PClinux OS who else ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony in Oz, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    news:ghs2j5$um0$...
    > Is any one else running PClinux ?
    > I want to pick a younger, brighter brain
    > --
    > grumpy

    Than what? Yours Grumpy? Is that very hard to do?

    --
    "Maybe I'll sell you a chicken... with poison interlaced with the meat"
    -Ween, "Buenos Tardes Amigo"

    Tony in Oz, Dec 12, 2008

  2. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    >> Is any one else running PClinux ?
    >> I want to pick a younger, brighter brain
    >>

    > Than what? Yours Grumpy? Is that very hard to do?

    LOL, now now children. <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2008

  3. On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:28:54 +1300, ~misfit~ <>
    wrote in <news:ghspab$koj$>:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    >> "grumpyoldhori" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is any one else running PClinux ?
    >>> I want to pick a younger, brighter brain
    >>>

    >> Than what? Yours Grumpy? Is that very hard to do?

    > LOL, now now children. <g>

    I was going to mutter something about younger, brighter brains having more
    sense than to run it...

    --
    Vrolijk Kerstfeest,
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Tony in Oz

    Enkidu Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Is any one else running PClinux ?
    > I want to pick a younger, brighter brain

    What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-12, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > >
    >> Is any one else running PClinux ?
    >> I want to pick a younger, brighter brain
    > >

    > What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.

    Have you tried alt.os.linux.pclinuxos? Low traffic group

    Gordon, Dec 12, 2008
  6. Tony in Oz

    Taranis Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On 2008-12-12, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >> >
    >>> Is any one else running PClinux ?
    >>> I want to pick a younger, brighter brain
    >> >

    >> What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.
    >>

    > Have you tried alt.os.linux.pclinuxos? Low traffic group

    Or since it is mandriva based, one of those groups. I have tried it but
    found it a little clunky compared with the debian based distros.

    Taranis, Dec 12, 2008
  7. Is any one else running PClinux ?

    grumpyoldhori, Dec 12, 2008
  8. Tony in Oz

    k9nick Guest

    > LOL, now now children. <g>
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Shaun old love. How's yer Christmas going. Still bitching about life ?

    Me ? New job, new house, new car, new wife. Jingle bells to ya

    k9nick, Dec 12, 2008
  9. Tony in Oz

    k9nick Guest

    On 12 Dec, 22:40, Taranis <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:

    > >> What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.

    > > Have you tried alt.os.linux.pclinuxos? Low traffic group

    > Or since it is mandriva based, one of those groups. I have tried it but
    > found it a little clunky compared with the debian based distros.

    I gave up pissin about with Linux when I found myself the only one
    using it for work and studies and all I was doing was converting or
    setting up stuff to work on one or the other. Plus, with some abilitly
    toconvert ms stuff over to linux to use on linux, why not just use ms.
    (shrug)

    k9nick, Dec 12, 2008
  10. Tony in Oz

    Enkidu Guest

    grumpyoldhori wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > How does one change clear themes, I'm buggered if
    > I can find it.

    Is that KDE or Gnome or something else? You talking about 'clearlooks'
    themes?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Dec 12, 2008
  11. In message
    <>, k9nick
    wrote:

    > ... why not just use ms.

    Because you pay good money for something, only to discover you don’t
    actually own it. Come time to resell it, how do you prove to the buyer
    you’ve got a legitimate copy? “Certificate of Authenticity� Worthless.
    Product activation code? How can either of you be sure that hasn’t been
    declared invalid by Microsoft on the grounds that it’s turned up on a
    pirate list somewhere?

    So you discover that you don’t actually have “rights†to anything at all.
    What did you pay for, exactly? To make Microsoft richer, and that’s about
    it.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 12, 2008
  12. Tony in Oz

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:16:22 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >> Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> What's the question grumpy? It may not be distro specific.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> How does one change clear themes, I'm buggered if I can find it.
    >>

    > Is that KDE or Gnome or something else? You talking about 'clearlooks'
    > themes?

    PCLinuxOS installs to KDE by default, so its themes can be changed just
    like in any distro with a current KDE desktop.

    Also, there is a wealth of info on setting up PCLinuxOS to your own
    tastes at the PCLinuxOS web pages:
    <http://docs.pclinuxos.com/Main_Page>
    <http://docs.pclinuxos.com/KDE_User_Guide>

    Specifically on page <http://docs.pclinuxos.com/KDE_User_Guide_Chap_02>
    Where I found this following tid-bit (and likely the answer that Grumpy is
    seeking - it has step by step pix).

    The theme used by the Desktop can be changed by running the Theme manager
    from the Menu.

    Menu > System > Configuration > KDE > System Administration > Theme
    Manager

    HTH Grumpy.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Dec 13, 2008
  13. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-12, k9nick <> wrote:
    > On 12 Dec, 22:40, Taranis <> wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >> > Have you tried alt.os.linux.pclinuxos? Low traffic group

    >> Or since it is mandriva based, one of those groups. I have tried it but
    >> found it a little clunky compared with the debian based distros.

    > I gave up pissin about with Linux when I found myself the only one
    > using it for work and studies and all I was doing was converting or
    > setting up stuff to work on one or the other. Plus, with some abilitly
    > toconvert ms stuff over to linux to use on linux, why not just use ms.
    > (shrug)

    You choice, enjoy. Other want theirs.

    Ms Penguin says she can read MS Windows files just fine, but not vica versa.

    Your post has just argued for the open documentation standard. Pity you
    missed the point ;-

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2008
  14. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-13, grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> alt.os.linux.pclinuxos

    > No but I will, they may be more into Linux :)

    Spotted your posting before reading here.

    BTW vlc is a cross platform programme ;-

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2008
  15. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-12, k9nick <> wrote:

    >> LOL, now now children. <g>
    >> --
    >> Shaun.

    > Shaun old love. How's yer Christmas going. Still bitching about life ?
    >
    > Me ? New job, new house, new car, new wife. Jingle bells to ya

    Wives had the idea that they can change their man, husbands wish that
    everything would stay the same.

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2008
  16. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-12-13, grumpyoldhori <> wrote:
    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >
    >> Menu > System > Configuration > KDE > System Administration > Theme
    >> Manager

    > AHH, thank you for that.
    > See what happens when one gets a few gray hairs :)

    Ms Penguin here. Linux is alot like people. All the same but different.

    KDE has its own control ctr Menu > System > Control Ctr. Enjoy.

    As I have said many times, something that Ms Windows got right was the
    control ctr. She went on to create the hidden one for herself, not the user

    Gordon, Dec 13, 2008
  17. Tony in Oz

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:02:36 -0600, grumpyoldhori <>
    wrote:

    >Is any one else running PClinux ?
    >I want to pick a younger, brighter brain

    Only Idiots Run Lunix.

    Peter M, Dec 13, 2008
  18. Tony in Oz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > On 2008-12-12, k9nick <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> LOL, now now children. <g>
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.

    >> Shaun old love. How's yer Christmas going. Still bitching about life
    >> ?
    >>
    >> Me ? New job, new house, new car, new wife. Jingle bells to ya

    So you were fired, evicted, that POS car died and you found a suxx0r. LOL,
    did your dog leave you too?

    (Aplogies Gordon for replying via your post, this stalker is still in my
    krill-file. I know, I know, I should have more self-control...)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 13, 2008
  19. Peter M wrote:

    > Only Idiots Run Lunix.

    Hostility is often an attempt to mask fear. Fear of change? Fear that one's hard-won skills will inevitably be rendered obsolete?

    Knowledge is also power. Perhaps you define yourself by the power you hold over others? And you don't relish the prospect of seeing that gradually but inexorably slip out of your grasp?

    Change is a constant. The only way to deal with it is to adapt. The flexible shall inherit the Earth.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 13, 2008
  20. Tony in Oz

    Taranis Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> Only Idiots Run Lunix.

    > Hostility is often an attempt to mask fear. Fear of change? Fear that
    > one's hard-won skills will inevitably be rendered obsolete?
    >
    > Knowledge is also power. Perhaps you define yourself by the power you hold
    > over others? And you don't relish the prospect of seeing that gradually
    > but inexorably slip out of your grasp?
    >
    > Change is a constant. The only way to deal with it is to adapt. The
    > flexible shall inherit the Earth.

    Nice sentiments but you are speaking to Roger, so it went way over his
    head. His brain is so calcified that it seems to have formed around the
    same time as homo habilis.

    Taranis, Dec 13, 2008