    So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 21, 2005

  2. Never trust programs like that. I say do whatever you can to backup your
    stuff before you try anything.

    Rob
    http://www.techhowto.org

    Rob Burghdoff, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was just hoping
    someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I could draw upon...

    Toolman Tim, Aug 22, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was just hoping
    > someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I could draw upon...

    Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 22, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Hey, Linux users...
    >
    > My Sony Vaio laptop defaults to a partition size of 15/15 on my 30gb
    > drive. I don't want it like that.
    >
    > I have a Knoppix live CD, which contains qtparted. All indications are
    > that it can safely resize my partitions without damaging my Windows
    > installation on C:
    >
    > Since it takes me about 6 or 7 hours to install, customize and have the
    > system "just right" I'd rather not do that again soon.
    >
    > So, just how safe *IS* a repartition using qtparted?

    You rather want to read "man ntfsresize" and do that by hand, including the
    backing up/resizing/recreating the partition table (fdisk). If you do it by
    yourself, you get much more likely a figure what's happening behind the
    szene, and may even be able to fix some errors.
    To make it sure, defrag your windows beforehand. Afterwards, you can do
    almost everything you want regarding windows partitions with XP drive
    management, which might also include freeing some "unpartitioned" space for
    another OS.
    Other operating systems install best if you leave the partitioning of their
    own space to their own installer.
    Btw., with knoppix you can open a terminal and "sudo su" and you are root.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 22, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was
    >> just hoping someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I
    >> could draw upon...

    > Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

    Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.

    I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all is well.
    Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change. It probably
    noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the file system.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 22, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>>Oh - backups aren't an issue: those are done without fail. I was
    >>>just hoping someone had some experience with it (good or bad) that I
    >>>could draw upon...

    >>Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

    > Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.
    >
    > I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all is well.
    > Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change. It probably
    > noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the file system.

    All swells that ends well.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 23, 2005
  8. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> Don't have a recent version of Partition Magic available?

    >> Nope - my brother does, but I already have the Knoppix CD.
    >>
    >> I did my backup, I did my defrag, I resized the partitions, and all
    >> is well. Although XP *did* force a chkdsk after I made the change.
    >> It probably noticed a size change that wasn't accounted for in the
    >> file system.

    > All swells that ends well.

    <g> I'm pleased - things are running very nicely now. (It helped to add more
    RAM as well.) I thought about pulling out the 30Gb drive and putting my
    spare 40Gb in, but decided to get a USB 2.0 enclosure for it.

    I bought this Vaio for $150, and spent $195 to fix the LCD display. I
    thought I came out ahead, until I found out the battery is lousy. So when I
    sell the old Dell, I'll have to buy a new battery.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 23, 2005