    Please help me regarding this.

    with regards,
    Ranga.

    Ranga, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Ranga

    DaveJ Guest

    "Ranga" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I would like to know the difference between PCMCIA card and CF card.
    >
    > Is CF card inherits PCMCIA? I would like to know the History.
    >
    > Please help me regarding this.
    >
    > with regards,
    > Ranga.

    PCMCIA was originally used for laptops (c 1990), CF for handhelds/PDAs (c
    1994) then digicams and other devices. As usual, cards will get smaller as
    time goes by to allow smaller devices with lower power drain and you can
    usually guarantee that somebody will come up with an adapter....

    a couple of useful links:
    http://fortezza-support.com/standard.html
    http://www.compactflash.org/info/cfinfo.htm

    regards,
    DaveJ.

    DaveJ, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Ranga

    Snowman Guest

    PCMCIA is an interface standard. There are many devices that you can get
    with interface, such as modems, ethernet cards, and yes, compact flash full
    size PCMCIA cards (not common).
    CF is a compact flash memory card using mini-ATA interface to a host
    machine. Generally referred to memory cards, but there are other devices
    that use mini-ATA connector, but not so common.

    Snowman, Dec 13, 2003
  4. On 12 Dec 2003 22:45:09 -0800, (Ranga)
    wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >
    >I would like to know the difference between PCMCIA card and CF card.
    >
    >Is CF card inherits PCMCIA? I would like to know the History.
    >
    >Please help me regarding this.
    >
    >with regards,
    >Ranga.

    PCMCIA is Short for Personal Computer Memory Card International
    Association, and pronounced as separate letters, PCMCIA is an
    organization consisting of some 500 companies that has developed a
    standard for small, credit card-sized devices, called PC Cards.
    Originally designed for adding memory to portable computers, the
    PCMCIA standard has been expanded several times and is now suitable
    for many types of devices. There are in fact three types of PCMCIA
    cards. All three have the same rectangular size (85.6 by 54
    millimeters), but different widths

    You can get PCMCIA cards taht are modems, hard drives, network careds,
    and more, including USB adapters.

    CF stands for compact flash - Often referred to as a CompactFlash
    card, a very small removable mass storage device that relies on flash
    memory technology, a storage technology that does not require a
    battery to retain data indefinitely. CompactFlash cards can support
    3.3V and 5V operation and can switch between the two, in contrast to
    other small-form factor flash memory cards that can only operate at
    one voltage. There are two types of CompactFlash cards to accommodate
    different capacities: Type I cards are 3.3mm thick while Type II cards
    are 5.5mm thick. The card was designed based on the PCMCIA PC Card
    standard and can fit into a PCMCIA slot with an adapter.

    I have used the CF to PCMCIA and smartmedia to PCMCIA adapters - in
    win98 and XP they show up as a hard drive when plugged in.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Ranga

    Marten Guest

    That was excellent :)

    Marten, Dec 14, 2003
  6. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:26:51 -0500, Chris P in PA
    <cash4you@nospam_comcast.net> wrote:

    >PCMCIA is Short for Personal Computer Memory Card International
    >Association, and pronounced as separate letters, PCMCIA is an

    And all this time I thought it stood for:
    "People can't memorize computer industry acronyms."

    But seriously, good reply.

    --
    - Lee

    Lee Lindquist, Dec 16, 2003