    desktop which is connected to the internet.

    thanks

    will.

    will, Oct 19, 2003

  2. will

    Pleb Plebian Guest

    "will" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > hi,
    >
    > can i please have some recommendations on PDAs which are capable of
    > doing VNC (or similar remote desktop apps)?
    >
    > my purpose is to:
    >
    > 1. at home, using wireless network to remotely access my desktop from
    > PDA.
    > 2. outside, using wireless internet(like whoosh?) to remotely access my
    > desktop which is connected to the internet.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > will.

    LOL - yr probably gonna hate this... but try a c1997 Apple Newton 2000 or
    2100. Literally...the only PDAs to date that I know of that are capable of
    running VNC.
    Last time I checked, there were drivers being developed to patch (adapt)
    generic network card drivers to wLAN: worth a look, anyhow.
    No idea wheather the whoosh modems would respond to a standard AT command
    set tho...
    HTH (knowing it probably doesn't!)
    -P

    Pleb Plebian, Oct 19, 2003

  3. "will" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > can i please have some recommendations on PDAs which are capable of
    > doing VNC (or similar remote desktop apps)?
    >
    > my purpose is to:
    >
    > 1. at home, using wireless network to remotely access my desktop from
    > PDA.
    > 2. outside, using wireless internet(like whoosh?) to remotely access my
    > desktop which is connected to the internet.

    Most Windows CE devices including Pocket PC PDAs ship with a Terminal
    Services client for connecting to a RDP device like a Windows XP desktop or
    a Windows Server Terminal Server

    That would work for both scenarios you mention. Personally I would run a
    VPN underneath my remote desktop session too.

    And you'd certainly be mad to run a VNC session natively over an insecure
    network like the internet. Use IPSEC, PPTP or SSH underneath.

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 20, 2003