PC's not recognized on my workgroup

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by -D-, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. -D-

    -D- Guest

    I have a home LAN setup as a workgroup. I have two PC's running XP Pro and a
    server running Windows 2000 Server. All the PC's are connected thru a
    Linksys router.

    Each PC is accessing the Internet ok, but I can't get the PC's to be
    recognized on the workgroup and can't map drives to each PC and share
    printing.

    I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all my PC's. My server is seeing one of the
    PC's on the workgroup, but it doesn't see the other one. I cannot view the
    workgroup from either of the computers running XP Pro. However, I am able to
    ping each computer.

    I just upgraded to XP. I had my home network running fine when all the PC's
    were running 2000. XP is a little different so I'm having a bit of trouble
    getting this configured correctly.

    I tried running the networking wizard, but didn't have any luck with that
    either.

    Can anyone please lend a hand and help me with the configuration? Please let
    me know if there is any information I can provide that will help
    troubleshoot the problem.

    Thank you.

    -D-, Feb 24, 2007

  2. -D-

    smackedass Guest

    1) Did you (temporarily) knock down the firewalls?

    2) Does each computer belong to the same named workgroup? I tripped up on
    that, one time, and kicked myself afterward.

    3) Did you try (temporarily) sharing the root C: drives?

    4) If any of the computers are connected wirelessly, have you tried
    connecting them wired?

    5) Did you try different cables?

    6) Did you try different ports of the router?

    Hope this helps.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 24, 2007

  3. -D-

    -D- Guest

    I have at least now been able to map all my drives from my server to my
    workstations and vice versa. Still cannot get my workgroup to show up under
    My Network Places.

    -D-, Feb 24, 2007
  4. Okay; lots of questions... Since you had the LAN working under win2k I'm sure
    you're no idiot, so if some of these questions ask obvious things, it's only
    'cos you didn't specify, and, hey, we all make silly config mistakes...

    Sure you have the WORKGROUP name the same?
    What happens if you run Search for the computer names?
    Are you running any firewalls on the PCs?
    Does it change if you switch them off?
    DHCP or static IP?
    If DHCP, is the DHCP-server the router, or the win2k-server?
    (As they access the internet okay, I guess they use the router -
    in which case make sure the win2k server isn't also acting as a DHCP-server)
    If you run IPCONFIG on the machines, is what they report consistent with
    your DHCP scope?
    Have you tried switching to static IP addresses?
    You say you can ping each computer, is that one-way, or in all directions?
    With the XP machines, are you using the 'guest' user account?
    Or do you have Simple File Sharing turned off and are using NTFS permissions?

    I guess that'll do for now...

    Fred the Ferret, Feb 24, 2007
  5. -D-

    -D- Guest

    Hi Fred,

    Thanks for replying to my post.

    Sure you have the WORKGROUP name the same? Yes, I have verified the
    workgroup name is the same on each machine.

    What happens if you run Search for the computer names? The search can find
    each machine in all directions.

    Are you running any firewalls on the PCs? Yes, I'm running the default
    firewall that comes with XP on the two workstations. The server isn't
    running a firewall currently.

    Does it change if you switch them off? No.

    DHCP or static IP? DHCP. But, I have my server setup with a static IP
    inside my LAN.

    If DHCP, is the DHCP-server the router, or the win2k-server? The router is
    the DHCP server.
    (As they access the internet okay, I guess they use the router -
    in which case make sure the win2k server isn't also acting as a DHCP-server)

    If you run IPCONFIG on the machines, is what they report consistent with
    your DHCP scope? Not sure about this one? I ran ipconfig on each machine
    and each IP address is correct for the range specified in my router
    settings. Is this what you mean?

    Have you tried switching to static IP addresses? Only using a static IP on
    my server.

    You say you can ping each computer, is that one-way, or in all directions?
    I can ping each machine in all directions. No problem there.

    With the XP machines, are you using the 'guest' user account? I setup a
    user account called "UserShare" with Administrator rights on each machine.

    Or do you have Simple File Sharing turned off and are using NTFS
    permissions? Yes, I did turn off simple file sharing and I'm using NTFS
    permissions.

    So, I have mapped all my drives from the server to each workstation and from
    each workstation to the server. That was the main problem, but I can't
    figure out for the life of me why I can't see the workgroup from "My Network
    Places". It doesn't make sense? It isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to be
    able to view my workgroup.

    Any ideas?

    -D-, Feb 24, 2007
  6. On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:54:26 -0600
    "-D-" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    > So, I have mapped all my drives from the server to each workstation and from
    > each workstation to the server. That was the main problem, but I can't
    > figure out for the life of me why I can't see the workgroup from "My Network
    > Places". It doesn't make sense? It isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to be
    > able to view my workgroup.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I'm not sure I'm seeing your setup right, but I guess it is a NTFS permission
    issue. If on computer A you log in as Alan, unless Alan has his own user
    account on machine B with permission to view My_Shared_Folder, you won't be
    able to see it from computer A in My Network Places. You'll need to set up
    accounts on each machine that correspond to the log-in accounts on the other
    machines(and give them the appropriate rights for each shared folder) to
    navigate using My Network Places.

    Or do you mean that in Windows Explorer, under My Network Places, Entire
    Network, Microsoft Windows Network, that your workgroup isn't there? Even with
    the PC you're sitting at as the only entry?

    It really isn't a good idea to give such accounts administrator rights, by the
    way, not just to view them / copy files etc.

    And now you've just told the entire internet the user name of your
    administrator account, maybe you might want to think about changing it....

    Fred the Ferret, Feb 25, 2007
  7. -D-

    -D- Guest

    <snip>

    > Or do you mean that in Windows Explorer, under My Network Places, Entire
    > Network, Microsoft Windows Network, that your workgroup isn't there? Even
    > with
    > the PC you're sitting at as the only entry?

    Exactly, that is correct. If I go to Windows Explorer >> My Network Places
    >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network

    I cannot see the machines on my workgroup?

    <snip>

    > It really isn't a good idea to give such accounts administrator rights, by
    > the
    > way, not just to view them / copy files etc.

    This is only a home network LAN that only I use for development and testing
    purposes. No one else is using my network. That is why I gave
    administrator rights.

    Does that help explain?

    -D-, Feb 25, 2007
  8. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:49:02 -0600
    "-D-" <> wrote:

    > > Or do you mean that in Windows Explorer, under My Network Places, Entire
    > > Network, Microsoft Windows Network, that your workgroup isn't there? Even
    > > with
    > > the PC you're sitting at as the only entry?

    > Exactly, that is correct. If I go to Windows Explorer >> My Network Places
    > >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network

    > I cannot see the machines on my workgroup?

    But the workgroup name is listed, right? And the machine you are sitting at?

    What happens if you right click on My Network Places and search for the other
    computer(s) by name? They should appear. But if you don't have a user account
    on the other machine, nothing else will (and I mean equivalent to the login
    account from where you're sitting, not the UserShare name)

    Sitting at computer A, logged in as Alan, if there isn't a user account on
    computer B called Alan that has permission to view My_shared_Folder on computer
    B, then there is nothing for My Network Places to show, so it won't bother.

    > <snip>
    >
    > > It really isn't a good idea to give such accounts administrator rights, by
    > > the way, not just to view them / copy files etc.

    > This is only a home network LAN that only I use for development and testing
    > purposes. No one else is using my network. That is why I gave administrator
    > rights.
    >
    > Does that help explain?

    If the computers can access the internet, then they are potentially vulnerable
    to attack from there, either directly by hacking, or by some malware from
    within. Although unlikely, if you have administrator rights operating onto
    other machines, they are then also vulnerable - one going down taking the
    others with it. Sure, it's not the end of the world as you have it, just not
    good practice. Why bother with NTFS permissions? You may as well be using
    Win98!

    Fred the Ferret, Feb 25, 2007
  9. -D-

    brill80917 Guest

    On Feb 23, 9:34 pm, "-D-" <> wrote:
    > I have a home LAN setup as a workgroup. I have two PC's running XP Pro and a
    > server running Windows 2000 Server. All the PC's are connected thru a
    > Linksys router.
    >
    > Each PC is accessing the Internet ok, but I can't get the PC's to be
    > recognized on the workgroup and can't map drives to each PC and share
    > printing.
    >
    > I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all my PC's. My server is seeing one of the
    > PC's on the workgroup, but it doesn't see the other one. I cannot view the
    > workgroup from either of the computers running XP Pro. However, I am able to
    > ping each computer.
    >
    > I just upgraded to XP. I had my home network running fine when all the PC's
    > were running 2000. XP is a little different so I'm having a bit of trouble
    > getting this configured correctly.
    >
    > I tried running the networking wizard, but didn't have any luck with that
    > either.
    >
    > Can anyone please lend a hand and help me with the configuration? Please let
    > me know if there is any information I can provide that will help
    > troubleshoot the problem.
    >
    > Thank you.

    -D-

    Don't know if this might be significant but have you tried to see what
    happens if you temporarily config the server to get a DHCP address
    from the router instead of using a static IP?

    brill80917, Feb 26, 2007