    The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    Justin, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Justin

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:33:52 -0600, Justin wrote (in article
    <geo8q0$deu$>):

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out. The same thing
    > happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now... as that laptop
    > is going to be Linux soon. There has to be something better than the piece
    > of shit Adobe puts out.

    The print dialog for OS X allows one to select "printing" to a .pdf instead
    of to a printer. Does this not do what you would like?

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....
    TaliesinSoft, Nov 4, 2008

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    TaliesinSoft wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:33:52 -0600, Justin wrote (in article
    > <geo8q0$deu$>):
    >
    >> Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    >> out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    >> once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out. The same thing
    >> happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now... as that laptop
    >> is going to be Linux soon. There has to be something better than the piece
    >> of shit Adobe puts out.

    > The print dialog for OS X allows one to select "printing" to a .pdf instead
    > of to a printer. Does this not do what you would like?

    Nope.
    It doesn't let me.
    Justin, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Justin

    Rowbotth Guest

    In article <geo8q0$deu$>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.
    > The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    > as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    > There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    And is there a reason that you are not happy to print the thing out and
    use that as an author's copy? Our Government uses this for Passport
    applications amongst other things, and I would think that the printed
    copy would hold a lot of water in case of a dispute?

    It is a good question and I am glad it was asked.

    H.
    Rowbotth, Nov 4, 2008
  5. In article <geo8q0$deu$>, Justin
    <> wrote:

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.

    Preview can Print to PDF.
    Jeffrey Jones, Nov 4, 2008
  6. "Jeffrey Jones" <> wrote in message
    > In article <geo8q0$deu$>, Justin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    >> out the information?

    Well now, if there was a piece of software that allowed you to make changes
    to a pdf document and then allowed you to save those changes then it would
    be an "editor" wouldn't it, not a "viewer". So now stop, think, and perhaps,
    if necessary, ask your question again.

    J¡m ßéâñ, Nov 4, 2008
  7. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Rowbotth wrote:
    > In article <geo8q0$deu$>,
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    >> out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    >> once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.
    >> The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    >> as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    >> There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    > And is there a reason that you are not happy to print the thing out and
    > use that as an author's copy? Our Government uses this for Passport
    > applications amongst other things, and I would think that the printed
    > copy would hold a lot of water in case of a dispute?
    >
    > It is a good question and I am glad it was asked.
    >
    > H.

    OK, let's go over this again.
    I downloaded Schedule M1 from the IRS. It is for a homework assignment.
    I would like to type in the numbers, and email it to my prof. He says
    it can be done.
    I tried using Preview but it won't save my numbers.
    I tried saving using Adobe's reader with the same result. I tried using
    the PDF function and it barked at me saying I had to use FILE then SAVE
    which once again blows away my numbers.
    Justin, Nov 4, 2008
  8. Justin

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    > Preview can Print to PDF.

    Not when the source is a PDF document that intentionally
    has form completion enabled but saving disabled.

    I don't know why IRS does that. REALLY irritating.
    I like to fill in what I can and come back to it when
    another document arrives.

    I haven't tried it, but I wonder whether ghostscript
    would allow bypassing the restrictions.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.
    -- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680
    Wes Groleau, Nov 4, 2008
  9. Justin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:33:52 -0500, Justin wrote
    (in article <geo8q0$deu$>):

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information?

    Preview. Adobe Viewer. Acrobat. Illustrator. Photoshop. Graphic Converter.
    The built-in PDF services in the OS. PDF Key. There are probably others.

    > For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.

    So when printing it, select 'save as PDF' and now you have a PDF file.

    > The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    > as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    > There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    What's wrong with Adobe Reader or Acrobat?

    J.J. O'Shea, Nov 4, 2008
  10. Justin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:42:36 -0500, Justin wrote
    (in article <geo9ac$deu$>):

    > TaliesinSoft wrote:
    >> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 19:33:52 -0600, Justin wrote (in article
    >> <geo8q0$deu$>):
    >>
    >>> Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    >>> out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    >>> once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out. The same thing
    >>> happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now... as that laptop
    >>> is going to be Linux soon. There has to be something better than the piece
    >>> of shit Adobe puts out.

    >> The print dialog for OS X allows one to select "printing" to a .pdf instead
    >> of to a printer. Does this not do what you would like?
    >>

    > Nope.
    > It doesn't let me.

    That's very strange. What app are you printing from?

    J.J. O'Shea, Nov 4, 2008
  11. Justin

    J.J. O'Shea Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:27:14 -0500, Wes Groleau wrote
    (in article <miPPk.2724$>):

    > Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    >> Preview can Print to PDF.

    > Not when the source is a PDF document that intentionally
    > has form completion enabled but saving disabled.

    Ah, it's one of those. Select all, copy, paste into a new document. That
    usually works. If not, get a screen shot of the completed document
    (shift-command-4, hit spacebar, click on correct window) and use that.

    > I don't know why IRS does that. REALLY irritating.

    They're the IRS. Irritating is what they do best.

    J.J. O'Shea, Nov 4, 2008
  12. Justin

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <geo8q0$deu$>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.
    > The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    > as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    > There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    There is a backend for CUPS printers which presents itself to Mac OS as
    a (virtual) printer. I use it for a variety of purposes, including when
    Acrobat won't permit "Save as PDF".

    Visit <http://www.codepoetry.net/projects/cups-pdf-for-mosx> for full
    details.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller, Nov 4, 2008
  13. Justin

    Telstar Guest

    "Wes Groleau" <> wrote in message
    > Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    >> Preview can Print to PDF.

    > Not when the source is a PDF document that intentionally
    > has form completion enabled but saving disabled.
    >
    > I don't know why IRS does that. REALLY irritating.
    > I like to fill in what I can and come back to it when
    > another document arrives.
    >
    > I haven't tried it, but I wonder whether ghostscript
    > would allow bypassing the restrictions.
    >
    > --
    > Wes Groleau
    >
    > He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

    -- Samuel Butler, 1612-1680

    FINALLY the correct answer. Most advanced editors allow the author to
    determine just what and what cannot be done with a pdf.
    Telstar, Nov 4, 2008
  14. Justin

    Salmon Egg Guest

    In article <>,
    J.J. O'Shea <> wrote:

    > > I don't know why IRS does that. REALLY irritating.

    > They're the IRS. Irritating is what they do best.

    I think that the Government has conspired to keep business opportunities
    open. It would be very easy to electronically file by uploading a income
    tax file to an IRS web site, but that means you would be able to avoid
    having to pay a third party lie Turbotax for that privilege. It would
    also be possible for the IRS to link the forms together so that you do
    not need an third party to fill ougt the forms.

    It is this policy as implemented by Congress that has led to our current
    economic crisis. Boost business while ignoring collateral damage. I, for
    one, would be happy to pay a few hundred dollars more to the IRS so that
    I would not have to jump through all the hoops required to prepare an
    income tax return.

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Nov 4, 2008
  15. Justin

    Jim Guest

    In article <miPPk.2724$>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    > > Preview can Print to PDF.

    > Not when the source is a PDF document that intentionally
    > has form completion enabled but saving disabled.
    >
    > I don't know why IRS does that. REALLY irritating.
    > I like to fill in what I can and come back to it when
    > another document arrives.
    >
    > I haven't tried it, but I wonder whether ghostscript
    > would allow bypassing the restrictions.

    I know this one only too well. I got burned on it with several
    forms last year before I went back and looked at them and found
    no data.

    What I ended up doing was using Acrobat to fill in the form and
    print it. Then date and sign in blue ink, scan back in so I have
    a complete copy of the original. Extra work, yes. But when the
    IRS and/or Post Office loses your stuff, it's a lot easier to
    reprint that scanned original than to print, sign and date a
    new copy. Which does help if you also send all correspondence
    to the IRS Certified/Return Receipt.

    But since the OP only wants to fill out and email copy to his
    instructor, I would say that printing to PDF from Acrobat should
    work for him. (I know, it's not free)

    --
    Edo ergo sum
    Jim, Nov 4, 2008
  16. Justin

    Király Guest

    In comp.sys.mac.apps Justin <> wrote:
    > I downloaded Schedule M1 from the IRS. It is for a homework assignment.
    > I would like to type in the numbers, and email it to my prof. He says
    > it can be done.
    > I tried using Preview but it won't save my numbers.

    A solution that works with Preview may just be over the horizon. You
    may need to wait a few weeks and then run Software Update. I can't say
    any more at this time. In fact I'm walking a thin line by even saying
    this much.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
    Király, Nov 4, 2008
  17. Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > Jeffrey Jones wrote:
    > > Preview can Print to PDF.

    > Not when the source is a PDF document that intentionally
    > has form completion enabled but saving disabled.

    Really? I understand that you can't save it (and thus can't get an
    editable copy). I've found that really annoying in the past myself when
    I had a form half filled in and wanted to come back and do teh rest
    later.

    But are you sure that preview won't let you do the print to pdf thing? I
    thought that was just part of the general print dialog interface and not
    directly under preview's control. I'm a suspicious that people are
    confusing preview's save with the pdf option in the print dialog.

    I could certainly be wrong. I don't have one of those annoying forms
    handy to check with. But I also see a possibility that people might be
    confusing the two ways of getting a pdf file. I know that the preview
    SAVE option won't do the trick here, but I'm not so sure about print to
    pdf.

    For the OP's purpose, it seems like a print to pdf ought to be
    sufficient if it works. I quite agree that, even if it works, it is
    awkward for other purposes, as it doesn't leave you with a form that is
    still editable.

    domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
    Richard Maine, Nov 4, 2008
  18. Justin

    W^3 Guest

    In article <geo8q0$deu$>,
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.
    > The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    > as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    > There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    Every pdf file from the irs I've ever used has been save-enabled. For
    2007 taxes I filled out forms 1040, 6781, 8606, 8829, A, B, C, and D.
    Every one of them still has all the data I entered last year.

    State tax forms in OR don't allow this for some reason.
    W^3, Nov 4, 2008
  19. Justin

    AES Guest

    In article <1ipvmql.159cffh1g948cgN%>,
    ature (Richard Maine) wrote:

    > But are you sure that preview won't let you do the print to pdf thing? I

    Just as one data point, FWIW:

    If I open _any_ PDF document with Acrobat 7.0 Standard under OS
    10.4.11and select File >> Print, the Acrobat Print dialog box that opens
    does have the usual Preview button and the "PDF" drop down menu button
    down at the bottom (along with other options plus a kind of preview pane
    in the dialog itself), and these buttons are not greyed out.

    But if I attempt to select either the Preview button or the Save as PDF
    option in the PDF drop-down menu, I get a message "Preview [or Save to
    PDF] is not supported".

    I can go ahead and print to a printer from the Acrobat Print dialog
    itself, but these Mac-specific options definitely do not work.

    So far as I can tell, this occurs for _all_ PDF documents, not just
    password-protected ones.
    AES, Nov 4, 2008
  20. Justin

    owen.richard Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Is there a PDF viewer for OSX that will let me save a PDF after I filled
    > out the information? For example I downloaded Schedule M-1 from the IRS
    > once I type in all the numbers I can only print it out.
    > The same thing happens on my XP machine, but that's not important now...
    > as that laptop is going to be Linux soon.
    > There has to be something better than the piece of shit Adobe puts out.

    Justin,
    When you select print, notice PDF option button, when allows saving
    composite file as a .pdf
    Richard
    owen.richard, Nov 4, 2008