TIFF, because the camera
    does the processing in that case. A little extra sharpening in Photoshop
    is the remedy.

    If you shoot RAW, which gives you much more control, the computer does
    the processing and the sharpening. In other words; if you use Adobe
    CameraRAW to open the RAW files, the sharpness should be no different
    than it is for other digital cameras. I've blown up Pentax *istD images
    to 60 x 80 cm on my Epson 7600, and the results are impressive.

    --
    Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
    Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

    Johan W. Elzenga, Aug 13, 2004
  6. BobS

    Mark Roberts Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote:

    >About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    >couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    >it.

    I've been using one for about 6 months now. Very, very pleased with it.
    Solid construction and excellent image quality. I just did a job for
    SuperbikePlanet.com with it - images online at
    http://www.robertstech.com/mid02004.htm
    If you have any specific questions email me or ask the Pentax mailing
    list (www.pdml.net), where there are lots of ist-D users.

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Aug 13, 2004
  7. BobS

    Guest

    : Having said all that, the new Cheapo version is due out soon
    : (September?) so if cost is an issue then you might find it worth
    : waiting for that. However, I'm wondering if that will still have full
    : backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
    : pentaprism viewfinder.

    : Cheers
    : TonyH

    Anybody heard anything more about the Cheapo version? I heard the
    announcement of an announcement a few months ago, but haven't heard any speculation
    since then. I would hope that they use the same or better sensor, retain the
    AA-compatible batteries, and just dummy-down the software a bit. I've used P&S
    digicams enough to realize that for the most part I'm planning on using it as a
    "digital light-proof box" to hold lenses. Most of the "features" on the digital
    cameras are gear towards JPEG shooters. Shoot in RAW, focus/compose correctly, use
    spot-metering, and exposure hold, and make sure the histogram doesn't blow out.
    Anything else you can fix in post-processing.

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *
    * Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student *

    , Aug 13, 2004
  8. "Johan W. Elzenga" <> wrote in message
    > BobS <> wrote:
    >
    > > About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get

    > > couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have

    used
    > > it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    > > about the sharpness and the CF card.

    > The card slot is a little annoying, but not more than that. The
    > sharpness is only an issue if you shoot JPEG or TIFF, because the camera
    > does the processing in that case. A little extra sharpening in Photoshop
    > is the remedy.
    >
    > If you shoot RAW, which gives you much more control, the computer does
    > the processing and the sharpening. In other words; if you use Adobe
    > CameraRAW to open the RAW files, the sharpness should be no different
    > than it is for other digital cameras. I've blown up Pentax *istD images
    > to 60 x 80 cm on my Epson 7600, and the results are impressive.

    Pentax offers their own RAW plugin as well as these other downloads;

    *istD Firmware Update Version 1.11
    *istD Photo Software update: Browser v1.11, Laboratory v1.10
    RAW Plugin Module for Photoshop
    Pentax Remote Assistant software

    Darrell Larose, Aug 13, 2004
  9. <> wrote in message
    > : Having said all that, the new Cheapo version is due out soon
    > : (September?) so if cost is an issue then you might find it worth
    > : waiting for that. However, I'm wondering if that will still have full
    > : backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
    > : pentaprism viewfinder.
    >
    > : Cheers
    > : TonyH
    >
    > Anybody heard anything more about the Cheapo version? I heard the
    > announcement of an announcement a few months ago, but haven't heard any

    speculation
    > since then. I would hope that they use the same or better sensor, retain

    the
    > AA-compatible batteries, and just dummy-down the software a bit. I've

    used P&S
    > digicams enough to realize that for the most part I'm planning on using it

    as a
    > "digital light-proof box" to hold lenses. Most of the "features" on the

    digital
    > cameras are gear towards JPEG shooters. Shoot in RAW, focus/compose

    correctly, use
    > spot-metering, and exposure hold, and make sure the histogram doesn't blow

    out.
    > Anything else you can fix in post-processing.

    We'll know more in 6 weeks when it's unveiled at Photokina 2004
    http://www.photokina.de

    Darrell Larose, Aug 13, 2004
  10. BobS

    Charlie Self Guest

    tony notes:

    >owever, I'm wondering if that will still have full
    >backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
    >pentaprism viewfinder.

    Yes. I forgot to mention that viewfinder. It's as good as it gets. Lovely. Even
    matte screen focusing is easy, and with my aged eyes, that's saying a lot.

    Charlie Self, Aug 13, 2004
  11. Darrell Larose <> wrote:

    > > The card slot is a little annoying, but not more than that. The
    > > sharpness is only an issue if you shoot JPEG or TIFF, because the camera
    > > does the processing in that case. A little extra sharpening in Photoshop
    > > is the remedy.
    > >
    > > If you shoot RAW, which gives you much more control, the computer does
    > > the processing and the sharpening. In other words; if you use Adobe
    > > CameraRAW to open the RAW files, the sharpness should be no different
    > > than it is for other digital cameras. I've blown up Pentax *istD images
    > > to 60 x 80 cm on my Epson 7600, and the results are impressive.
    > >

    > Pentax offers their own RAW plugin as well as these other downloads;
    >
    > *istD Firmware Update Version 1.11
    > *istD Photo Software update: Browser v1.11, Laboratory v1.10
    > RAW Plugin Module for Photoshop
    > Pentax Remote Assistant software

    I know they do, but quite frankly the Pentax software (both the stand
    alone software as well as the plugin) is crap compared to Adobe
    CameraRAW and/or PhaseOne C1 (which I use).

    Johan W. Elzenga, Aug 13, 2004
  12. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Thanks to All - Re: Pentax *ist D

    Thanks to all that responded to my question. Looks like a no-brainer after
    reading your comments and I'm headed for the local camera shop. Just happen
    to have a neice getting married in a couple of weeks so along with a couple
    of film cameras, it looks like the *new* ist will get a workout also.

    Charlie, thanks for your succint critique - as usual - and also to the rest
    of you for sharing your experiences and insight. To those that posted links
    to their sites, I've added them to my short list. Some very impressive
    work.

    The link to the photokina was a nostaglia trip - thanks! I was there in '66
    and what a show it was. That was the year the picture of the monk that set
    himself on fire made all the news and as I recall, it was Minolta that blew
    it up (~20'x50') and hung it from the ceiling of the show tent. It was taken
    with their 8mm "spy" camera as I recall.

    Thank you,

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 13, 2004
  13. Kewl, I just dropped my money down on a *istD w/ 14mm/2.8 today

    Darrell Larose, Aug 14, 2004
  14. BobS

    MikeS Guest

    "BobS" <> wrote in message
    > About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get a
    > couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have used
    > it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
    > about the sharpness and the CF card. Since I already have 3 other Pentax
    > camera's and a few lenses in my collection (which can be used on the

    *ist),
    > it makes economical sense to go with this camera.
    >
    > But... any real-world gotcha's (reliability, parts falling off, etc.) that
    > only show up after having used it for awhile - any regrets?
    >
    > Just a novice photographer with high expectations !
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.
    >
    > *ist D is missing a P :) The silly name would put me off.

    On a serious note make sure that the lenses you have are usable on the *ist
    if not *ist is not a good idea.
    Bear in mind that the focal lenth is multiplyed by 1.5 (actualy its
    cropping the image but for a rule of thumb multiply by 1.5) and for the
    money your getting I believe a 5 mp camera. why not go for the Nikon D70 for
    less money you get a desent wide angle lense which also zooms to 150 mm ala
    35 mm full frame camera. Or better still, before making up your mind, try
    them all.
    MikeS Nikon D70 user

    MikeS, Aug 14, 2004
  15. BobS

    Tony H Guest

    "MikeS" <> wrote:

    >On a serious note make sure that the lenses you have are usable on the *ist
    >if not *ist is not a good idea.

    All old Pentax lenses work (and meter) with the *istD with the 1.11
    firmware updfate, unlike Canon, Nikon and the rest where you pretty
    much take pot luck if you have old lenses.

    >Bear in mind that the focal lenth is multiplyed by 1.5 (actualy its
    >cropping the image but for a rule of thumb multiply by 1.5) and for the
    >money your getting I believe a 5 mp camera.

    No. it's a 6 mp sensor, and the same one as fitted to the D70 and
    D100.

    TonyH

    Tony H, Aug 14, 2004
  16. BobS

    Charlie Self Guest

    MikeS writes:

    >> *ist D is missing a P :) The silly name would put me off.

    >On a serious note make sure that the lenses you have are usable on the *ist
    >if not *ist is not a good idea.

    Almost all Pentax lenses are usable, though some of the real early ones don't
    work as well as the later ones. That includes those for the 6x7 and 645. Try
    that from another maker.

    >nd for the
    >money your getting I believe a 5 mp camera. why not go for the Nikon D70 for
    >less money you get a desent wide angle lense which also zooms to 150 mm ala
    >35 mm full frame camera. Or better still, before making up your mind, try
    >them all.

    The latter thought is a good one, but IIRC, he said he had some Pentax lenses
    on hand already. Pentax. Not Nikon. Not Canon.

    Charlie Self
    "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
    Devil's Dictionary

    Charlie Self, Aug 14, 2004
  17. BobS

    BobS Guest

    Correct - I have a small assortment of Pentax lenses with all kinds of
    filters that are in excellent shape and I know what to expect from the macro
    to the zoom.

    Now finding one locally is turning out to be a real trick - not available.

    Bob S.

    BobS, Aug 14, 2004
  18. BobS

    Guest

    : Yes. I forgot to mention that viewfinder. It's as good as it gets. Lovely. Even
    : matte screen focusing is easy, and with my aged eyes, that's saying a lot.

    Although I do not yet own a Pentax DSLR, I will within a year or so. I do lament the
    passing of the manual-focus aids (split circle line) in the older 35mm cameras. I suspect that
    using manual focus lenses have less utility on these cameras without them. Am I correct?

    -Cory

    * Cory Papenfuss *
    * Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student *

    , Aug 14, 2004
  19. BobS

    Charlie Self Guest

    papenfuss asks:

    >Although I do not yet own a Pentax DSLR, I will within a year or so. I do
    >lament the
    >passing of the manual-focus aids (split circle line) in the older 35mm
    >cameras. I suspect that
    >using manual focus lenses have less utility on these cameras without them.
    >Am I correct?

    No. It truly surprised me. I've got a split screen on my Minolta SLR, had split
    screens on my old Canon and Olympus gear, and like it, but the fine matte
    screen on the Pentax *istD is actually much easier to use than I anticipated.
    Part of that is the adjustable diopter that is easy to work, and part of it is
    the cataract surgery I had some time ago, but it is still much easier to use
    than expected. I like it, though for action work, I'd probably go back to the
    AF, which is admirably quick and accurate.

    Charlie Self, Aug 14, 2004
  20. BobS

    Charlie Self Guest

    BobS notes:

    >Correct - I have a small assortment of Pentax lenses with all kinds of
    >filters that are in excellent shape and I know what to expect from the macro
    >to the zoom.
    >
    >Now finding one locally is turning out to be a real trick - not available.

    Bob,

    I got mine from Dell, the package deal with the 16-45mm lens (fine lens, by the
    way). I don't know if the rebate and discount are still available, but it
    worked out to about what B&H or Adorama would have charged and was here
    something like 3 days after I sent the order in...email.

    Free shipping, etc.

    They're still listing 10% off retail, plus the $200 mail-in rebate on the lens.
    That's down to $1599.99 for the package. They don't have the camera without the
    lens, AFAIK.

    Or don't sell it that way.

    I also found out they have a presence in VA, as it cost me $76 or so extra for
    sales tax.

    Charlie Self, Aug 14, 2004