    understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
    and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.

    -Mike
    Mike L, May 5, 2004

  2. Mike L

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Pelican cases and lens mold/fungus
    >From: Mike L
    >Date: 5/4/04 6:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
    >photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
    >understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
    >and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
    >
    > -Mike

    Use these cases for travel, not long term storage. Pelican cases have a small
    vent which can be opened to allow the contents to breath, or shut to make the
    case air and water tight. But if you use the case for long term storage, you
    are asking for trouble. I live in Nevada where the humidity is very low abd
    there is a lower risk of mold than someone living in Louisianna. for
    example. But I store and use my stuff in Domke bags and ship in Pelican cases.
    Just to be sure.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, May 5, 2004

  3. I use a Pelican case for all of my equipment - and I have a handfull of the
    anti-moisture saches in there to remove any ambient moisture. As far as I
    know, for mould to grow, you need light.

    Derrick
    www.surfworx.com.au

    Surfworx Photography, May 5, 2004
  4. Mike L

    Mark M Guest

    "Surfworx Photography" <> wrote in message
    > I use a Pelican case for all of my equipment - and I have a handfull of

    the
    > anti-moisture saches in there to remove any ambient moisture. As far as I
    > know, for mould to grow, you need light.

    -Tell that to home owners who have internal (no light) wall studs rotting
    from mold!!
    It's gotten so bad in Southern California that everyone's home-owner's
    insurance companies have sent out disclaimers indicating that they cannot
    afford to cover mold damage.
    :)
    It doesn't need light.
    Mark M, May 5, 2004
  5. You'll want to use a desiccant such as silica gel. Just make sure that you
    renew or replace it periodically.

    James

    James Akiyama, May 5, 2004
  6. Mike L

    Xlat Guest

    Why not just put a small dessicant packet in it? Cheap, easy, many
    can be reactivated...

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 01:10:56 GMT, Mike L
    <> wrote:

    >Looking for comments from anyone who has had experience storing
    >photographic equipment in airtight cases, such as Pelican makes? I
    >understand there could be a problem with mold growing in this environment,
    >and would like to know how you have avoided the problem. Thanks.
    >
    > -Mike

    Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!
    Xlat, May 6, 2004
  7. Mike L

    Flower Power Guest

    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I will go the desiccant route
    and depend on relatively frequent use to deter the mold/fungus. Most of the
    comments I've seen on this subject in the usenet archives seem to point at
    long-term storage and humidity. I appreciate all the responses.

    -Mike
    Flower Power, May 6, 2004
  8. Mike L

    George Kerby Guest

    On 5/5/04 9:55 PM, in article Xns94E0E9320D881hml039@24.25.9.42, "Flower
    Power" <> wrote:

    > Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I will go the desiccant route
    > and depend on relatively frequent use to deter the mold/fungus. Most of the
    > comments I've seen on this subject in the usenet archives seem to point at
    > long-term storage and humidity. I appreciate all the responses.
    >
    > -Mike

    Also. Don't keep the pressure adjustment 'screw' it the "locked" position.

    George Kerby, May 6, 2004