    documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them into
    bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.

    Any ideas...?

    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005

  2. Rich Wilson

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:00:06 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:

    >This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really ought
    >to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page of

    There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    convert pdf to postscript
    .. (0.35 seconds)

    >it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're essentially
    >the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the

    If you think that it should be easy to write a converter.

    >"guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't find

    Use a hex file viewer and look at a PDF and a PS file, see how much the
    same they are.

    >Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    >expensive commercial package.

    For a business, and it's a regular requirement that doesn't seem to be
    an issue.

    PlanetPDF website

    Adobe Acrobat , File Save as PS and Print to PS.

    A PS printer driver.

    >In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    >documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them into
    >bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.

    That's just bad.

    >Any ideas...?

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2005

  3. Rich Wilson

    old jon Guest

    "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    > ought to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single
    > page of it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're
    > essentially the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting
    > some of the "guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file.
    > But I can't find Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from
    > one fairly expensive commercial package.
    >
    > In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    > documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them
    > into bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.
    >
    > Any ideas...?

    Open PDF in Acrobat 6. Copy to Clipboard. Then paste it into Word.
    HTH. bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 21, 2005
  4. Rich Wilson

    Livewire Guest

    In article <aW0qf.18852$>, rich@spam-
    spamson.co.uk says...

    > This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really ought
    > to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page of
    > it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're essentially
    > the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the
    > "guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't find
    > Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    > expensive commercial package.
    >
    > In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    > documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them into
    > bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.
    >
    > Any ideas...?

    I used to do this, but not recently. So my answer is from memory.

    Install a printer driver for a Postscript printer -- you don't need the
    actual printer connnected. Then choose print to file from the print
    menu.

    Livewire, Dec 21, 2005
  5. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:00:06 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >

    >>This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >>ought
    >>to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page
    >>of

    > There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    > convert pdf to postscript
    > . (0.35 seconds)

    OF COURSE I'VE TRIED GOOGLE!!!!! Did you actually read any further than the
    bit you quoted? Try again and you'll see why I asked here.

    >>it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're essentially
    >>the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the

    > If you think that it should be easy to write a converter.

    Well I could do it myself but I don't have a couple of months to spare while
    I get my head round the PDF specification.

    >>"guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't
    >>find

    > Use a hex file viewer and look at a PDF and a PS file, see how much the
    > same they are.

    Old-fashioned PostScript files are script that is readable in a text editor.
    PDFs are compressed so I really wouldn't expect to see any similarity at
    all.

    >>Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    >>expensive commercial package.

    > For a business, and it's a regular requirement that doesn't seem to be
    > an issue.

    It wouldn't be if I was the IT manager. Unfortunately I'm not so free
    software would be much easier from my point of view.

    > PlanetPDF website

    Can't find anything useful on there after a quick search.

    > Adobe Acrobat , File Save as PS and Print to PS.

    Now we're talking... I don't happen to have a full copy of Acrobat but how
    well does this work? Does it keep text as text or convert it to outlines?

    > A PS printer driver.

    See my reply to Livewire.

    >>In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    >>documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them
    >>into
    >>bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.

    > That's just bad.

    It's bad but it's reliable, at least.

    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005
  6. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Livewire" <> wrote in message
    > In article <aW0qf.18852$>, rich@spam-
    > spamson.co.uk says...
    >>
    >> This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >> ought
    >> to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page
    >> of
    >> it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're essentially
    >> the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the
    >> "guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't
    >> find
    >> Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    >> expensive commercial package.
    >>
    >> In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    >> documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them
    >> into
    >> bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.
    >>
    >> Any ideas...?
    >>

    > I used to do this, but not recently. So my answer is from memory.
    >
    > Install a printer driver for a Postscript printer -- you don't need the
    > actual printer connnected. Then choose print to file from the print
    > menu.

    Thanks. I've tried this with every Postscript driver I can find and one of
    two things happens:
    1. Text gets converted to outlines (and very jagged ones at that thanks to
    Postscript's daft resolution). This obviously makes the PS files very big
    and slow to work with in Office.
    ....or...
    2. Text gets converted to gibberish (still as text, not outlines)

    Do you know of any drivers that will process text properly?

    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005
  7. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >> ought to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a
    >> single page of it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly,
    >> they're essentially the same format so it should just be a matter of
    >> extracting some of the "guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a
    >> separate file. But I can't find Windows (XP) software anywhere that will
    >> do it apart from one fairly expensive commercial package.
    >>
    >> In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    >> documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them
    >> into bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.
    >>
    >> Any ideas...?
    >>

    > Open PDF in Acrobat 6. Copy to Clipboard. Then paste it into Word.
    > HTH. bw..OJ

    Using Acrobat *Reader* this gives me a very low-resolution bitmap. Does full
    Acrobat do the job properly?

    Rich Wilson, Dec 21, 2005
  8. Rich Wilson

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:11:26 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:

    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:00:06 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >>

    >>>This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >>>ought
    >>>to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page
    >>>of

    >> There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    >> convert pdf to postscript
    >> . (0.35 seconds)

    >OF COURSE I'VE TRIED GOOGLE!!!!! Did you actually read any further than the
    >bit you quoted? Try again and you'll see why I asked here.

    You also said there was only 1 solution, there isn't.

    >>>it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're essentially
    >>>the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the

    >> If you think that it should be easy to write a converter.

    >Well I could do it myself but I don't have a couple of months to spare while
    >I get my head round the PDF specification.
    >
    >>>"guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't
    >>>find

    >> Use a hex file viewer and look at a PDF and a PS file, see how much the
    >> same they are.

    >Old-fashioned PostScript files are script that is readable in a text editor.
    >PDFs are compressed so I really wouldn't expect to see any similarity at
    >all.

    So that's not essentially the same format as you said.

    >>>Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    >>>expensive commercial package.

    >> For a business, and it's a regular requirement that doesn't seem to be
    >> an issue.

    >It wouldn't be if I was the IT manager. Unfortunately I'm not so free
    >software would be much easier from my point of view.
    >
    >> PlanetPDF website

    >Can't find anything useful on there after a quick search.
    >
    >> Adobe Acrobat , File Save as PS and Print to PS.

    >Now we're talking... I don't happen to have a full copy of Acrobat but how
    >well does this work? Does it keep text as text or convert it to outlines?

    Duh BUY ONE!

    That's my point in a Google search Adobe Acrobat is one of the top
    answers.

    >> A PS printer driver.

    >See my reply to Livewire.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 22, 2005
  9. Rich Wilson

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:17:39 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:

    >"old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >>> ought to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a

    <snip>

    >>> Any ideas...?
    >>>

    >> Open PDF in Acrobat 6. Copy to Clipboard. Then paste it into Word.
    >> HTH. bw..OJ

    >Using Acrobat *Reader* this gives me a very low-resolution bitmap. Does full
    >Acrobat do the job properly?

    Saw that many years ago, IIRC that's a problem internal to Windows using
    cut/paste and automatic metafile conversions.

    Me

    why?, Dec 22, 2005
  10. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:11:26 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    >>> convert pdf to postscript
    >>> . (0.35 seconds)

    >>OF COURSE I'VE TRIED GOOGLE!!!!! Did you actually read any further than
    >>the
    >>bit you quoted? Try again and you'll see why I asked here.

    > You also said there was only 1 solution, there isn't.

    I said I'd only seen one, fairly expensive, commercial package. Seeing as I
    wasn't looking for commercial packages I may have overlooked one or two. So
    what?

    >>> If you think that it should be easy to write a converter.

    >>Well I could do it myself but I don't have a couple of months to spare
    >>while
    >>I get my head round the PDF specification.

    >>> Use a hex file viewer and look at a PDF and a PS file, see how much the
    >>> same they are.

    >>Old-fashioned PostScript files are script that is readable in a text
    >>editor.
    >>PDFs are compressed so I really wouldn't expect to see any similarity at
    >>all.

    > So that's not essentially the same format as you said.

    Yes it is. The point is, getting the Postscript out of a PDF ought to be a
    simple process (decompression) rather than a complicated conversion.

    >>> For a business, and it's a regular requirement that doesn't seem to be
    >>> an issue.

    >>It wouldn't be if I was the IT manager. Unfortunately I'm not so free
    >>software would be much easier from my point of view.
    >>
    >>> PlanetPDF website

    >>Can't find anything useful on there after a quick search.
    >>
    >>> Adobe Acrobat , File Save as PS and Print to PS.

    >>Now we're talking... I don't happen to have a full copy of Acrobat but how
    >>well does this work? Does it keep text as text or convert it to outlines?

    > Duh BUY ONE!

    Is that what you do when you want to know if some expensive piece of
    software does what you want? Buy it then throw it away if it doesn't work as
    you expected?

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  11. Rich Wilson

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:11:26 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:

    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 00:00:06 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >>

    >>>This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >>>ought
    >>>to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single page
    >>>of

    >> There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    >> convert pdf to postscript
    >> . (0.35 seconds)

    >OF COURSE I'VE TRIED GOOGLE!!!!! Did you actually read any further than the
    >bit you quoted? Try again and you'll see why I asked here.

    So you did see the GSview / Ghostscript stuff.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 22, 2005
  12. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:11:26 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> There most likely is, and you haven't tried www.google.com yet?
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 1,190,000 English pages for
    >>> convert pdf to postscript
    >>> . (0.35 seconds)

    >>OF COURSE I'VE TRIED GOOGLE!!!!! Did you actually read any further than
    >>the
    >>bit you quoted? Try again and you'll see why I asked here.

    > So you did see the GSview / Ghostscript stuff.

    Yes. I've tried it... Ghostscript gave me an EPS with the text converted to
    outlines, and only part of it showed when imported into MS Office. GSview
    rasterised everything. Slowly.

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  13. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:17:39 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >

    >>"old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Rich Wilson" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>

    >>> Open PDF in Acrobat 6. Copy to Clipboard. Then paste it into Word.
    >>> HTH. bw..OJ

    >>Using Acrobat *Reader* this gives me a very low-resolution bitmap. Does
    >>full
    >>Acrobat do the job properly?

    > Saw that many years ago, IIRC that's a problem internal to Windows using
    > cut/paste and automatic metafile conversions.

    It is possible to correctly cut-and-paste vector data between applications.
    I frequently do this between AutoCAD and Powerpoint. It appears Acrobat
    Reader doesn't support it though.

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  14. Rich Wilson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:%7nqf.41463$,
    Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:17:39 GMT, Rich Wilson wrote:
    >>

    >>> "old jon" <> wrote in message

    >>> Using Acrobat *Reader* this gives me a very low-resolution bitmap.
    >>> Does full
    >>> Acrobat do the job properly?

    >> Saw that many years ago, IIRC that's a problem internal to Windows
    >> using cut/paste and automatic metafile conversions.

    > It is possible to correctly cut-and-paste vector data between
    > applications. I frequently do this between AutoCAD and Powerpoint. It
    > appears Acrobat Reader doesn't support it though.

    Actually, yes, it does. I have received PDFs from the CAD dept in our office
    in Ohio, and copied/pasted the drawing section (graphics select tool) into
    Corel Draw then exported to DXF and imported into my CAD program and had an
    exact (I mean *exact*) CAD file to work with.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2005
  15. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:%7nqf.41463$,
    > Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> Saw that many years ago, IIRC that's a problem internal to Windows
    >>> using cut/paste and automatic metafile conversions.

    >> It is possible to correctly cut-and-paste vector data between
    >> applications. I frequently do this between AutoCAD and Powerpoint. It
    >> appears Acrobat Reader doesn't support it though.

    > Actually, yes, it does. I have received PDFs from the CAD dept in our
    > office in Ohio, and copied/pasted the drawing section (graphics select
    > tool) into Corel Draw then exported to DXF and imported into my CAD
    > program and had an exact (I mean *exact*) CAD file to work with.

    Hmm, interesting. Does CorelDraw also open PDF files?
    By the way, when you say *exact* that's only exact to the nearest 1/72 of an
    inch...

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  16. Rich Wilson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:eknqf.41503$,
    Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:%7nqf.41463$,
    >> Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    >>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> It is possible to correctly cut-and-paste vector data between
    >>> applications. I frequently do this between AutoCAD and Powerpoint.
    >>> It appears Acrobat Reader doesn't support it though.

    >> Actually, yes, it does. I have received PDFs from the CAD dept in our
    >> office in Ohio, and copied/pasted the drawing section (graphics
    >> select tool) into Corel Draw then exported to DXF and imported into
    >> my CAD program and had an exact (I mean *exact*) CAD file to work
    >> with.

    > Hmm, interesting. Does CorelDraw also open PDF files?
    > By the way, when you say *exact* that's only exact to the nearest
    > 1/72 of an inch...

    No, CorelDraw doesn't open PDF files. And when I say exact, it is exact to
    1/100, according to DataCAD (which is the best tolerance I believe it can
    handle, so it might even be more exact than that.) Which is good enough for
    me. Vector graphics are not subject to point sizes or other bitmap
    considerations.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2005
  17. Rich Wilson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:sZnqf.13894$,
    Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:eknqf.41503$,
    >> Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hmm, interesting. Does CorelDraw also open PDF files?
    >>> By the way, when you say *exact* that's only exact to the nearest
    >>> 1/72 of an inch...

    >> No, CorelDraw doesn't open PDF files. And when I say exact, it is
    >> exact to 1/100, according to DataCAD (which is the best tolerance I
    >> believe it can handle, so it might even be more exact than that.)
    >> Which is good enough for me. Vector graphics are not subject to
    >> point sizes or other bitmap considerations.

    > You really think so? Make a PDF of some curved objects (for example,
    > text rendered as graphics) on a small sheet and zoom right in...
    >
    > Postscript and PDF measure everything in a unit which is, IIRC, 1/72
    > of an inch. All the endpoints of lines and so on effectively get
    > moved onto a grid at this resolution.

    In the PDF, maybe. In the vector based cut/paste and back into CAD, it's
    EXACT. I can print parts full size on my pen plotter, and they are perfect.
    No jaggies. No 1/72" limits. A circle is a circle is a circle. That's why I
    *use* CAD. (Hint: vector graphics have no grid.)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2005
  18. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  19. Rich Wilson

    Rich Wilson Guest

    > "Livewire" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <aW0qf.18852$>, rich@spam-
    >> spamson.co.uk says...
    >>>
    >>> This problem comes up on a very regular basis at work and there really
    >>> ought
    >>> to be an easy solution... how do you convert a PDF file (or a single
    >>> page of
    >>> it) to Postscript? If I'm understanding it correctly, they're
    >>> essentially
    >>> the same format so it should just be a matter of extracting some of the
    >>> "guts" of the PDF file and writing it into a separate file. But I can't
    >>> find
    >>> Windows (XP) software anywhere that will do it apart from one fairly
    >>> expensive commercial package.
    >>>
    >>> In case you're wondering, we often need to insert PDFs into MS Office
    >>> documents; the best option we've got is using Photoshop to convert them
    >>> into
    >>> bitmap images but obviously that's making our documents huge.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas...?
    >>>

    >> I used to do this, but not recently. So my answer is from memory.
    >>
    >> Install a printer driver for a Postscript printer -- you don't need the
    >> actual printer connnected. Then choose print to file from the print
    >> menu.

    > Thanks. I've tried this with every Postscript driver I can find and one of
    > two things happens:
    > 1. Text gets converted to outlines (and very jagged ones at that thanks to
    > Postscript's daft resolution). This obviously makes the PS files very big
    > and slow to work with in Office.
    > ...or...
    > 2. Text gets converted to gibberish (still as text, not outlines)
    >
    > Do you know of any drivers that will process text properly?

    Actually, don't answer that - after a bit of investigation with GSView, it
    seems the Adobe driver does this just fine. If only MS Office would import
    the files properly...

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005
  20. Rich Wilson

    > In news:sZnqf.13894$,
    > Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:eknqf.41503$,
    >>> Rich Wilson spewed forth:

    >>> No, CorelDraw doesn't open PDF files. And when I say exact, it is
    >>> exact to 1/100, according to DataCAD (which is the best tolerance I
    >>> believe it can handle, so it might even be more exact than that.)
    >>> Which is good enough for me. Vector graphics are not subject to
    >>> point sizes or other bitmap considerations.

    >> You really think so? Make a PDF of some curved objects (for example,
    >> text rendered as graphics) on a small sheet and zoom right in...
    >>
    >> Postscript and PDF measure everything in a unit which is, IIRC, 1/72
    >> of an inch. All the endpoints of lines and so on effectively get
    >> moved onto a grid at this resolution.

    > In the PDF, maybe. In the vector based cut/paste and back into CAD, it's
    > EXACT. I can print parts full size on my pen plotter, and they are
    > perfect. No jaggies. No 1/72" limits. A circle is a circle is a circle.
    > That's why I *use* CAD. (Hint: vector graphics have no grid.)

    Well yeah, in CAD you're getting an exact copy of what was in the PDF, but
    that wasn't exact to start with. Let's put this another way: whereas AutoCAD
    and so on use floating point numbers to store co-ordinates, PDF and
    Postscript use integers, and pretty short ones at that, so they don't have
    the accuracy you'd expect.

    Anyway, seems I've ben wasting my time:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2005/10/01/476067.aspx

    Rich Wilson, Dec 22, 2005