    but it is pointless when this happens on completion of a clean install.
    Just wondering what is actually causing this problem.

    Thanks

    Clayton, Sep 9, 2008

  2. I would suggest that you remove all devices from the system that the machine
    doesn't need for booting safely. Keep the keeboard and mouse and one optical
    drive and one HD to install to - basically remove evrything else. You could
    even minimize your RAM to one stick.

    If you manage to complete the installation, start putting things back
    one-by-one. Make sure you have the latest BIOS and check for new versions of
    all the chipset support stuff that came on your System CD.

    And, please, report back!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Hi Tony,

    I removed a PCI-E X1 USB card and reinstalled Vista, did it again, removed
    the second SATA HDD and internal card reader which is plugged into a flex
    bay connector on the motherboard, these connectors come with the Dell
    Precision 390 and T3400 workstations and reinstalled Vista and was ok, so I
    plugged the second SATA HDD again leaving the internal card reader unplugged
    and reinstalled Vista and was all ok, so I guess it maybe the card reader
    that is causing the problem?

    Clayton, Sep 12, 2008
  4. Those card readers are notoriously problematic. They appear to get in the
    way of proper HD enumeration. I finally gave up and ripped the one out of my
    main XP x64 machine a long time ago, just because it was such a pain.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 13, 2008
  5. Clayton

    Clayton Guest

    Seems ok installing Vista 64 Bit with SP-1, it all started when installing
    Vista 64 Bit with SP-1 intergrated, maybe a issue with some changes made in
    SP-1

    Clayton, Sep 14, 2008