    What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    effective way through to them.

    Rgds Ramon
    RAMON ALBAN, Jan 23, 2004

  2. RAMON ALBAN

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:00:30 +0000 (UTC), "RAMON ALBAN"
    <> wrote:

    >Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    >it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    >them to respond in anyway.
    >Call centre madness - I call it.
    >What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    >effective way through to them.

    Not the cheapest kids on the block. With support costing £1 per hour,
    they can stuff it. Bloody hell! The sell you something then have the
    balls to charge an arm an a leg to help you get it sorted...

    I generally pop into my local PC World to look at the goodies then get
    a good magazine like PC PRO or PC Buyer and trawl through the adverts
    THEN hit the web sites of advertisers - you will find much better
    pricing if you shop around. Much cheaper, not only that, the other
    places will probably not try to stuff over priced warrantee extensions
    down your throat.

    Same with Cameras - I got my 5700 at over £200 below list by shopping
    around that way (Once I could prove a low price, my local Jessops
    price matched, bless 'em)

    depending on what you want, try dabs.com as a good starter...

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jan 23, 2004

  3. "RAMON ALBAN" <> wrote in message
    > Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    > it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    > them to respond in anyway.
    > Call centre madness - I call it.
    > What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    > effective way through to them.
    >
    > Rgds Ramon

    Assuming you've tried the email address and phone numbers on their site
    (http://www.pcworld.co.uk) customer services section, I recommend calling
    the nearest branch (Yellow Pages) and shouting. PC World are a veritable
    nightmare.

    Assuming you are buying a camera, you'd be better off buying from a known
    camera retailer (www.jessops.com or www.jacobs-digital.co.uk) or looking at
    other online retailers like www.parkcameras.com.

    If OTOH you're looking for computer components, www.eclipse-computers.com,
    www.ebuyer.co.uk, www.scan.co.uk and www.aria.co.uk are to be recommended.
    Scan seem to be cheapest overall, while I think lately Aria prices have
    beaten Eclipse by and large.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Jan 23, 2004
  4. RAMON ALBAN

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    > it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    > them to respond in anyway.
    > Call centre madness - I call it.
    > What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    > effective way through to them.

    The're pretty hopeless. Last weekend I tried to buy a pack of CDRs in a PC
    shop I was passing. 1 till open and jammed by a query, 3 blokes watching
    from the security cabin, no end of staff cruising the shop floor. I went
    away.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Jan 23, 2004
  5. RAMON ALBAN

    Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:27:28 +0000 (UTC), "Martin Francis"
    <> wrote:

    >www.ebuyer.co.uk, www.scan.co.uk and www.aria.co.uk are to be recommended.
    >Scan seem to be cheapest overall, while I think lately Aria prices have
    >beaten Eclipse by and large.

    Ask in uk.comp.vendors and you'll find a small army waiting to shoot
    you down regarding the customer service of these 3.

    MJ
    , Jan 24, 2004
  6. RAMON ALBAN

    ayjay Guest

    PCWorld UK are beyond description. IF you know what you want and IF you can
    avoid being "helped" and IF they have whatever you want in stock and at the
    rightprice, they're ok. Otherwise, they suck.

    Andy

    ayjay, Jan 24, 2004
  7. RAMON ALBAN

    Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:32:27 -0000, "ayjay" <> wrote:

    >PCWorld UK are beyond description. IF you know what you want and IF you can
    >avoid being "helped" and IF they have whatever you want in stock and at the
    >rightprice, they're ok. Otherwise, they suck.
    >
    >Andy

    Not too long ago I was hovering around the printer cartridges when
    somebody approached a salesman who was stood near me. His printer had
    had a colour run out but he didn't know which one or how to find out.
    He also didn't want to buy a colour cartridge if it was only his black
    that had run out, and vice versa. I moved away but a few minutes later
    I saw him walking round with a cartridge refilling kit. I felt
    compelled to ask him why? He said the salesman recommended it and he
    didn't know enough to think otherwise. I talked to him about the
    complexities of refilling, thinking that if he didn't know enough to
    be able to discover his ink levels then refilling cartridges would be
    quite a leap. I gave him some pointers and a quick demo on one of
    their PCs, he put the kit back, and went home a happy man.

    MJ
    , Jan 24, 2004
  8. RAMON ALBAN

    Bryan Bellis Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    >it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    >them to respond in anyway.
    >Call centre madness - I call it.
    >What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    >effective way through to them.

    They are the absolute worst. 28th Dec I went to PC World and was
    tempted by their offer of a Sony DVD-RW (all options) plus DVD-R's etc
    at a good price. But stock had run out and they couldn't sell me one.
    I went home and tried their web site. It was there, in stock, so I
    ordered. They promise delivery within 7 days, but nope.

    Phoned them, answer machine, Christmas and New Year delivery problems,
    so I wait. Still n delivery; I wait. I phone, can't get through. I
    phone three more times, can't get through, wait for an hour to get an
    answer.

    I go to PC World and shout a little, but nothing but sympathy from
    them, however they can't help. I give up, sulk in a corner.

    Two days ago it all turns up at the door. Damn nearly a whole calendar
    month after ordering. They had my money from my car within hours of
    ordering! Humph. Will never ever use them again on-line!

    --
    Bryan Bellis.
    Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

    To email me, go to this web page link:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.bellis/antispam.htm
    Bryan Bellis, Jan 24, 2004
  9. RAMON ALBAN

    RAMON ALBAN Guest

    This mirrors exactly my problem, i think i will soon cancel the order as i
    am entitled to do. and request a refund. Thinks! prolly would not get my
    money back. humph.

    Suppose i could then hand over the problem to the credit card provider as
    they are equally responsible for bad vendor service.

    RAMON ALBAN, Jan 24, 2004
  10. RAMON ALBAN

    Frank H Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:32:27 -0000, "ayjay" <> wrote:

    >PCWorld UK are beyond description. IF you know what you want and IF you can
    >avoid being "helped" and IF they have whatever you want in stock and at the
    >rightprice, they're ok. Otherwise, they suck.

    Not necessarily. PC World have provided hours of entrertainment and
    many bargains.

    The entertainment comes by standing behind a sales-drone while they're
    talking to a customer. You wait for their first item of bollox-speak
    (about 2 seconds), look up and shake your head. Then you stand there
    making your ever-growing disbelief in the obvious ignorance spouting
    forth more and more obvious to the customer. Many times I've had
    customers ignore the sales-drone and start asking me questions.

    The bargains come when they make errors in the pricing. Amazingly
    enough these are often in the customer's favour. If you know the real
    value of things you can pick up some real bargains.
    Frank H, Jan 24, 2004
  11. RAMON ALBAN

    Canopus Guest

    "Frank H" <frank@@> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:32:27 -0000, "ayjay" <> wrote:
    >
    > >PCWorld UK are beyond description. IF you know what you want and IF you

    can
    > >avoid being "helped" and IF they have whatever you want in stock and at

    the
    > >rightprice, they're ok. Otherwise, they suck.

    > Not necessarily. PC World have provided hours of entrertainment and
    > many bargains.
    >
    > The entertainment comes by standing behind a sales-drone while they're
    > talking to a customer. You wait for their first item of bollox-speak
    > (about 2 seconds), look up and shake your head. Then you stand there
    > making your ever-growing disbelief in the obvious ignorance spouting
    > forth more and more obvious to the customer. Many times I've had
    > customers ignore the sales-drone and start asking me questions.
    >
    > The bargains come when they make errors in the pricing. Amazingly
    > enough these are often in the customer's favour. If you know the real
    > value of things you can pick up some real bargains.

    Almost as bad as Curry's. Not only did I end up having an argument with
    them when they tried to sell me extended , expensive warrantee and refused
    to accept my no thank you, but, they started demanding to know all the
    details of my insurance. On top of that they then tried to sell me an XD
    card because that was what "everyone is buying these days". My camera is a
    Fuji S602 and the XD card is incompatible.

    Rob
    Canopus, Jan 24, 2004
  12. "RAMON ALBAN" <> wrote in message
    > Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    > it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    > them to respond in anyway.
    > Call centre madness - I call it.
    > What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    > effective way through to them.
    >
    > Rgds Ramon

    Avoid them at all costs is the result of my unhappy experiences and first
    hand observations of them!!

    The staff in their retail outlets know virtually nothing about the goods
    they're selling.

    Their 'customer service' is a joke. As is their pretty appalling telephone
    'helpline'.

    The longest queue, after the one at the till, is the returns desk where
    customers are bringing back faulty items, or goods they've been 'mis-sold by
    a 'sales' assistant.

    All in all a pretty miserable company to give your hard earned money to when
    there are other alternatives which offer customers better service and value.

    I hope this helps you and others avoid them in future.

    Russell W. Huddesrfield, West Yorkshire
    Russell Wykes, Jan 24, 2004
  13. RAMON ALBAN

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:15:40 -0000, "Canopus"
    <> wrote:

    >"Frank H" <frank@@> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:32:27 -0000, "ayjay" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >PCWorld UK are beyond description. IF you know what you want and IF you

    >can
    >> >avoid being "helped" and IF they have whatever you want in stock and at

    >the
    >> >rightprice, they're ok. Otherwise, they suck.

    []
    >Almost as bad as Curry's.

    []
    Surely they ARE Currys; and Dixons - Are they not the chain?
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jan 24, 2004
  14. RAMON ALBAN

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Donald Gray wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:15:40 -0000, "Canopus"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Frank H" <frank@@> wrote in message

    > >can

    > >the

    > []
    > >Almost as bad as Curry's.

    > []
    > Surely they ARE Currys; and Dixons - Are they not the chain?
    > --

    They are... and I've had good and bad experiences with all of them. No more
    than any other shop though.

    Worst electrical dealers I recall was Rumbleows(?)... was so glad when they
    shut.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at
    Paul Heslop, Jan 24, 2004
  15. RAMON ALBAN

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <burugu$q79$>, RAMON ALBAN
    <> writes
    >Have ordered a couple of items online from PCWorld UK and have since found
    >it impossible to contact them by phone or email or more strictly to get
    >them to respond in anyway.
    >Call centre madness - I call it.
    >What are other UKcustomer experiences with this supplier and is there an
    >effective way through to them.

    Only by taking your business elsewhere.

    I sometimes have a look in their shops when passing just in case there
    are any reasonably priced bargains (but they are *very* rare). Most
    things can be bought more cheaply from reliable UK online suppliers.

    Technomatic, Simply, Dabs and Amazon figure among the ones that have
    been OK for me. YMMV

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown