PDF not opening in Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by norm, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. norm

    norm Guest

    norm, Mar 6, 2007

  2. norm wrote:
    > The PDF
    > http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide.pdf
    >
    > Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    > in google searches are fine.
    >
    > Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
    >
    > Anyone tell me why?
    > Thanks
    > Norm

    Server problem. Go to the page, right click and choose View Page Info.
    In the resulting window, see the following:

    Type: text/plain

    Since the server is telling Firefox that the file is a plain text file,
    Firefox attempts to display it as such. Contact the administrator for
    the web site and tell him of the problem. The workaround, as you have
    discovered, is to download the file and view it locally.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 6, 2007

  3. norm

    norm Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:20:44 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >norm wrote:
    >> The PDF
    >> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide.pdf
    >>
    >> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    >> in google searches are fine.
    >>
    >> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
    >>
    >> Anyone tell me why?
    >> Thanks
    >> Norm

    >Server problem. Go to the page, right click and choose View Page Info.
    >In the resulting window, see the following:
    >
    >Type: text/plain
    >
    >Since the server is telling Firefox that the file is a plain text file,
    >Firefox attempts to display it as such. Contact the administrator for
    >the web site and tell him of the problem. The workaround, as you have
    >discovered, is to download the file and view it locally.
    >
    >Lee

    Thanks for reply, yep Type: text/plain.

    norm, Mar 6, 2007
  4. On 2007-03-06, norm <> wrote:

    > The PDF
    > http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide.pdf
    >
    > Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    > in google searches are fine.
    >
    > Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
    >
    > Anyone tell me why?

    The mime type set by the server is incorrect. The server is telling
    Firefox that the file is a plain text file, so that's the way FireFox
    treats it. The server says it is a text/plain file, but it should be
    application/pdf for FireFox to know to feed it Acrobat Reader.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Mar 6, 2007
  5. John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-03-06, norm <> wrote:
    >
    >> The PDF
    >> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide.pdf
    >>
    >> Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    >> in google searches are fine.
    >>
    >> Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
    >>
    >> Anyone tell me why?

    > The mime type set by the server is incorrect. The server is telling
    > Firefox that the file is a plain text file, so that's the way FireFox
    > treats it. The server says it is a text/plain file, but it should be
    > application/pdf for FireFox to know to feed it Acrobat Reader.

    Hi John,

    Didn't I say that about 9 hours ago? ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 7, 2007
  6. norm

    Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:15:08 GMT, (norm) wrote:

    >The PDF
    >http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide.pdf
    >
    >Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    >in google searches are fine.
    >
    >Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.
    >
    >Anyone tell me why?
    >Thanks
    >Norm

    PDF means PRETTY DAMN FUCKED

    They never work as intended. But do yourself a favor.
    Remove Adobe Reader and install Foxit Reader.
    Then set FF and any other browser to DOWNLOAD .PDF files rather than
    view them online.

    I wish they were not used as much as they are on websites. I hate em.

    , Mar 7, 2007
  7. norm

    Guest

    On Mar 7, 12:55 am, wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:15:08 GMT, (norm) wrote:
    > >The PDF
    > >http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Philex/SLxGUserGuide...

    > >Does not open properly in Firefox 1.5.0.10, other PDFs such as those
    > >in google searches are fine.

    > >Saving the page and using Acrobat directly the PDF is fine.

    > >Anyone tell me why?
    > >Thanks
    > >Norm

    > PDF means PRETTY DAMN FUCKED
    >
    > They never work as intended. But do yourself a favor.
    > Remove Adobe Reader and install Foxit Reader.
    > Then set FF and any other browser to DOWNLOAD .PDF files rather than
    > view them online.
    >
    > I wish they were not used as much as they are on websites. I hate em.

    another option is to see if google can find the file. If so, then it
    might offer the option to view the file in html. For instance:
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=g...as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

    , Mar 7, 2007