    the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
    any recommendations or advice?
    Thanks

    LAH, Oct 3, 2007

  2. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Oops, should have read XPS not WPS. Sorry for the error.

    LAH, Oct 3, 2007

  3. LAH

    Evan Platt Guest

    PDF's a pretty set standard. Almost everyone has it or can get it.

    Evan Platt, Oct 3, 2007
  4. LAH

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-10-03, LAH <> wrote:
    > Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
    > save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
    > Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
    > the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
    > any recommendations or advice?
    > Thanks

    If the only person who needs access to the billing documents is you, and
    you have software to read Microsoft's proprietary XPS files, then perhaps
    it makes no difference. If you have customers or others who need to be
    able to read and print the billing information, then you should use a
    non-proprietary file format such as 'Portable Document Format' for which
    there are a variety of freely-available 'readers' for use on all popular
    current operating systems.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Oct 3, 2007
  5. LAH

    sittingduck Guest

    LAH wrote:

    > Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy
    > and save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe
    > (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with
    > both, and on the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference.
    > Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
    > Thanks

    PDF will be a lot less of a PITA. Even total incompetents can figure out POS
    Adobe Reader. People more savvy will use something like Foxit Reader.

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org

    sittingduck, Oct 3, 2007
  6. LAH

    LAH Guest

    Guess the verdict is in. I'll go with the pdf format. What you folks
    posted makes good sense. Thanks for the advice.

    LAH, Oct 4, 2007
  7. LAH

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, LAH
    <> wrote:

    > Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy and
    > save the online billing to a file on my computer. I can use adobe (pdf) or
    > Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've experimented with both, and on
    > the surface there doesn't appear to be much difference. Does anyone have
    > any recommendations or advice?
    > Thanks

    Are you kidding?
    Avoid Microsoft solutions AT ALL COST!

    You should NEVER volunteer to work with a Microsoft-proprietary format.
    That is what many people are struggling with today -- even many who
    insist there is no other choice.

    Mitch, Oct 21, 2007
  8. LAH wrote:

    > Ok, I've decided to go with paperless billing, but I'm wanting to copy
    > and save the online billing to a file on my computer.

    There is a question at this point.

    How is the 'online billing' accomplished? Are you emailing an invoice
    to the customers? If so, PDF is good, and you can save a copy.

    However, billing records are normally stored in a *database*.

    I would generate a PDF to email, then put the record in a table(s) in my
    database. Depending on the amount of your billing, storing hundreds or
    thousands of PDFs will become unwieldy soon.

    > I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS) I've
    > experimented with both, and on the surface there doesn't appear to be
    > much difference. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
    > Thanks

    What is your knowledge of databases?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 21, 2007
  9. "LAH" <> wrote in

    > I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS)
    > [snip]
    > Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

    Let's see, you can use the international standard for document
    sharing that everyone on the planet can read(pdf). or you can use
    some kludge that only people using the latest Micro$oft software
    can open.

    Does this clarify things for you?

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,
    however improbable, must be the truth. (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

    Christopher Jahn, Oct 21, 2007
  10. LAH

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Christopher Jahn" wrote in message

    > "LAH" wrote :
    >>
    >> I can use adobe (pdf) or Microsoft XPS Document Writer ( WPS)
    >> [snip]
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

    > Let's see, you can use the international standard for document
    > sharing that everyone on the planet can read(pdf). or you can use
    > some kludge that only people using the latest Micro$oft software
    > can open.

    If PDF was the open standard that Adobe claims, why did they threaten
    Microsoft with a lawsuit if they provided support for PDF in Office
    2007? Because no one else that used PDF (other than Adobe) was a
    threat to Adobe's revenue. PDF is officially an ISO document standard
    but Adobe doesn't see it that way. Microsoft wanted to put PDF
    support in Office 2007. With Adobe's threats, Microsoft decided to
    come up with their own XPS document standard. So go bitch about XPS
    to Adobe. If it weren't for Adobe's threat, Microsoft would've gone
    with PDF.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=+adobe +microsoft +PDF +lawsuit

    VanguardLH, Oct 21, 2007