    messed with the thing for hours (just as she has) and running up against
    a brick wall.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...

    I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 13, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > >
    >> Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
    > >

    > I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

    Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon supporting
    either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth from the user
    community was such that he had a change of heart.
    EMB, Nov 13, 2008
  4. In article <491c86f2$>,
    says...
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > >
    > > Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
    > >

    > I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.

    I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
    hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
    [groan] listservers ...).

    Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
    issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
    settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
    suspects have alibis.

    Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
    of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
    heart of the matter.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Keith wrote:

    > Have you tried asking at "comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-widows"?

    "ms-widows" -- bit of a Freudian slip there. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
    >>>

    >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

    > Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
    > supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
    > from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.

    I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.
    Enkidu, Nov 14, 2008
  7. In article <491d3b7f$>,
    says...
    > EMB wrote:

    > >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

    > > Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
    > > supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
    > > from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.
    > >

    > I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Heh, when I first ran Pmail it was running on dos, with a gateway from
    waffle which in turn was on a uucp connection. Oh boy, learning how to
    administer waffle was a joy. The gateway was, shall we say obscure? as
    well ...
    Never did the netware thing.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Nov 14, 2008
  8. Peter Huebner

    aspir8or Guest

    After applying Preparation H, Peter Huebner finally got comfortable and wrote:

    > In article <491d3b7f$>,
    > says...
    >> EMB wrote:

    >> > Nope, still supported. After David Harris decided to abandon
    >> > supporting either Mercury or Pegasus the wiling and gnashing of teeth
    >> > from the user community was such that he had a change of heart.
    >> >

    >> I seem to remember a time when it only ran on Netware.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > Heh, when I first ran Pmail it was running on dos, with a gateway from
    > waffle which in turn was on a uucp connection. Oh boy, learning how to
    > administer waffle was a joy. The gateway was, shall we say obscure? as
    > well ...
    > Never did the netware thing.

    Nor here. I remember getting pmail running on drdos, hooked up through the Wellington City Council's free connection called Citylink I think. At the time the only net gateways available in Wellington were VUW and then WCC, but after giving free connection to those in the know for about a year, WCC closed theirs down, for cost reasons, I think, and Actrix started about that time. BBCs, email and IRC, along with ftp, archie and suchlike (ISTR veronica) were available before usenet then the WWW. You really did have to be a geek to use only command line tools to navigate the net.

    Prior to then, my first email was on a Digital 5000/200 running Ultrix, through uucp. That is around the time I came to hate sendmail.cf. I'm sure it's the cause of my hair going prematurely gray.
    --
    Rob
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Chaos will Reign.
    aspir8or, Nov 15, 2008
  9. Peter Huebner

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-11-13, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <491c86f2$>,
    > says...
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Pegasus Mail behaves fine on my machine...
    >> >

    >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.
    >
    > I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
    > hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
    > [groan] listservers ...).
    >
    > Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
    > issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
    > settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
    > suspects have alibis.
    >
    > Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
    > of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
    > heart of the matter.

    When I last used Pmail, there was an option, somewhat hidden away to make the
    option choices sticky. Just a thought.
    Gordon, Nov 15, 2008
  10. Peter Huebner

    neutrino Guest

    On Nov 15, 8:02 pm, Gordon <> wrote:
    > On 2008-11-13, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> I thought it stopped being supported ages ago.

    > >> Cheers,

    > >> Cliff

    > > No, in fact pmail 4.5 beta is out.

    > > I followed the advice and went over to the pmail newsgroup (which I
    > > hadn't even known about, I used to be on the listserver ages ago but
    > > [groan] listservers ...).

    > > Anyway, it's been cleared up for me that we're not looking at a font
    > > issue at all, but at the fact that pmail simply isn't saving it's
    > > settings in the user directory in this case. And all of the usual
    > > suspects have alibis.

    > > Manually editing the pmail.ini file in the user directory has taken care
    > > of the immediate problem, but doesn't really resolve the issue at the
    > > heart of the matter.

    > When I last used Pmail, there was an option, somewhat hidden away to make the
    > option choices sticky. Just a thought.- Hide quoted text -

    not a fix for this, but...
    if you ever consider getting a new Email program...
    you won't do much better than "DreamMail"
    ignore an text about it being unsupported now....
    it's Excellent! Plus for spam control - it has a feature called
    remotecontrol - you get to view what email is on the server, and can
    set a delete - before deciding to receive. - and it's $0:00 !
    neutrino, Nov 15, 2008
  11. In message <gflabq$dvi$>, aspir8or wrote:

    > Prior to then, my first email was on a Digital 5000/200 running Ultrix,
    > through uucp. That is around the time I came to hate sendmail.cf. I'm sure
    > it's the cause of my hair going prematurely gray.

    I did Sendmail for a time (even have the O'Reilly book somewhere). Then on
    my first SuSE install, it recommended Postfix as the default MTA. We gave
    that a try, found out how it was so much easier to do things with, and I've
    never looked back.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 16, 2008