    Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
    damaged or partially disabled, etc.

    Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Sep 17, 2011

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Enkidu Guest

    On 17/09/11 20:24, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > Looking for a laptop to run legacy software via serial port on PCMCIA
    > adapter.
    >
    > Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
    > damaged or partially disabled, etc.
    >
    > Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Sep 18, 2011

  3. >Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

    There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Sep 18, 2011
  4. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-09-17, Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz <> wrote:
    > Looking for a laptop to run legacy software via serial port on PCMCIA
    > adapter.
    >
    > Anything on youyr reducdancy shelp ? Superceded by later hardware;
    > damaged or partially disabled, etc.
    >
    > Reply direct to lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

    That request is so last decade. It is accepted that if one posts in a public
    arena, then the replies come back to it. After all, people learn by reading
    others problems and solutions.

    Gordon, Sep 18, 2011
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    David Empson Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz <> wrote:

    > >Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

    > There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

    Other way around. A USB to serial adapter gives you a serial port on a
    modern laptop. It plugs into a USB port on the laptop.

    Not quite as good as a PCMCIA serial port (or modern equivalent, such as
    ExpressCard), since there is added latency for the USB protocol, but
    generally good enough for most serial devices.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Sep 18, 2011
  6. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    victor Guest

    On 18/09/2011 4:09 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    >> Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

    > There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

    You could still consider trying a USB (on the laptop) to serial DB9 (on
    the legacy equipment) adapter though.

    victor, Sep 19, 2011
  7. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> Have you considered using a serial to USB connector?

    > There is no USB provision on the legacy equipment.

    Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some empathy
    and see where that takes us....
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2011
  8. >Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some empathy
    >and see where that takes us....

    The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
    traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.

    There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
    performing correctly and adequately.

    Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
    dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
    software to record and display engine performance data.

    Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
    adapters with the appropriate pin out details.

    The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.

    The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
    usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.

    Tks for interest and suggestion.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Sep 20, 2011
  9. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >> Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some
    >> empathy and see where that takes us....

    > The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
    > traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.
    >
    > There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
    > performing correctly and adequately.
    >
    > Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
    > dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
    > software to record and display engine performance data.
    >
    > Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
    > adapters with the appropriate pin out details.
    >
    > The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.
    >
    > The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
    > usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.
    >
    > Tks for interest and suggestion.

    Ok, I'm pleased that you got it going. I was going to offer you one of
    these: http://www.langalaxy.com/showroom/15447.cfm if it's of any use to
    you. I got a couple of them in a box-lot at auction and I'd heard that they
    were highly regarded. Apparently the bee's knees of USB -> Serial port
    devices (but that *was* a while ago...).

    I've never had the need for one (so far) yet alone two so, if one would be
    of any use to you in the future feel free to drop me a line at
    shaun.at.pukekohe (with @gmail.com after it) and I'll drop one in the mail
    to you when I'm next at the post shop with a spare couple of dollars. I
    don't have any software for it but I seem to remember that last time I
    plugged one into a Windows XP computer it found the drivers in it's own
    driver library.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Sep 21, 2011
  10. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >>> Care to share what the equipment is, tell a story? Maybe elicit some
    >>> empathy and see where that takes us....

    >> The laptop in question was loaded with engine tuning software. The
    >> traditional access to the engine is via a serial port.
    >>
    >> There was a fault in the display on an item that otherwise was
    >> performing correctly and adequately.
    >>
    >> Connection to the engive is via a PCMCIA card with a serial port
    >> dongle: the card provides the appropriate pin out details for the
    >> software to record and display engine performance data.
    >>
    >> Immediate needs preclude the search for compatable USB to Serial
    >> adapters with the appropriate pin out details.
    >>
    >> The immediate problem has been solved by replacing the LCD display.
    >>
    >> The longer term problem of finding suitable software with associated
    >> usb to serial pin out detals can now be down at leisure.
    >>
    >> Tks for interest and suggestion.

    > Ok, I'm pleased that you got it going. I was going to offer you one of
    > these: http://www.langalaxy.com/showroom/15447.cfm if it's of any use
    > to you. I got a couple of them in a box-lot at auction and I'd heard
    > that they were highly regarded. Apparently the bee's knees of USB ->
    > Serial port devices (but that *was* a while ago...).
    >
    > I've never had the need for one (so far) yet alone two so, if one
    > would be of any use to you in the future feel free to drop me a line
    > at shaun.at.pukekohe (with @gmail.com after it) and I'll drop one in
    > the mail to you when I'm next at the post shop with a spare couple of
    > dollars. I don't have any software for it but I seem to remember that
    > last time I plugged one into a Windows XP computer it found the
    > drivers in it's own driver library.
    >
    > Cheers,

    I just re-read that, not very clear....

    If you want one of those devices you can have one, gratis. Just email me an
    address and I'll drop into the PostShop next time I'm in town.

    Best,

    ~misfit~, Sep 22, 2011