Peer-to-peer network problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by johngross, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. johngross

    johngross Guest

    I have been trying - with mixed success - to set up a peer-to-peer
    wireless network between two laptops, both running WinXP SP3.

    One is a Fujitsu S6140, the other is a Dell Latitude 410; both have
    inbuilt WiFi capability.

    I have previously been totally successful in setting up an unsecured
    connection between a Fujitsu S6130 (which was stolen) and a Compaq
    Presario 1925 (recently "died") with a Netgear PCMCIA card.

    I want to use the peer-to-peer option, because for the purposes of
    this connection there is no need for internet access, and we want to
    be able to communicate between the computers in many different places.

    With the current laptops, I decided to try for a secure network setup,
    but at first nothing I did (following the most detailed instructions I
    could find) seemed to work properly: the two laptops seemed to
    *connect* OK, but on one or other or both I could not see the folders
    set up as shared on the other.

    Then one day last week, without being aware of what I had done
    differently this time, everything seemed to work OK, and over the
    weekend we used the connection several times... but not very reliably:
    every few minutes the application using the connection fell over,
    saying it could not find the shared folder on the other system; it
    seemed to come good if we closed the appliction on both systems and
    started it again, but this was hardly satisfactory.

    Since then, I have tried several times to diagnose the problem, with
    little success... except that I've noticed more than once that,
    although the connection gets started (with both laptops showing
    *Security-enabled network* and *Connected* in Network Connections),
    within a fairly short time the Dell system changes from *Security-
    enabled* to *Unsecured*... even without any attempt to access shared
    folders or files.

    I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me why this
    might be happening, and what I need to do to make the connection
    stable?

    johngross, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Hi
    I am Not sure what is the configuration that you are using and what is that
    you call peer-to-peer?
    When computers are plugged to a Wireless Cable/DSL Router, whether it is
    wire only, wireless only, mix of the two, with or without the Internet, they
    form a peer-to-peer Network. If the computers Sharing is Not configured,
    the computers would only surf the Internet, if the File sharing is
    configured they would surf the Internet, and would communicate one with the
    other. If the Internet is cut Off they would keep Sharing.
    To Share Files and or Printers under any peer-to-peer configuration.
    Firewall instructions.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -