  1. MikeJ

    MikeJ Guest

    What are the relative advantages of each for client adaptors?
    MikeJ, Jan 6, 2006

  2. With USB you can get a longer USB cable to attach the USB wireless adapter
    to. If the signal is weak you can move the USB adapter on the extended cable
    to where the signal may be stronger without having to move the laptop or
    move around in the room looking for a strong signal.

    I've even had to hang one out the window to get a stronger signal.

    The down side is that most peripherals now come with USB connections.
    Depending on how many USB devices you use, and how many USB connections
    your computer has, taking up the USB connection with wireless may be a
    problem.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    Danny Sanders, Jan 6, 2006

  3. MikeJ

    MikeJ_bogus Guest

    Ok, but what's the difference if you use a longer usb cable or a longer
    coax cable say to a pcmcia card? Also have read in some forums that usb
    is flakey with wifi connections compared to pcmcia?

    MikeJ_bogus, Jan 7, 2006
  4. MikeJ

    Adie Guest

    Danny Sanders wrote:

    > With USB you can get a longer USB cable to attach the USB wireless adapter
    > to. If the signal is weak you can move the USB adapter on the extended cable
    > to where the signal may be stronger without having to move the laptop or
    > move around in the room looking for a strong signal.

    This is a HUGE advantage of USB. I have a linksys wusb11 on a 20 foot lead,
    hanging out of the window -- borrowing someone else's network :)
    Adie, Jan 7, 2006
  5. MikeJ

    David Taylor Guest

    > Ok, but what's the difference if you use a longer usb cable or a longer
    > coax cable say to a pcmcia card? Also have read in some forums that usb
    > is flakey with wifi connections compared to pcmcia?

    The coax is subject to signal loss, the USB isn't (as far as the wifi
    signal is concerned).

    David.
    David Taylor, Jan 7, 2006
  6. MikeJ

    Lem Guest

    Adie wrote:

    > Danny Sanders wrote:
    >

    >>With USB you can get a longer USB cable to attach the USB wireless adapter
    >>to. If the signal is weak you can move the USB adapter on the extended cable
    >>to where the signal may be stronger without having to move the laptop or
    >>move around in the room looking for a strong signal.

    > This is a HUGE advantage of USB. I have a linksys wusb11 on a 20 foot lead,
    > hanging out of the window -- borrowing someone else's network :)

    It's nice this works for you. the spec calls for max cable length of 5
    meters (16 feet) unless you're using active cables or multiple hubs.
    Lem, Jan 7, 2006
  7. MikeJ

    Eric Guest

    "MikeJ" wrote in message ...
    > What are the relative advantages of each for client adaptors?

    My most recent laptop has built-in wifi (802.11g), but I still use a PC Card
    (PCMCIA) for at home as my WLAN is 802.11a. PC Card is just more
    convienent, don't have anything dangling so can easily walk around, but my
    WLAN signals cover the entire house fairly well.

    Besides PC Cards and USB adapters, there is another option you could also
    consider. There are now wireless-ethernet adapters small enough and
    streamlined to fit in a laptop bag. Some are even full blown "routers" and
    "access points", allowing you to do all sorts of stuff on the road like
    being able to put together a WLAN, repeat a hotel's WAP, etc.

    I've taken one of my DWL-7100AP's along with me on several trips and used it
    so co-workers and I could throw a quick WLAN together for multiplayer
    gaming, repeat the hotel's AP, etc. Thought about picking up one of those
    "travel routers/AP's" though, as some of them are like the size of just a
    pack of smokes. They also have "client modes" too. Pretty cool.
    Eric, Jan 8, 2006
  8. MikeJ

    Adie Guest

    Lem wrote:

    > Adie wrote:
    >
    >> Danny Sanders wrote:
    >>

    >>>With USB you can get a longer USB cable to attach the USB wireless adapter
    >>>to. If the signal is weak you can move the USB adapter on the extended cable
    >>>to where the signal may be stronger without having to move the laptop or
    >>>move around in the room looking for a strong signal.

    >> This is a HUGE advantage of USB. I have a linksys wusb11 on a 20 foot lead,
    >> hanging out of the window -- borrowing someone else's network :)

    > It's nice this works for you. the spec calls for max cable length of 5
    > meters (16 feet) unless you're using active cables or multiple hubs.

    try it, specs be damned.
    Adie, Jan 8, 2006
  9. MikeJ

    Pavel A. Guest

    "MikeJ" <> wrote in message news:dpmo0v$amo$...
    > What are the relative advantages of each for client adaptors?

    PCMCIA (cardbus) adapter basically is same as PCI or mini-PCI.
    Their only drawback is a tiny built-in antenna, so you either have to put
    your laptop in a right place for good signal, or attach an external antenna
    (rarely possible).
    Once you have achieved a good signal, Cardbus adapters give best
    performance and are rock solid.

    The drawback of USB adapters is that they require much more CPU overhead.
    Usually they work pretty well, but are less robust if some other app or driver
    keeps the CPU busy.

    But there is another important point. Cardbus adapters tend to be more expensive
    than USB, so check the specs carefully. A cheap cardbus on sale can be a discontinued
    model no longer supported by it's creator and lacking features.

    Regards,
    --PA
    Pavel A., Jan 11, 2006