    How can one tell without connecting?
    TIA,
    Julie
    JJ, Oct 26, 2003

  2. On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:19:56 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >I have two PCMCIA modems but they do not say which connect speed they should
    >run at, e.g 14.4,28.8 33.6 etc.
    >How can one tell without connecting?

    Without connecting to the PC? Look up their model numbers?

    Without connecting to the Internet or a remote host:

    If your modem understands standard Hayes chipset commands, you could
    try sending it the command "at+ms?"

    My 56k responds as such:
    -------------------------
    at+ms?
    12,1,300,56000,1,0,33600
    OK
    -------------------------

    As this shows '56000' for downstream speed, it's a 56k modem.

    To enter AT commands to it, locate the HyperTerminal program that
    comes with the major versions of Windows, and open a connection
    "Direct to COMx" where x is the COM port the modem is on (check under
    control panel/modems)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand
    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 26, 2003

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hi Kristofer,
    Thanks for the help.
    Can you go through that procedure in detail.
    I am definitely a newbie at this.
    Thanks,
    Julie

    JJ, Oct 27, 2003