    ya'll have, please let me know!
    Thanks!
    Craig
    Craig, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Craig

    SgtMinor Guest

    Craig wrote:

    > A coworker has an older Toshiba laptop that had a PCMIA modem card.
    > Purchased a wireless PCMIA networking card and it slides into the slot but
    > will not fit all the way in. He states it seems a little too big for the
    > slot.
    > I have not been able to see the machine or the card myself yet but any ideas
    > ya'll have, please let me know!
    > Thanks!
    > Craig

    The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all 85.6
    mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    10.5mm)

    --
    "PCMCIA: People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms."
    SgtMinor, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Craig

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:51:54 -0400, "Craig" <> wrote:

    >A coworker has an older Toshiba laptop that had a PCMIA modem card.
    >Purchased a wireless PCMIA networking card and it slides into the slot but
    >will not fit all the way in. He states it seems a little too big for the
    >slot.
    >I have not been able to see the machine or the card myself yet but any ideas
    >ya'll have, please let me know!

    He is probably trying to use a Cardbus card in a PCMCIA slot.

    >Thanks!
    >Craig

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Craig wrote:
    > >
    > > A coworker has an older Toshiba laptop that had a PCMIA modem card.
    > > Purchased a wireless PCMIA networking card and it slides into the slot

    but
    > > will not fit all the way in. He states it seems a little too big for the
    > > slot.
    > > I have not been able to see the machine or the card myself yet but any

    ideas
    > > ya'll have, please let me know!
    > > Thanks!
    > > Craig

    > The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    > romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all 85.6
    > mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    > 10.5mm)

    While we're on the subject <g> I just set up an old P133 Dell Latitude which
    has two PCMCIA slots. The modem that came with it was 28K, I wanted to put a
    faster modem in but it won't install either. The thickness is the same, but
    the end of the card is keyed different. Is that because of the Type I, II,
    III problem also? (None of my newer cards - USB 2.0, NIC, WIFI - fit this
    old laptop.) Maybe that's the same problem with the guys Toshiba?
    Toolman Tim, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Craig

    SgtMinor Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > > Craig wrote:
    > > >
    > > > A coworker has an older Toshiba laptop that had a PCMIA modem card.
    > > > Purchased a wireless PCMIA networking card and it slides into the slot

    > but
    > > > will not fit all the way in. He states it seems a little too big for the
    > > > slot.
    > > > I have not been able to see the machine or the card myself yet but any

    > ideas
    > > > ya'll have, please let me know!
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Craig

    > > The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    > > romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all 85.6
    > > mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    > > 10.5mm)
    > >

    > While we're on the subject <g> I just set up an old P133 Dell Latitude which
    > has two PCMCIA slots. The modem that came with it was 28K, I wanted to put a
    > faster modem in but it won't install either. The thickness is the same, but
    > the end of the card is keyed different. Is that because of the Type I, II,
    > III problem also? (None of my newer cards - USB 2.0, NIC, WIFI - fit this
    > old laptop.) Maybe that's the same problem with the guys Toshiba?

    To the best of my knowledge any of the cards will fit in a type 3 slot,
    both types 1 and 2 cards fit into a type 2 slot, and only type 1 cards
    fit into type 1 slots. All three types have the same pin
    configuration. It was the intent of the PCMCIA to make slots on all PCs
    function identically, and I'm not aware of any manufacturers trying to
    make the slot proprietary.

    Lots of info about PC cards here: http://www.pcmcia.org/
    SgtMinor, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Craig

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > >
    > > "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    slot
    > > but

    the

    any
    > > ideas
    > > >
    > > > The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    > > > romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all

    85.6
    > > > mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    > > > 10.5mm)
    > > >

    > > While we're on the subject <g> I just set up an old P133 Dell Latitude

    which
    > > has two PCMCIA slots. The modem that came with it was 28K, I wanted to

    put a
    > > faster modem in but it won't install either. The thickness is the same,

    but
    > > the end of the card is keyed different. Is that because of the Type I,

    II,
    > > III problem also? (None of my newer cards - USB 2.0, NIC, WIFI - fit

    this
    > > old laptop.) Maybe that's the same problem with the guys Toshiba?

    > To the best of my knowledge any of the cards will fit in a type 3 slot,
    > both types 1 and 2 cards fit into a type 2 slot, and only type 1 cards
    > fit into type 1 slots. All three types have the same pin
    > configuration. It was the intent of the PCMCIA to make slots on all PCs
    > function identically, and I'm not aware of any manufacturers trying to
    > make the slot proprietary.
    >
    > Lots of info about PC cards here: http://www.pcmcia.org/

    After a look through that site, I've decided that maybe there IS a problem
    with the old laptops: mabye we have 16 bit PCMCIA slots, and not the 32 bit
    PC-Card slots.
    Toolman Tim, Apr 24, 2004
  7. Craig

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:37:31 -0700, "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

    >"SgtMinor" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig wrote:
    >> >
    >> > A coworker has an older Toshiba laptop that had a PCMIA modem card.
    >> > Purchased a wireless PCMIA networking card and it slides into the slot

    >but
    >> > will not fit all the way in. He states it seems a little too big for the
    >> > slot.
    >> > I have not been able to see the machine or the card myself yet but any

    >ideas
    >> > ya'll have, please let me know!
    >> > Thanks!
    >> > Craig

    >> The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    >> romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all 85.6
    >> mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    >> 10.5mm)
    >>

    >While we're on the subject <g> I just set up an old P133 Dell Latitude which
    >has two PCMCIA slots. The modem that came with it was 28K, I wanted to put a
    >faster modem in but it won't install either. The thickness is the same, but
    >the end of the card is keyed different. Is that because of the Type I, II,
    >III problem also? (None of my newer cards - USB 2.0, NIC, WIFI - fit this
    >old laptop.) Maybe that's the same problem with the guys Toshiba?

    The new card is a cardbus card which is the same size as pcmcia but keyed differently.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Apr 25, 2004
  8. Craig

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:38:34 -0400, SgtMinor <> wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >> "SgtMinor" <> wrote in message

    >> but

    >> ideas
    >> >
    >> > The card may be too thick. There are three PCMCIA standards,
    >> > romantically referred to as Type I, II, or III. The cards are all 85.6
    >> > mm x 54.0 mm, with thicknesses, respectively of 3.3mm, 5.0mm, and
    >> > 10.5mm)
    >> >

    >> While we're on the subject <g> I just set up an old P133 Dell Latitude which
    >> has two PCMCIA slots. The modem that came with it was 28K, I wanted to put a
    >> faster modem in but it won't install either. The thickness is the same, but
    >> the end of the card is keyed different. Is that because of the Type I, II,
    >> III problem also? (None of my newer cards - USB 2.0, NIC, WIFI - fit this
    >> old laptop.) Maybe that's the same problem with the guys Toshiba?

    >To the best of my knowledge any of the cards will fit in a type 3 slot,
    >both types 1 and 2 cards fit into a type 2 slot, and only type 1 cards
    >fit into type 1 slots. All three types have the same pin
    >configuration. It was the intent of the PCMCIA to make slots on all PCs
    >function identically, and I'm not aware of any manufacturers trying to
    >make the slot proprietary.

    PCMCIA is like ISA, 16 bits.
    Cardbus is like PCI, 32 bits.
    PCMCIA will plug into a Cardbus socket but not the other way around.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Apr 25, 2004
  9. Craig

    chris99873

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Pcmia

    I have a Pcmia-2 at&t air card. I bought a new laptop, and the card would slide in most of the way, and that was it. The laptop is a dell inspirion 1501... I believe it had the pcmia-3.

    For some reason, now that I think back on it, the Pcmia-3 pin configuration is not the same as pcmia 1-2, the end of the card wouldnt be as wide..... meaning it does not have a rectangular shape.

    |----\
    |.....---| <--- thats what I am thinking
    I dont know how accurate that is, just something I thought at the time (I think it was the pcmia cover thing that came out, the shape of it).

    But while I am here, I am wondering if a Pcmia-2 will work in a Pcmia-1 slot, if the pin configuration is supposed to be the same, then it should fit it right? The Pcmia-2 is slimmer then type 1..

    I only ask this because the freaking air cards are $299, w/o a new 2 year contract. I got mine, then they come out with the new slot, and If I buy a new laptop wich I need to do, I can't use my existing air card, and its pissing me off. (but I have another laptop with a type-1 slot).
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
    chris99873, Mar 29, 2008