peer to peer

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    I have been looking into peer to peer - where one "dials" the IP
    rather than going through a provider. I got the idea from the recent
    thread on BT Home Hubs.

    I decided to do a bit of local testing myself as I have a Zyxel ATA
    with two lines. So I set the phone book up with two entries each
    pointing to the other line via the external address (I have fixed IPs)
    - You have to use the phone book as you can't "dial" an IP.

    If I call either phone from the other using their "land line numbers",
    ie it goes to the provider and back again, the other phone rings. But
    if I use the speed dial IP entry I just get silence. If I use the
    speed dial entry to call the one I am calling from I get engaged as
    expected. So "something" is happening, just not what I expected. I set
    the phone book entry to be the number provided by the provider for
    that line and the ATA's external IP address.

    I must be missing something obvious. I someone has a setup that works
    by "dialing" IP numbers please PM me and I will give you a number to
    try.

    TIA
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008

  2. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    Bad form to reply to one's own post but....

    With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
    provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
    it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
    other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
    address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
    a one way conversation.

    Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
    packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
    Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008

  3. Dave Saville

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

    RFC3261 will go into just about as much gory detail as you could ask for.

    This website might have some easier to digest information on it though:

    http://www.tech-invite.com/

    cheers,
    Paul.
    Paul Hayes, Jan 11, 2008
  4. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:54:21 UTC, Paul Hayes
    <> wrote:

    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?
    > >

    > RFC3261 will go into just about as much gory detail as you could ask for.
    >
    > This website might have some easier to digest information on it though:
    >
    > http://www.tech-invite.com/

    Excellent - Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Dave Saville

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > Bad form to reply to one's own post but....
    >
    > With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
    > provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
    > it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
    > other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
    > address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
    > a one way conversation.
    >
    > Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
    > packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
    > Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?

    You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
    dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.
    Desk Rabbit, Jan 11, 2008
  6. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:32:38 UTC, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > Bad form to reply to one's own post but....
    > >
    > > With some help from another reader we established that it *can* work
    > > provided that both ends can solve going through NAT. My Zyxel is OK as
    > > it can embed the external IP address in the VOIP packet - but the
    > > other end was not. So my end was trying to reply to his *internal*
    > > address as he normally went through a STUN server. So we ended up with
    > > a one way conversation.
    > >
    > > Still no idea why my Line 1 can't call Line 2 though. Snooping the
    > > packets it appears that they are just throwing invites at each other.
    > > Anyone know where I can find the gory details of VOIP packets?
    > >

    > You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
    > dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.

    Yes I know (it is a 2002) but I was trying to test out "dialing by IP"
    and did not know anyone to try it with.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008
  7. Dave Saville

    wrote:

    > You don't say which Zyxel ATA but on the 2002's I have here, you just
    > dial #### and it dials the phone on the other port.

    Ops - hit the send key too quickly :)

    The other thing the 2002 book does not say is if it is OK to use the
    *same* port numbers for both lines. It would appear from testing that
    one can - the firmware obviously selecting by the SIP number as to
    which phone to route it to.

    Wich the phone book were longer though.

    Thanks for trying to help.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 11, 2008
  8. Dave Saville

    Martin² Guest

    Dave,
    you CAN dial IP numbers directly, start and end with #. use * for .
    e.g.
    #123*45*67*89#
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 12, 2008
  9. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:34:33 UTC, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    > Dave,
    > you CAN dial IP numbers directly, start and end with #. use * for .
    > e.g.
    > #123*45*67*89#

    Martin

    But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
    work on any ATA?

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 12, 2008
  10. Dave Saville

    Graham. Guest

    "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:34:33 UTC, "Martin²" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave,
    >> you CAN dial IP numbers directly, start and end with #. use * for .
    >> e.g.
    >> #123*45*67*89#

    > Martin
    >
    > But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
    > work on any ATA?

    You've missed the point, there isn't a number, it's peer to peer.
    (And FWIW I haven't got it to work either)
    --
    Graham

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jan 12, 2008
  11. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:38:49 UTC, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > "Dave Saville" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 01:34:33 UTC, "Martiný" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dave,
    > >> you CAN dial IP numbers directly, start and end with #. use * for .
    > >> e.g.
    > >> #123*45*67*89#

    > > Martin
    > >
    > > But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
    > > work on any ATA?
    > >

    > You've missed the point, there isn't a number, it's peer to peer.
    > (And FWIW I haven't got it to work either)

    There must be a number - I have two different incoming to the same IP
    on the same port - and they work independently with no problem - So
    there *must* be something to tell which is which and therefore it must
    be the sip number assigned. If you set IP to IP in the phone book you
    specify a number/string and the IP.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 12, 2008
  12. Dave Saville

    alexd Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:27:26 +0000, Dave Saville wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:38:49 UTC, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >> "Dave Saville" <> wrote

    >> > But what about the number? is it 123456#81*81*81*81# ? And does this
    >> > work on any ATA?

    Some ATAs can be configured to ignore calls coming from anywhere other
    than where they've registered to.

    The OP means the 'user' bit of the sip address, ie user@domain [or
    user@ip in this case].

    > There must be a number - I have two different incoming to the same IP on
    > the same port - and they work independently with no problem - So there
    > *must* be something to tell which is which and therefore it must be the
    > sip number assigned. If you set IP to IP in the phone book you specify a
    > number/string and the IP.

    Sipgate tells you in their web interface which 'user' registered. Perhaps
    your service provider offers a similar feature? In any case you'll have
    specified it somewhere in the configuration.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:50:15 up 7 days, 7:14, 2 users, load average: 1.33, 1.16, 1.10
    alexd, Jan 12, 2008
  13. Dave Saville

    Martin² Guest

    Dave:
    >There must be a number - I have two different incoming to the same IP
    >on the same port

    That's because they have registered themselves with your VoIP provider and
    the SIP protocol can differentiate
    between them.

    If you dial directly the IP number of a router, it doesn't need any user id
    / no, and would connect to a SIP device on port 5060. If there two then one
    or both should ring.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jan 13, 2008
  14. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:31:10 UTC, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    > Dave:
    > >There must be a number - I have two different incoming to the same IP
    > >on the same port

    > That's because they have registered themselves with your VoIP provider and
    > the SIP protocol can differentiate
    > between them.
    >
    > If you dial directly the IP number of a router, it doesn't need any user id
    > / no, and would connect to a SIP device on port 5060. If there two then one
    > or both should ring.
    > Regards,

    Hmm, I don't think the Zyxel supports dialing an IP. I just tried and
    the provider the line is registered to.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jan 13, 2008
  15. Dave Saville

    Iain Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > I have two different incoming to the same IP
    > on the same port - and they work independently with no problem

    Which provider?

    - So
    > there *must* be something to tell which is which and therefore it must
    > be the sip number assigned.

    I don't think so, but I'm not sure.
    Iain, Jan 13, 2008
  16. Dave Saville

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:19:01 UTC, Iain <> wrote:

    > Dave Saville wrote:
    > > I have two different incoming to the same IP
    > > on the same port - and they work independently with no problem

    > Which provider?

    Orbtalk & Voiptalk

    > - So
    > > there *must* be something to tell which is which and therefore it must
    > > be the sip number assigned.

    > I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

    Neither am I :)
    --