    Cheers

    -Al
    , Mar 22, 2007

  2. gordon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Can someone please put me on the right track here.
    >
    > I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
    > a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
    > each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
    > ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
    > on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
    > identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
    > to gain access.
    >
    > Or use something like NET USE * \\server\share /user:username password
    >
    > However I tried this without the password and it worked.
    >
    > Can someone please explain why?

    Probably because you are using XP Home edition and the Guest account is
    enabled on both.....that wouldn't happen on XP Pro unless you (as you say)
    have the same User set up on each....

    gordon, Mar 22, 2007

  3. On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:46:57 -0700, BigAl.NZ wrote:

    > I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
    > a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
    > each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
    > ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
    > on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
    > identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
    > to gain access.

    Install an FTP server on one, and an FTP client on the other.

    Put a second NIC in the one with the server and use that as the gateway to
    the Internet.

    Set the second to use the first as its gateway.

    That way you'll be able to use FTP to transfer files.

    Also, if you were using a better OS that M$ Windows you would be able to
    set up NFS on both and then have the file system on one showing up as if
    it were a part of the native internal file system of the other.

    That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
    necessary.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Arno Edelmann: "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."
    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Enkidu Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 01:46:57 -0700, BigAl.NZ wrote:
    >
    >> I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
    >> a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
    >> each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
    >> ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
    >> on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
    >> identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
    >> to gain access.

    > Install an FTP server on one, and an FTP client on the other.

    Lennier, he already has file sharing working. His question (part of
    which you snipped was about *why* it worked without requiring user login.

    > Put a second NIC in the one with the server and use that as the gateway to
    > the Internet.
    >
    > Set the second to use the first as its gateway.
    >
    > That way you'll be able to use FTP to transfer files.

    That wasn't his question. He already can do that.

    > Also, if you were using a better OS that M$ Windows you would be able to
    > set up NFS on both and then have the file system on one showing up as if
    > it were a part of the native internal file system of the other.

    He's already able to do that!

    > That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
    > necessary.

    It works for him and millions of other. You probably know it better as
    'Samba'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Mar 22, 2007
  5. On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:31:46 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >> That way none of that bullshit "Simple File Sharing" rubbish would be
    >> necessary.
    >>

    > It works for him and millions of other. You probably know it better as
    > 'Samba'.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I know Samba. I know NFS better - I use NFS to have the documents on my
    file server available from my desktop.

    No drive letter required. It's simply a part of the file system (like any
    other partition is.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 23, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Can someone please put me on the right track here.
    >
    > I was under the impression that if you had two XP PC's connected with
    > a crossover cable, Simple File Sharing turned on and a share set up on
    > each PC that to access the share there would be some authentication,
    > ie you would need to supply a user name and password of either a user
    > on the machine that you want to access, or you must have created a
    > identical user and password on the machine from which you are trying
    > to gain access.
    >
    > Or use something like NET USE * \\server\share /user:username password
    >
    > However I tried this without the password and it worked.
    >
    > Can someone please explain why?
    >
    > Does it change if I am doing this with a XP<->Vista PC, ie does vista
    > have simple file sharing or is it all permissions based?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Al

    Since the abundence of other replies have completely ignored your
    question, I will attempt an answer.

    If you have 'Simple Flie Sharing' enabled (on both server & client),
    this bypasses the user having to supply correct credentials as all
    clients connect as the 'Guest' user, and shares are made available to
    'Guest' (or maybe 'Everybody' - not sure on this).

    When SFS is turned off, is when you must authenticate as an authorised
    user of the share on the server that is hosting it. If there is no
    domain authentication (as in a peer to peer network) then the connecting
    client must authenticate with the username & password of an existing
    user on the server. The shares must also have permissions set for the
    correct user to connect.

    So if you just want to connect two XP boxen to transfer files, turn on
    SFS, get the job done quick, then find something fun to do with all your
    spare time. (maybe read all the NFS man pages?)

    As for Vista...don't know yet. Will probably have to know soon.
    dilberts_left_nut, Mar 26, 2007