    frusstrating details drive me nuts! Thanks

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Chris E

    Ghost Guest

    In article <VRgWa.33320$o%2.17567@sccrnsc02>, "Chris E"
    <> wrote:

    > I've been working on a Gateway system that I would normally consider a
    > throw-away system, but my friend would really like for me to see if I can
    > fix it. It's a mini-desktop PC by Gateway (a spacesaver of sorts). Anyway,
    > I've come to the conclusion for now that the onboard video adapter is bad.
    > The mobo doesn't support AGP, so I'm out looking for a PCI vid adapter and
    > want to attempt to disable the onboard adapter and use the PCI adapter.
    > Unfortunately, the system is so tiny that I can't find an adapter for it. I
    > can find a few that would fit in the case itself, but the backing plate on
    > adapters is usually around 5 inches long or so. This system requires a card
    > with a backing plate only about 3 inches long. If I could find a 3 inch
    > plate it would probably be possible to swap the plate on the adapter, but I
    > don't even know where to start looking for a 3 inch backing plate! Does
    > anyone here understand what I'm talking about and if so, could you point me
    > in the right direction? It could be such an easy fix, but these little
    > frusstrating details drive me nuts! Thanks
    >
    > Chris
    > A+, Net+

    I know EXACTLY what you mean... you need a half height bracket.

    If you cannot find on one the web (they can be found, but are hard to
    find), you might just consider modifying the one you have to fit.

    Ghost, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Chris E

    Outgoing Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:49:59 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <VRgWa.33320$o%2.17567@sccrnsc02>, "Chris E"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been working on a Gateway system that I would normally consider a
    >> throw-away system, but my friend would really like for me to see if I can
    >> fix it. It's a mini-desktop PC by Gateway (a spacesaver of sorts). Anyway,
    >> I've come to the conclusion for now that the onboard video adapter is bad.
    >> The mobo doesn't support AGP, so I'm out looking for a PCI vid adapter and
    >> want to attempt to disable the onboard adapter and use the PCI adapter.
    >> Unfortunately, the system is so tiny that I can't find an adapter for it. I
    >> can find a few that would fit in the case itself, but the backing plate on
    >> adapters is usually around 5 inches long or so. This system requires a card
    >> with a backing plate only about 3 inches long. If I could find a 3 inch
    >> plate it would probably be possible to swap the plate on the adapter, but I
    >> don't even know where to start looking for a 3 inch backing plate! Does
    >> anyone here understand what I'm talking about and if so, could you point me
    >> in the right direction? It could be such an easy fix, but these little
    >> frusstrating details drive me nuts! Thanks
    >>
    >> Chris
    >> A+, Net+

    >I know EXACTLY what you mean... you need a half height bracket.
    >
    >If you cannot find on one the web (they can be found, but are hard to
    >find), you might just consider modifying the one you have to fit.

    I had to modify the bracket on a nic for that same darned model.

    BTW, I've been replacing hard drives in those a lot lately. They seem
    to get pretty hot -- the only fan is the little 60 in the psu and it
    is really cramped in that case.

    Outgoing, Aug 2, 2003