    with the acceleration in Win98 set to minimum I figure I should be able
    to get something better for about $100 or so. What is a good brand (not
    another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    > (%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.

    > What is a good brand (not
    > another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)

    Something like an nvidia GF2MX PCI would be overkill, you can get them
    fairly cheap, check out pricespy and do some research.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Hi there,

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    >> (%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.

    >> What is a good brand (not another S3 please. They are legendendary for
    >> crap drivers)

    > Something like an nvidia GF2MX PCI would be overkill, you can get them
    > fairly cheap, check out pricespy and do some research.

    Yes, GF2/MX works nicely in PCI guise. Mine handles Return to Wolf, and
    Unreal Tourney nicely at 800x600 full detail/low AA, but does 1024x768
    so long as AA is disabled...

    I'd sell it to the OP, but its too good to give away just yet... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 7, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    lid says...
    > I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    > (%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.
    >
    > After putting up with all the display lockups which still happen even
    > with the acceleration in Win98 set to minimum I figure I should be able
    > to get something better for about $100 or so. What is a good brand (not
    > another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)

    Something like the PowerColor ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 32Mb DDR woul do the
    trick. Though I've had S3 virges working fine under win2k/xp/linux.

    See:

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html#g30

    Having said that it could almost work out cheaper to get a new
    motherboard with outboard video (!)

    wogers nemesis, Aug 7, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    > > (%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.

    > > What is a good brand (not
    > > another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)

    > Something like an nvidia GF2MX PCI would be overkill, you can get them
    > fairly cheap, check out pricespy and do some research.

    GF == Geforce?

    It's quite an old computer, so anything over 8MB would be overkill also

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 7, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > lid says...
    > > I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    > > (%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.
    > >
    > > After putting up with all the display lockups which still happen even
    > > with the acceleration in Win98 set to minimum I figure I should be able
    > > to get something better for about $100 or so. What is a good brand (not
    > > another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)
    > >

    > Something like the PowerColor ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 32Mb DDR woul do the
    > trick. Though I've had S3 virges working fine under win2k/xp/linux.
    >
    > See:
    >
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html#g30
    >
    > Having said that it could almost work out cheaper to get a new
    > motherboard with outboard video (!)

    I'm not planning to spend large amounts of money on this old PC which is
    worth almost nothing.

    What is the general opinion of SIS chipset cards? Some of those are made
    in 8MB PCI models and my experience of SIS stuff over the years has been
    fairly good.

    S3 drivers are notorious for poor quality; you even see support solutions
    that say "if your card is an S3, disable this this and this". This
    particular card is a cheap one too (ExpertColor)

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>Something like an nvidia GF2MX PCI would be overkill, you can get them
    >>fairly cheap, check out pricespy and do some research.

    > GF == Geforce?

    yep

    > It's quite an old computer, so anything over 8MB would be overkill also

    I dont know if you'll be able to get anything smaller than that, I don't
    shop in that range of hardware, so would be guessing at best.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 15:39:11 +1200, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a budget video card to replace an S3 Virge heap of !#^%*
    >(%T(*^&^ in a PC I have here.
    >
    >After putting up with all the display lockups which still happen even
    >with the acceleration in Win98 set to minimum I figure I should be able
    >to get something better for about $100 or so. What is a good brand (not
    >another S3 please. They are legendendary for crap drivers)

    I had an S3 Virge GX2 AGP card, 4meg, no heatsink, and the only time I
    had it locking up was when it was during hot weather, a couple of
    times. It had better graphics picture quality and better video
    playback performance than an 8meg Intel card, though that Intel card
    benchmarked 20% faster.

    GraB, Aug 7, 2004