PC's Crashed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    O/s = WinME

    PC is on "life-support" and is just holding on.

    Problem =

    Yesterday morning i fired up the pc - everything was fine and dandy. Later
    on i closed the pc and didn't open it again till the evening.

    However, when i tried to open it it got as far as .....something like
    "Checking cdrom for boot up, checking drive A for boot up "

    Then it would normaly loads windows - this time it did nothing, after a few
    seconds the screen went black, few seconds later i got another
    message....something like:-

    "unable to write to D drive"...... ( i don't have a D drive, just A,C,E
    &F)

    Tried re-start a few times but same problem.

    Then i did a boot into safe-mode - i had to do this a few times each time
    the boot up went a little further but each time just before it froze i could
    hear the "PC" go "clunk".

    Switched everything off - including the power - then tried a boot-up to safe
    mode. This time i got through but a few seconds later it went "clunk" again.

    Tried a few more times then at last i was in.......

    Checked for a virus - none found

    Tried to do a System Restore but ALL the Restore points had gone

    At one stage i had tried a "crtl+alt+del) there were folders in there listed
    that I have on my pc BUT never in "start-up" e.g one of the folders i use
    rarely for drawing with.

    This morning it booted-up fine but into the "Active Desktop Recovery". I am
    loathed to click on the "Restore my Active Desktop" in case it crashed
    again.

    Oh yeah, was last point. last night during one of many attempts when the
    system actuall came up i tried about 3 times to re-install WinMe. But as son
    as i hit the "set-up" icon the pc crashed again.

    Ok thats about it...any ideas?????

    Cheers

    anOLDun, Sep 29, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    Stevo Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > Lo All
    >
    > O/s = WinME
    >
    > PC is on "life-support" and is just holding on.
    >
    > Problem =
    >
    > Yesterday morning i fired up the pc - everything was fine and dandy.
    > Later on i closed the pc and didn't open it again till the evening.
    >
    > However, when i tried to open it it got as far as .....something like
    > "Checking cdrom for boot up, checking drive A for boot up "
    >
    > Then it would normaly loads windows - this time it did nothing, after
    > a few seconds the screen went black, few seconds later i got another
    > message....something like:-
    >
    > "unable to write to D drive"...... ( i don't have a D drive, just
    > A,C,E &F)
    >
    > Tried re-start a few times but same problem.
    >
    > Then i did a boot into safe-mode - i had to do this a few times each
    > time the boot up went a little further but each time just before it
    > froze i could hear the "PC" go "clunk".
    >
    > Switched everything off - including the power - then tried a boot-up
    > to safe mode. This time i got through but a few seconds later it went
    > "clunk" again.
    >
    > Tried a few more times then at last i was in.......
    >
    > Checked for a virus - none found
    >
    > Tried to do a System Restore but ALL the Restore points had gone
    >
    > At one stage i had tried a "crtl+alt+del) there were folders in there
    > listed that I have on my pc BUT never in "start-up" e.g one of the
    > folders i use rarely for drawing with.
    >
    > This morning it booted-up fine but into the "Active Desktop
    > Recovery". I am loathed to click on the "Restore my Active Desktop"
    > in case it crashed again.
    >
    > Oh yeah, was last point. last night during one of many attempts when
    > the system actuall came up i tried about 3 times to re-install WinMe.
    > But as son as i hit the "set-up" icon the pc crashed again.
    >
    > Ok thats about it...any ideas?????
    >
    > Cheers

    Lots of ideas, but as to how to fix your problem, not many..

    The biggest clue in all that you wrote, was

    > Then i did a boot into safe-mode - i had to do this a few times each
    > time the boot up went a little further but each time just before it
    > froze i could hear the "PC" go "clunk".

    Can you describe that a bit more? It might be a hard drive 'clunk' in which
    case the news is all bad and I would suggest that you avoid powering that
    drive on until you have bought and installed a replacement then loaded the
    OS of your choice etc.. then might you be able to recover some data off
    your old drive..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Sep 29, 2004

  3. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi Stevo.

    It sounds a bit like the pc is switching itself off - it doesn't it just
    freezes the screen.

    It happened once when i was trying to re install windows. The screen went
    black but i could still hear the windows cd loading ( if that makes sense).

    Touch wood it hasn't crashed at all today. it still behaving strangly but at
    least i can work now.

    anOLDun, Sep 30, 2004