Peer-to-Peer VOIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by GiJO, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. GiJO

    GiJO Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I'm a bit new to VoIP and would like to setup a peer-to-peer system. I've
    got a couple of mates around the world (and two here in Australia) and would
    like to setup the PC to be able to receive and make calls to a VoIP phone
    via broadband. We all have cable/adsl which is always on through the use of
    a netgear router. Ideally i'd like to be able to plug my ip phone into my
    router and then my PC into the phone, so when someone calls me some software
    on my PC picks that up and forwards it to the phone. Maybe use something
    like email addresses or internet IP Addresses or even a domain name as the
    "phone number". I'd prefer not to have to setup a gateway server and have my
    friends call through that as i don't want to have to pay for bandwidth they
    use when they call and talk to each other!!!

    It's basically just the next level up from using Netmeeting. I'd like the
    phone to ring and to use it like a normal phone. It doesn't need a
    connection to the PSTN network, as i only want it to be used for calling
    other friends with an IP Phone, eventually getting them all up and running!

    Any suggestions or places to start looking?

    --
    Thanks
    Andrew
     
    GiJO, Aug 8, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. GiJO <> wrote:

    > Any suggestions or places to start looking?


    what you are looking for is SIP. Get a SIP client each; register with a
    SIP procy such as for example, Free World Dialup or iptel.org (or use
    your own SIP addresses, maybe in conjunction with some dyn dns serice)
    and make sure you do not have problems with a NAT device or firewall at
    either end, and you should be set.

    There are also proprietary protocols like the one used by Skype.


    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    +49 177 8811442
     
    Georg Schwarz, Aug 8, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. GiJO

    GiJO Guest

    yeah i saw Skype and they have phones you can plug in via USB, there is a
    mobile phone sized one which would be handy, means you can just plug it in
    anywhere and away you go. I'll look into SIP, don't know anything about it
    or what the three letters even mean! Thanks for the tips

    --
    Thanks
    Andrew



    Georg Schwarz wrote:
    > GiJO <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any suggestions or places to start looking?

    >
    > what you are looking for is SIP. Get a SIP client each; register with
    > a SIP procy such as for example, Free World Dialup or iptel.org (or
    > use your own SIP addresses, maybe in conjunction with some dyn dns
    > serice) and make sure you do not have problems with a NAT device or
    > firewall at either end, and you should be set.
    >
    > There are also proprietary protocols like the one used by Skype.
     
    GiJO, Aug 8, 2004
    #3
  4. GiJO

    GiJO Guest

    just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
    recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each phone
    based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What do you mean
    by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will probably have
    a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward (do i
    forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to the IP Phone?)

    --
    Thanks
    Andrew



    Georg Schwarz wrote:
    > GiJO <> wrote:
    >
    >> Any suggestions or places to start looking?

    >
    > what you are looking for is SIP. Get a SIP client each; register with
    > a SIP procy such as for example, Free World Dialup or iptel.org (or
    > use your own SIP addresses, maybe in conjunction with some dyn dns
    > serice) and make sure you do not have problems with a NAT device or
    > firewall at either end, and you should be set.
    >
    > There are also proprietary protocols like the one used by Skype.
     
    GiJO, Aug 8, 2004
    #4
  5. GiJO <> wrote:

    > just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
    > recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each phone
    > based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What do you mean


    SIP supports both, with a DNS-based address being more flexible of
    course

    > by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will probably have


    it refers to the addressing scheme used by SIP (aka Session Initiation
    Protocol; an Internet standard); think of it like an "email address" for
    real-time communications.

    > a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward (do i
    > forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to the IP Phone?)


    SIP uses dynamic port allocation, so your NAT device and firewall must
    most likely explicitely support SIP (or you have to fiddle with some
    port ranges, which depend on your particular SIP client).
    If you are using a SIP phone, then that phone *is* the SIP client (just
    as a PC with an appropriate software for example).
    --
    Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
    +49 177 8811442
     
    Georg Schwarz, Aug 8, 2004
    #5
  6. GiJO

    GiJO Guest

    awesome... thanks for the heads-up it makes more sense. So effectively a SIP
    phone is like a mini PC in itself, you can configure the internet gateway
    (router), and then enter in the ip address to call and you're talking over
    the net! I think there is a package for linux which can handle SIP, so i
    could install that and it would sort out all the port forwarding etc. I'm
    tipping SIP phones aren't cheap though.

    --
    Thanks
    Andrew



    Georg Schwarz wrote:
    > GiJO <> wrote:
    >
    >> just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
    >> recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each
    >> phone based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What
    >> do you mean

    >
    > SIP supports both, with a DNS-based address being more flexible of
    > course
    >
    >> by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will
    >> probably have

    >
    > it refers to the addressing scheme used by SIP (aka Session Initiation
    > Protocol; an Internet standard); think of it like an "email address"
    > for real-time communications.
    >
    >> a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward
    >> (do i forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to
    >> the IP Phone?)

    >
    > SIP uses dynamic port allocation, so your NAT device and firewall must
    > most likely explicitely support SIP (or you have to fiddle with some
    > port ranges, which depend on your particular SIP client).
    > If you are using a SIP phone, then that phone *is* the SIP client
    > (just as a PC with an appropriate software for example).
     
    GiJO, Aug 9, 2004
    #6
  7. GiJO

    Carlos Guest

    Try www.nikotel.com thats what I have you can call each other with a number you
    choose to call another Nikotel.
     
    Carlos, Aug 10, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Doug A Moller

    Need help with peer to peer no hub network

    Doug A Moller, Jun 23, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    5,803
  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEM=?=

    peer to peer linking and sharing

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEM=?=, Aug 23, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    718
    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbEM=?=
    Aug 23, 2004
  3. Patrick Page

    Peer to peer wifi setup

    Patrick Page, Sep 12, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    5,911
    Patrick Page
    Sep 13, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=

    Trouble installing the peer-to-peer component

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFya28=?=, Dec 27, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,326
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWFuSA==?=

    Peer to Peer Connection using ICQ

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaWFuSA==?=, Dec 27, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    2,411
    anjeepsolution
    Sep 30, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page