    the same kinda thing?

    thanks
    Mike

    Mike, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Mike

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:cnm29t$9j0$...
    > anyone know what PCM stereo is exactly? Is it better than Dolby
    > Digital or
    > the same kinda thing?

    It's 2-channel uncompressed digital audio, the same standard used on
    CDs.

    Joshua Zyber, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Mike

    Biz Guest

    Its whats on all audio cds. In many ways its better, if its a stereo-only
    mix of say a concert/music dvd, the PCM version should be substantially
    better than any 2 channel DD/DTS version provided they used the same mix.

    Biz, Nov 20, 2004
  4. >anyone know what PCM stereo is exactly? Is it better than Dolby Digital or
    >the same kinda thing?

    Pulse Code Modulation, expressed as binary math representing information that's
    quantized and sampled at their specific rates for full digitization of sound.

    It is "uncompressed" digital audio, unlike Dolby Digital, DTS, and MP3 which
    are perceptual audio CODECs designed to reduce the bitrate of a recording while
    trying to maintain the quality.

    Compact Discs play PCM at 16-bit quantization with 44.1 kHz sampling rate after
    the stream is retrieved from 8-14 demoduation and CIRC error correction.

    16-bit translates into roughly 96 dB of dynamic range with dither factored
    while 44.1 kHz translates into an exact maximum frequency response of 22.05 kHz
    for CD. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Mike

    luminos Guest

    Be aware that if you captured DV or Mpeg2 and then author the DVD using PCM,
    you are encoding compressed audio then expanded to 'uncompressed.' You get
    *no* gain in quality from the original capture audio. None. It is provided
    as an option for compatability purposes. I have found none of my players
    that reject Mpeg1 Layer II, which is far more space efficient.

    luminos, Nov 20, 2004
  6. >Be aware that if you captured DV or Mpeg2 and then author the DVD using PCM,
    >you are encoding compressed audio then expanded to 'uncompressed.' You get
    >*no* gain in quality from the original capture audio.

    What brought this up?

    Although what you say is most certainly true (you can't gain what isn't there),
    this particular point never had a question to prompt it. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 21, 2004
  7. Mike

    luminos Guest

    > >Be aware that if you captured DV or Mpeg2 and then author the DVD using
    > >PCM,
    >>you are encoding compressed audio then expanded to 'uncompressed.' You
    >>get
    >>*no* gain in quality from the original capture audio.

    > What brought this up?
    >
    > Although what you say is most certainly true (you can't gain what isn't
    > there),
    > this particular point never had a question to prompt it. - Reinhart

    I extended your remarks. It was not clear to me what context the original
    post was about. I inferred it might be about authoring DVDs.

    luminos, Nov 21, 2004
  8. >I extended your remarks. It was not clear to me what context the original
    >post was about. I inferred it might be about authoring DVDs.

    Sounds fair.

    Sorry. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Nov 21, 2004