PDA Evaluation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. I was a convert to PDAs when the Palm first came out and have been
    upgrading since then, but staying with the Palm, now its perhaps time to
    change platforms.
    It appears the choice is Ipaq or Dell.
    Now what I want is interoperability with my desktop, particularly
    mail and documents.
    MP3 would be nice
    WiFi is a must
    Good I/O subsystem in other words the ability to plug in extra items
    such as say a GPS head or camera so USB or Firewire ?

    Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.

    --
    Note the ****-Wit known as Harry is attempting to impersonate my posts
    I post via Berlin (at this stage he hasnt got a Berlin Account)

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004

  2. It seems like Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:59:56 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    >interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.

    I have a H5450, last year's model of the H5550. Has built in WiFi,
    runs Windows Pocket PC 2002 (updatable to 2003). Is good, have had no
    qualms with it. Is also compatible with most old Ipaq sleeves if you'd
    like more battery life, or a compact flash slot, or even a pcmcia slot
    (not too sure if this one works). I have a compact flash sleeve and a
    1.3MP digital CF camera that slots into it.

    Battery life is good, can get about 6 hours of near constant use out
    of it. The OS is fairly stable, you might come across a few "driver
    memory all used up" errors which require a soft reset, normally, when
    you're trying to start say WiFi, or Bluetooth, or CF or even the
    Biometric Scanner. There's heaps of reviews out there on the net. To
    be honest, I wanted a Jornada 720 because of the keyboard, but the
    Handheld PC OS sucks (thanks Microsoft!:()

    Either ways, not bad. I have no use for it. You can have it for $600
    if you want. If you're interested, give me an email.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec
    Waylon Kenning, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Collector»NZ

    ChrisOD Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > I was a convert to PDAs when the Palm first came out and have been
    > upgrading since then, but staying with the Palm, now its perhaps time to
    > change platforms.
    > It appears the choice is Ipaq or Dell.
    > Now what I want is interoperability with my desktop, particularly
    > mail and documents.
    > MP3 would be nice
    > WiFi is a must
    > Good I/O subsystem in other words the ability to plug in extra items
    > such as say a GPS head or camera so USB or Firewire ?
    >
    > Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    > interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.

    I am trialing a new H6365 Running windows Mobile 2003.
    Wifi (b) bluetooth IR and an SD-IO slot.

    Works well as a phone and a PDA.
    Syncs well with everything by USB or Bluetooth have even tried syncing
    with the mobile plugin thingy for exchange 2003 (can't remember the name
    at present). which works just fine over wifi but a little slow over
    GPRS.

    My only real problems with it is that:
    1/. I have to give it back to HP next week
    2/. their is no "Auto profile" to switch between meetings and normal
    profiles based on calendar sync.

    Released here in early December.
    ChrisOD, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Waylon Kenning said the following on 2/11/2004 20:25:
    > It seems like Mon, 01 Nov 2004 22:59:56 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >

    >>Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    >>interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.

    > I have a H5450, last year's model of the H5550. Has built in WiFi,
    > runs Windows Pocket PC 2002 (updatable to 2003). Is good, have had no
    > qualms with it. Is also compatible with most old Ipaq sleeves if you'd
    > like more battery life, or a compact flash slot, or even a pcmcia slot
    > (not too sure if this one works). I have a compact flash sleeve and a
    > 1.3MP digital CF camera that slots into it.
    >
    > Battery life is good, can get about 6 hours of near constant use out
    > of it. The OS is fairly stable, you might come across a few "driver
    > memory all used up" errors which require a soft reset, normally, when
    > you're trying to start say WiFi, or Bluetooth, or CF or even the
    > Biometric Scanner. There's heaps of reviews out there on the net. To
    > be honest, I wanted a Jornada 720 because of the keyboard, but the
    > Handheld PC OS sucks (thanks Microsoft!:()
    >
    > Either ways, not bad. I have no use for it. You can have it for $600
    > if you want. If you're interested, give me an email.

    Sorry really want to have a poke around the market first

    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    A lie can travel halfway around the world
    while the truth is putting on its shoes.-Mark Twain
    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004
  5. ChrisOD said the following on 3/11/2004 21:54:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> I was a convert to PDAs when the Palm first came out and have been
    >> upgrading since then, but staying with the Palm, now its perhaps time
    >> to change platforms.
    >> It appears the choice is Ipaq or Dell.
    >> Now what I want is interoperability with my desktop, particularly
    >> mail and documents.
    >> MP3 would be nice
    >> WiFi is a must
    >> Good I/O subsystem in other words the ability to plug in extra items
    >> such as say a GPS head or camera so USB or Firewire ?
    >>
    >> Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    >> interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.
    >>

    > I am trialing a new H6365 Running windows Mobile 2003.
    > Wifi (b) bluetooth IR and an SD-IO slot.
    >
    > Works well as a phone and a PDA.
    > Syncs well with everything by USB or Bluetooth have even tried syncing
    > with the mobile plugin thingy for exchange 2003 (can't remember the name
    > at present). which works just fine over wifi but a little slow over
    > GPRS.
    >
    > My only real problems with it is that:
    > 1/. I have to give it back to HP next week
    > 2/. their is no "Auto profile" to switch between meetings and normal
    > profiles based on calendar sync.
    >
    > Released here in early December.

    Now that is looking like what I want, not sure about the phone function
    but definate on the other features.
    How does the phone side work, do you hold the screen upto your ear?

    Collector»NZ, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ

    ChrisOD Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > ChrisOD said the following on 3/11/2004 21:54:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was a convert to PDAs when the Palm first came out and have been
    >>> upgrading since then, but staying with the Palm, now its perhaps time
    >>> to change platforms.
    >>> It appears the choice is Ipaq or Dell.
    >>> Now what I want is interoperability with my desktop, particularly
    >>> mail and documents.
    >>> MP3 would be nice
    >>> WiFi is a must
    >>> Good I/O subsystem in other words the ability to plug in extra items
    >>> such as say a GPS head or camera so USB or Firewire ?
    >>>
    >>> Any comments out there on the hardware available, battery life,
    >>> interoperability, stability of OS (Win CE) and so on.
    >>>

    >> I am trialing a new H6365 Running windows Mobile 2003.
    >> Wifi (b) bluetooth IR and an SD-IO slot.
    >>
    >> Works well as a phone and a PDA.
    >> Syncs well with everything by USB or Bluetooth have even tried syncing
    >> with the mobile plugin thingy for exchange 2003 (can't remember the name
    >> at present). which works just fine over wifi but a little slow over
    >> GPRS.
    >>
    >> My only real problems with it is that:
    >> 1/. I have to give it back to HP next week
    >> 2/. their is no "Auto profile" to switch between meetings and normal
    >> profiles based on calendar sync.
    >>
    >> Released here in early December.

    > Now that is looking like what I want, not sure about the phone function
    > but definate on the other features.
    > How does the phone side work, do you hold the screen upto your ear?

    Yeah looks stupid but works quite well.
    Or you can get a bluetooth headset, works well trialed an old Sony
    ericsson one today

    Nice things like click a button (or icon) to write or record a memo
    ChrisOD, Nov 4, 2004