    -------------------------------------
    Graham Russell Photography
    www.grahamrussell.info
    Graham Russell, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Graham Russell

    Maze Guest

    Graham Russell wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I currently have both USB1 and USB2 6-in-1 card readers. However,
    > when on the move I find it a pain using the USB1 reader with my
    > laptop.
    >
    > I have compact flash cards (type I) and a microdrive (type II). I
    > would like to get a PCMCIA compact flash reader to keep the kit a bit
    > more compact. Does anyone know if I get a microdrive PCMCIA adapter
    > whether a standard compact flash (type I) would fit in it? Obviously
    > a microdrive won't fit a type I adapter, but does it work the other
    > way round?
    >
    > If not I'll need to buy 2 adapters.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Graham.

    Hi
    Just had a quick look on Ebay, and there are adapters that will fit both.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969905579&category=18868

    £20 buy it now!

    HTH
    Maze
    Maze, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Graham Russell

    Maze Guest

    Maze wrote:
    > Graham Russell wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I currently have both USB1 and USB2 6-in-1 card readers. However,
    >> when on the move I find it a pain using the USB1 reader with my
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> I have compact flash cards (type I) and a microdrive (type II). I
    >> would like to get a PCMCIA compact flash reader to keep the kit a bit
    >> more compact. Does anyone know if I get a microdrive PCMCIA adapter
    >> whether a standard compact flash (type I) would fit in it? Obviously
    >> a microdrive won't fit a type I adapter, but does it work the other
    >> way round?
    >>
    >> If not I'll need to buy 2 adapters.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Graham.

    > Hi
    > Just had a quick look on Ebay, and there are adapters that will fit
    > both.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2969905579&category=18868

    > £20 buy it now!
    >
    > HTH
    > Maze

    PS Before you ask, I'm not selling them! :)
    Maze, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Graham Russell

    Coolasblu Guest

    Will these cards transfer faster than usb 2 ?
    Coolasblu, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Graham Russell

    Maze Guest

    Coolasblu wrote:
    > Will these cards transfer faster than usb 2 ?

    Honest answer - I don't know. probably not though
    Maze, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Graham Russell

    African Bios Guest

    "Coolasblu" <noway> wrote in news::

    > Will these cards transfer faster than usb 2 ?

    PCMCIA bus transfer at Max (theoretically) 20 Mb per second ( 160Mbits
    /sec) Usb 2 is 480 Mbits per sec and firewire 400mbit per sec. So faster
    than USB 1 but not as fast as Usb 2. Not bad for 13 yr old technology
    HTH a bit

    --
    Remove nyet / block or change dot to .
    to reply Thank you
    African Bios, Dec 8, 2003
  7. "Graham Russell" <> wrote:

    > I have compact flash cards (type I) and a microdrive (type II). I would like
    > to get a PCMCIA compact flash reader to keep the kit a bit more compact.

    Be aware that a standard PCMCIA adapter is nothing more than a
    connector adapter and although cheap (< US$10 typically) it'll only be
    as fast as a USB1 reader in most laptops (i.e. <= 1.25Mbytes/sec).

    Delkin recently released a CardBus CF adapter that'll work at USB2
    type speeds (electronics internally) but they not cheap ~US$48).

    http://www.delkin.com/cardbus.htm

    ---
    Don't feed the trolls--it only makes them grow!
    Stuart Middleton-White, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Seeing the replies so far - perhaps I should get a PCMCIA USB2 adapter. My
    laptop only has USB1 built-in. The only trouble is they are double height
    cards (I think).

    Graham Russell, Dec 8, 2003