pci video card with tv-out for an 800mhz computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by yawnmoth, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. yawnmoth

    yawnmoth Guest

    i'm looking for a pci video card with tv-out for an 800mhz computer.

    in looking on ebay, i've seen a few nVidia GeForce4 MX440's going for
    not so big amounts, but... i've had bad experiences with nVidia's
    tv-out on an old nVidia GeForce3 Ti500 i have. i used a program
    called TV Tool, because, iirc, the default softwares support wasn't
    very good, but even with that, outputting to the TV would usually make
    the output on the VGA monitor unrecognizable.

    that said, i seem to recall GeForce4's having improved tv-out
    functionality, but... for one, the MX series of GeForce4's is based
    on GeForce2 technology (not GeForce4), and for two, despite tv-out on
    the GeForce4 supposedly being better, i haven't read any personal
    antedotes about how it is better.

    a good alternative i've found to nVidia's (in terms of tv-out
    functionality) are radeons. i've used three different radeons (as
    opposed to only one nVidia) - two Radeon 7500s, and one Radeon 9600 -
    and each of those did tv-out exactly as i would expect them to do it.
    the only bad thing about them is that video can't be watched on both a
    TV and on the actual monitor. however, you can't do that on nVidia's,
    either, so i'm not really too concerned about that.

    but i digress. i'm looking for a pci video card with tv-out that
    would pretty much be as functional as an 800mhz computer would be.
    i've seen a few pci Radeon 7000s on eBay, with tv-out, dvi-out, and
    32mb ram, but... those seem to be overkill. games that would benifit
    from the extra features of that video card (as opposed to another one)
    are most likely not going to be playable, anyways, on an 800mhz
    machine. further, they're simply more expensive than i need, anyways.
    so, like i said, is there a good pci video card with tv-out from the
    800 mhz era? what kind of video cards was ati producing, then, and
    how was the tv-out on those cards? was 3dfx still making cards back
    then? if so, how was the tv-out on those? i'd happily consider
    nvidia cards, too, but as i sorta explained, earlier, i'm trepidatious
    of their tv-out.

    any help would be appreciated - thanks :)

    yawnmoth, Apr 29, 2004

  2. yawnmoth

    Guest

    (yawnmoth) wrote in message news:<>...

    > a good alternative i've found to nVidia's (in terms of tv-out
    > functionality) are radeons. i've used three different radeons (as
    > opposed to only one nVidia) - two Radeon 7500s, and one Radeon 9600 -
    > and each of those did tv-out exactly as i would expect them to do it.
    > the only bad thing about them is that video can't be watched on both a
    > TV and on the actual monitor. however, you can't do that on nVidia's,
    > either, so i'm not really too concerned about that.

    I have a Radeon 8500 VIVO which allows me to send a signal to the tv
    and see it on the computer at the same time, also it has a theatre
    mode which just sends the video (film, tv picture) without the rest
    of the desktop.

    You may find a separate tv card could be better for you, so you could
    try looking for a specific tv card instead of an all in one. Do a
    google search for "pci tv cards" and check out the results and see if
    that is more to your tastes.

    Stuart

    , Apr 30, 2004

  3. yawnmoth

    AdamC Guest

    "yawnmoth" <> wrote in message
    > i'm looking for a pci video card with tv-out for an 800mhz computer.
    >
    > in looking on ebay, i've seen a few nVidia GeForce4 MX440's going for
    > not so big amounts, but... i've had bad experiences with nVidia's
    > tv-out on an old nVidia GeForce3 Ti500 i have. i used a program
    > called TV Tool, because, iirc, the default softwares support wasn't
    > very good, but even with that, outputting to the TV would usually make
    > the output on the VGA monitor unrecognizable.
    >
    > that said, i seem to recall GeForce4's having improved tv-out
    > functionality, but... for one, the MX series of GeForce4's is based
    > on GeForce2 technology (not GeForce4), and for two, despite tv-out on
    > the GeForce4 supposedly being better, i haven't read any personal
    > antedotes about how it is better.
    >
    > a good alternative i've found to nVidia's (in terms of tv-out
    > functionality) are radeons. i've used three different radeons (as
    > opposed to only one nVidia) - two Radeon 7500s, and one Radeon 9600 -
    > and each of those did tv-out exactly as i would expect them to do it.
    > the only bad thing about them is that video can't be watched on both a
    > TV and on the actual monitor. however, you can't do that on nVidia's,
    > either, so i'm not really too concerned about that.
    >
    > but i digress. i'm looking for a pci video card with tv-out that
    > would pretty much be as functional as an 800mhz computer would be.
    > i've seen a few pci Radeon 7000s on eBay, with tv-out, dvi-out, and
    > 32mb ram, but... those seem to be overkill. games that would benifit
    > from the extra features of that video card (as opposed to another one)
    > are most likely not going to be playable, anyways, on an 800mhz
    > machine. further, they're simply more expensive than i need, anyways.
    > so, like i said, is there a good pci video card with tv-out from the
    > 800 mhz era? what kind of video cards was ati producing, then, and
    > how was the tv-out on those cards? was 3dfx still making cards back
    > then? if so, how was the tv-out on those? i'd happily consider
    > nvidia cards, too, but as i sorta explained, earlier, i'm trepidatious
    > of their tv-out.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated - thanks :)

    My ATI Radeon 8500 128MB DDR (full version w/tv-out, vga, and DVI input)
    runs both TV and monitor at the same time. Actually I have it setup so I
    have the tv and my extended desktop for dual monitor. I do this for when
    I'm using multitrack programs like Nuendo, Audition and so on.

    Any ATI card with TV-out should allow video to be played on both screens at
    the same time. I've never had that problem. You might need to configure it
    properly or refer to the user's manual.

    Adam

    AdamC, Apr 30, 2004