    to upgraded and when it comes to install; it give an error message,
    saying that the older application is in used and I should close it.
    All ideas are welcome.

    oscar, Sep 29, 2007

  2. oscar

    olfart Guest

    "oscar" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The last time I used my acrobat reader was about 6 or 7 months ago,
    > something I did that messed up the works, now when I try to download
    > anything via pdf. it locks my computer until I have to reboot it, I
    > tried to remove it but I do not find it in the applications, I tried
    > to upgraded and when it comes to install; it give an error message,
    > saying that the older application is in used and I should close it.
    > All ideas are welcome.

    If all you need is a reader, dump Acrobat and get Foxit Reader.

    olfart, Sep 29, 2007

  3. oscar

    Paul Guest

    oscar wrote:
    > The last time I used my acrobat reader was about 6 or 7 months ago,
    > something I did that messed up the works, now when I try to download
    > anything via pdf. it locks my computer until I have to reboot it, I
    > tried to remove it but I do not find it in the applications, I tried
    > to upgraded and when it comes to install; it give an error message,
    > saying that the older application is in used and I should close it.
    > All ideas are welcome.

    Go to your "search for file" thingy, and look for nppdf32.dll .
    That is the plugin that tells IE how to link up to the Reader
    application. You can try "moving" that file to a safe place
    somewhere, so nppdf32.dll is no longer in the Internet Explorer
    folder(s). Reboot the computer, then test again and see what happens.
    Since the plugin is no longer there, Explorer might offer to allow
    you to just download the file instead (because it won't know what to
    do with it). Every time you (re)install Acrobat Reader, it is going
    to stuff a copy of the plugin file, into your PLUGIN folder. So
    you may have to do this in the future at some point too.

    This is where I found mine. Your mileage may vary.

    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS

    If nothing was improved by doing that, just put the file back.

    If you were using Firefox like the rest of us (mozilla.org),
    the setting would be in Tools:Options:Content:File Types:Manage,
    where you could set PDF to "save them on my computer". I don't know
    of an equivalent in Explorer, short of doing something to
    the Registry, which is a bad idea. Moving the plugin sounds
    moderately safer, because you can always put it back.

    When I do <ctrl-alt-delete> and bring up Task Manager window,
    and look under processes, I see one instance of "AcroRd32.exe".
    Presumably that is the thing which is preventing the installer
    from upgrading. The installer should be able to tell it to quit,
    unless perhaps the thing you see in your Task Manager is actually
    a virus. You could try clicking on "AcroRd32.exe" in the Task
    Manager, then click "End Process" in the lower right hand corner.
    But don't come crying to me if it breaks your computer etc. I
    cannot believe the installer is not capable of killing that task
    by itself, which makes me suspicious. Is there more than one of
    those in the Task Manager ?

    My best guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Sep 29, 2007
  4. oscar

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, olfart
    <> scribeth thus

    >"oscar" <> wrote in message
    >> The last time I used my acrobat reader was about 6 or 7 months ago,
    >> something I did that messed up the works, now when I try to download
    >> anything via pdf. it locks my computer until I have to reboot it, I
    >> tried to remove it but I do not find it in the applications, I tried
    >> to upgraded and when it comes to install; it give an error message,
    >> saying that the older application is in used and I should close it.
    >> All ideas are welcome.
    >>

    >If all you need is a reader, dump Acrobat and get Foxit Reader.

    Second that.. excellent program and doesn't hog resources like AR
    does!/...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Sep 29, 2007
  5. Open the Task Manager, select the Applications tab and scroll the list to
    see if Acrobat is running. If you find that it is running, disable it. Then
    go to the Control Panel>Add and Remove Programs ...

    Select any and all versions of Adobe Acrobat that might exist and remove
    them. Then go to Adobe's Website and download and install the latest version
    of Acrobat Reader.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 29, 2007