Pelican swallows pigeon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Daniel Silevitch, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Daniel Silevitch, Oct 26, 2006

  2. Daniel Silevitch

    Guest

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    > camera:

    Better than eating small dogs.

    , Oct 26, 2006

  3. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >
    > > and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    > > camera:

    > Better than eating small dogs.

    There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    Johnny or his Nanny.

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Daniel Silevitch

    Cynicor Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    >>> camera:

    >> Better than eating small dogs.

    > There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    > about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    > Johnny or his Nanny.

    The pelican spent the afternoon swallowing witnesses.

    Cynicor, Oct 26, 2006
  5. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > >> Better than eating small dogs.

    > > There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    > > about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    > > Johnny or his Nanny.

    > The pelican spent the afternoon swallowing witnesses.

    heh heh... he'll be up before the beak if he doesn't pay his bill.

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  6. On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:16:04 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    >> > camera:

    >> Better than eating small dogs.

    > There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    > about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    > Johnny or his Nanny.

    If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 26, 2006
  7. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:16:04 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > > wrote:

    > >> Better than eating small dogs.

    > > There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    > > about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    > > Johnny or his Nanny.

    > If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    > you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    > in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
    >
    > -dms

    Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
    always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
    be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
    incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
    himself a lot of free publicity....

    oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    (actually dated earlier this month)

    http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  8. On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:56:51 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    >> > There are doubters on this one, so far the only person to have spoken
    >> > about the incident is the photographer. No interviews with little
    >> > Johnny or his Nanny.

    >> If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    >> you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    >> in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
    >>
    >> -dms

    > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
    > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
    > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
    > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
    > himself a lot of free publicity....
    >
    > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > (actually dated earlier this month)
    >
    > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    That's quite a video clip. Thanks. I suppose I should have felt sorry
    for the pigeon, but I just had to laugh while watching it.

    My co-worker raised the question of whether this will become a habit for
    that particular pelican; pigeon-hunting has got to be easier than
    chasing fish.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 26, 2006
  9. Daniel Silevitch

    Cynicor Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > (actually dated earlier this month)
    >
    > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    That is SO COOL! God I love death!

    Errr...I mean, uh, quite an interesting scientific record of a natural
    predator-pray struggle that deserves further study.

    Cynicor, Oct 26, 2006
  10. Daniel Silevitch

    jack Guest

    : <> wrote:
    :
    :: and someone happened to be in the right place at the right
    :: time with a camera:
    :
    : Better than eating small dogs.

    Personally, I hate dogs (and all the crap they leave behind for me and my
    children to step in). Anyway, what's wrong with you people? Can't you all
    see that the photo is a fake? Look at the obvious 'cut-n-paste' line
    between the pigeon and the pelican. Don't you all see it? Geez, it's as
    clear as a god-damned Muslim in Salt Lake City (Utah). Later....

    j.

    jack, Oct 26, 2006
  11. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:56:51 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > > Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > >> If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    > >> you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    > >> in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
    > >>
    > >> -dms

    > > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
    > > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
    > > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
    > > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
    > > himself a lot of free publicity....
    > >
    > > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > > (actually dated earlier this month)
    > >
    > > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    > That's quite a video clip. Thanks. I suppose I should have felt sorry
    > for the pigeon, but I just had to laugh while watching it.
    >
    > My co-worker raised the question of whether this will become a habit for
    > that particular pelican; pigeon-hunting has got to be easier than
    > chasing fish.
    >
    > -dms

    It's a weird one. Maybe it was just too hungry to pass up the chance
    of an easy meal, or at least it thought so until the meal tried to get
    away.

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  12. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > >
    > > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > > (actually dated earlier this month)
    > >
    > > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    > That is SO COOL! God I love death!
    >
    > Errr...I mean, uh, quite an interesting scientific record of a natural
    > predator-pray struggle that deserves further study.

    heh heh, that's your card marked :O)

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  13. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    jack wrote:

    > wrote:
    > : On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:45:49 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
    > : <> wrote:
    > :
    > :: and someone happened to be in the right place at the right
    > :: time with a camera:
    > :
    > : Better than eating small dogs.
    >
    > Personally, I hate dogs (and all the crap they leave behind for me and my
    > children to step in). Anyway, what's wrong with you people? Can't you all
    > see that the photo is a fake? Look at the obvious 'cut-n-paste' line
    > between the pigeon and the pelican. Don't you all see it? Geez, it's as
    > clear as a god-damned Muslim in Salt Lake City (Utah). Later....
    >
    > j.

    Jack, as we have been mentioning the story itself is a little fishy
    (bad pun) and many people think it's a con (myself included) but take
    a look at the short video also doing the rounds

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  14. Daniel Silevitch

    Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    > > you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    > > in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
    > >
    > > -dms

    > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
    > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
    > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
    > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
    > himself a lot of free publicity....
    >
    > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > (actually dated earlier this month)
    >
    > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    Well, just because there is a video, and the pelican actually DID
    swallow the pigeon, that doesn't mean that the photo is real. Most
    likely a photographer saw it happen but didn't get a photo, so he
    created one later. Notice that the pigeon is strangely calm in the
    picture, just sitting there quietly in the pelican's bill. Also, there
    are pretty sharp boundaries between the pigeon and the pelican -
    perfect for a Photoshop job, which is most likely what this is.

    -Gniewko

    , Oct 26, 2006
  15. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > > If it's a fake photo, it's a pretty decent Photoshop job. But now that
    > > > you mention it, yes it is a bit odd that no other witnesses were quoted
    > > > in the story. Just the photographer and various consulted experts.
    > > >
    > > > -dms

    > > Well, it's just newsgroup mumbles really but nowadays it seems there's
    > > always someone with a camera phone handy and for once there seems to
    > > be nobody with a moving image, so the only word we have for the
    > > incident appears to be him, and it was quickly pointed out he's got
    > > himself a lot of free publicity....
    > >
    > > oops, I may have jumped the gun a bit quickly there - moving footage!
    > > (actually dated earlier this month)
    > >
    > > http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2006/10/7890/

    > Well, just because there is a video, and the pelican actually DID
    > swallow the pigeon, that doesn't mean that the photo is real. Most
    > likely a photographer saw it happen but didn't get a photo, so he
    > created one later. Notice that the pigeon is strangely calm in the
    > picture, just sitting there quietly in the pelican's bill. Also, there
    > are pretty sharp boundaries between the pigeon and the pelican -
    > perfect for a Photoshop job, which is most likely what this is.
    >
    > -Gniewko

    Yes, I am sure the vid is dated earlier than the photograph, which I
    have still not heard of any other witness. I think what we may have is
    an opportunist photographer. I have done a bit of hunting and every
    mention of the recent one that I can find mentions Cathal McNaughton
    by name and he is a press photographer

    Paul Heslop, Oct 26, 2006
  16. Daniel Silevitch

    Sheldon Guest

    Sheldon, Oct 26, 2006
  17. Daniel Silevitch

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > > and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    > > camera:
    > >
    > > Story:
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6083468.stm
    > > Larger photo:
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/uk_enl_1161769756/html/1.stm
    > >
    > > -dms

    > Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.
    >
    > Sheldon

    wot... pigeons?

    Paul Heslop, Oct 27, 2006
  18. Daniel Silevitch

    name Guest

    name, Oct 27, 2006
  19. Daniel Silevitch

    Philippe Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    >
    >>Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    >>
    >>>and someone happened to be in the right place at the right time with a
    >>>camera:
    >>>
    >>>Story:
    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6083468.stm
    >>>Larger photo:
    >>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/uk_enl_1161769756/html/1.stm
    >>>
    >>>-dms

    >>Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.
    >>
    >>Sheldon

    > wot... pigeons?
    >

    > :O)

    Or do you mean slamming teeth down and shaking vigorously side to side?

    --
    I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

    Philippe, Oct 27, 2006
  20. Daniel Silevitch

    jeremy Guest

    >>>Wish I coulda got my ex to swallow like that.

    She probably IS--but for somebody else!

    jeremy, Oct 27, 2006