    I have tried it on another Pentium 166 system, with same results. Is there a
    fault with the card, or is it the system I am installing it on, is not up to
    the job?
    John Davis, Dec 17, 2003

  2. John Davis

    MJP Guest

    I have tried to install a PCI USB card on an ancient system. Its a Pentium
    > 166. The card is recognized, but shows as a conflict in device manager,

    and
    > will not recognize a usb device. There is no minimum spec on the box,

    apart
    > from windows 98, which is installed.
    >
    > I have tried it on another Pentium 166 system, with same results. Is there

    > fault with the card, or is it the system I am installing it on, is not up

    > the job?

    Try it in another slot

    ---
    MJP, Dec 17, 2003

  3. John Davis

    philo Guest

    John Davis wrote:

    > I have tried to install a PCI USB card on an ancient system. Its a Pentium
    > 166. The card is recognized, but shows as a conflict in device manager, and
    > will not recognize a usb device. There is no minimum spec on the box, apart
    > from windows 98, which is installed.
    >
    > I have tried it on another Pentium 166 system, with same results. Is there a
    > fault with the card, or is it the system I am installing it on, is not up to
    > the job?

    Check the bios to see if you have the pci slot set to auto or manual...

    try auto or if set to manual see if you can assign a non-conflicting irq

    also check the bios settings for plug& play OS aware...
    it should be set to yes (but if it already is...try "no" )
    philo, Dec 17, 2003
  4. John Davis

    Harrison Guest

    What's the conflict?

    Harrison, Dec 18, 2003
  5. John Davis

    Mellowed Guest

    Somebody correct me on this, but, doesn't Win 98 have to be Win 98 SP1
    or something like that to recognize USB?

    :
    Mellowed, Dec 18, 2003
  6. John Davis

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:22:23 -0800, "Mellowed" <> wrote:

    |> Somebody correct me on this, but, doesn't Win 98 have to be Win 98 SP1
    |> or something like that to recognize USB?

    No. NT needed SP1 or 2 for usb support, 95 came out with a version supporting
    usb (Win95_OSR25). All before Win98.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    wrote:

    > |> Somebody correct me on this, but, doesn't Win 98 have to be Win 98 SP1
    > |> or something like that to recognize USB?
    > |>

    > No. NT needed SP1 or 2 for usb support, 95 came out with a version

    supporting
    > usb (Win95_OSR25). All before Win98.

    Ahem. NT has NO native support for USB.

    There are USB drivers for specific devices, but that's from the
    manufacturers.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Dec 18, 2003
  8. John Davis

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:01:29 -0600, "Ralph Wade Phillips" <>
    wrote:

    |> Howdy!
    |>
    |> "M Mullen" <> wrote in message

    |> > No. NT needed SP1 or 2 for usb support, 95 came out with a version
    |> supporting
    |> > usb (Win95_OSR25). All before Win98.
    |>
    |> Ahem. NT has NO native support for USB.
    |>
    |> There are USB drivers for specific devices, but that's from the
    |> manufacturers.

    Maybe that was it. I know there was a problem getting them to work. I thought a
    service pack addressed the issue, Guess not.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Dec 18, 2003