PC's and Food/Drink Manufacturers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by #, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. #

    # Guest

    Thank goodness that PC spec trends don't follow those of food and drink
    manufacturers.

    Otherwise we would get similar situations to the following being introduced
    without notification or any change in price (and often accompanied by "new
    design" packaging).

    Old system:
    P4 3.0GHz
    512MB RAM
    80GB HDD
    Radeon AGP Graphics

    New Improved Flavour Flashy Graphics system:
    Celeron D 2.4GHz
    512MB RAM (Shared)
    60GB HDD
    Integrated Graphics

    .... then wait six months for another product line adjustment to see the
    specs reduced yet again.

    #, Dec 13, 2004

  2. #

    thing Guest

    # wrote:
    > Thank goodness that PC spec trends don't follow those of food and drink
    > manufacturers.
    >
    > Otherwise we would get similar situations to the following being introduced
    > without notification or any change in price (and often accompanied by "new
    > design" packaging).
    >
    > Old system:
    > P4 3.0GHz
    > 512MB RAM
    > 80GB HDD
    > Radeon AGP Graphics
    >
    > New Improved Flavour Flashy Graphics system:
    > Celeron D 2.4GHz
    > 512MB RAM (Shared)
    > 60GB HDD
    > Integrated Graphics
    >
    > ... then wait six months for another product line adjustment to see the
    > specs reduced yet again.

    Yes I have noticed this as well....

    So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
    bottom line...

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 13, 2004

  3. It seems like Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:41:49 +1300 was when thing
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
    >bottom line...

    I was thinking about this the other day. Like washing powder
    'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
    concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
    half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
    buying? Hopes and dreams?

    When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
    wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 14, 2004
  4. #

    A L P Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > Like washing powder
    > 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
    > concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
    > half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
    > buying? Hopes and dreams?
    >
    > When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
    > wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

    Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
    people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
    wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
    specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
    they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
    would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
    stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
    marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
    had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
    goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
    divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

    A L P

    A L P, Dec 14, 2004
  5. #

    A L P Guest

    A L P, Dec 14, 2004
  6. #

    Tarla Guest

    On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:34:06 +1300, A L P wrote:

    > Inert fillers make it look as if you've got a "good buy", and possibly
    > people wouldn't have believed that "only half a cup" would be enough to
    > wash their clothes really clean, not when they were still comparing
    > specially formulated clothes-washing detergents with soap powder. Once
    > they've got used to detergent somebody in one company clicked that there
    > would be considerable savings in transport if they could find a way to
    > stop selling the inert component. "Aha! Twice as Powerful!" The
    > marketing division went into such an orgy of self-congratulation a vet
    > had to be called to administer tranquillizer darts all round. "Thank
    > goodness I went to the trouble and expense of doing my MBA," said the
    > divisional head as he sank into unconsciousness.

    Persil's gone an pissed me off. They used to have these tablets that you
    could just toss in. Two tablets per regular load, easy peasy. But I guess
    not enough people were wasting soap powder that way, so the tablets are now
    gone (at least in my store). It's a simple thing, I know, but it's
    irritating to have to measure or guess.

    Tarla, Dec 14, 2004
  7. #

    Tarla, Dec 14, 2004
  8. #

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > It seems like Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:41:49 +1300 was when thing
    > <> said Blah blah blah...
    >

    >>So called "Brands" improving their product, more like improving their
    >>bottom line...

    > I was thinking about this the other day. Like washing powder
    > 'concentrate'. Only need half a cup now, that's twice the
    > concentration! So you mean to tell me that before I used to be using
    > half the concentration? What the hell was the rest of the stuff I was
    > buying? Hopes and dreams?
    >
    > When things are recently improved to be more powerful, that makes me
    > wonder why they were less powerful in the first place.

    Yeah those damn 486s were a big con weren't they ?
    And what about those sticks of EDO memory.

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 14, 2004
  9. #

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Dec 14, 2004
  10. #

    winkle Guest

    it's true about the washing powders getting "stronger"... but as far as i
    can gather the filler was normally paper pulp, used as a starch
    substitute... to make your clothes stiff? and now they probably started
    using other "starch" type substances...

    bloody good idea though, buy my stronger powder... buy a Sempron.

    winkle, Dec 15, 2004
  12. It seems like Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:34:01 +1300 was when Alex Axolotl
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Yeah those damn 486s were a big con weren't they ?
    >And what about those sticks of EDO memory.

    I highly doubt washing powder technology is increasing at the rate of
    computing technology.

    If so, we'd be using half the amount in two years or so, and so on.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 16, 2004
  13. It seems like Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:34:01 +1300 was when Alex Axolotl
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 16, 2004
  14. #

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:44:31 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > I highly doubt washing powder technology is increasing at the rate of
    > computing technology.
    >
    > If so, we'd be using half the amount in two years or so, and so on.

    It is. The problem is that new clothes (softwear hehe) keep requiring more
    and more washing each year.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 16, 2004