    Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    advice.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 20, 2006

  2. Dick K

    Marful Guest

    I know it's not exactly what you want but if you could buy a tuner with
    built in radio - they don't cost much more.

    Marful, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion which, on the incomplete information
    in my post, would do the job.

    Unfortunately I think there might be a lot of problems with my
    actual set up. Firstly the radio in question is a fairly
    sophisticated HF receiver and I doubt that the equivalent exists
    built-in to a TV tuner. Even if it does I very much doubt that a
    communal TV aerial system will effectively receive or pass through
    signals in the HF band so the card would need a separate aerial
    input for short wave.

    Anyway I'll have a look to see if anything is available. Thanks
    again.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Dick K

    Marful Guest

    "Dick K" <

    > Thanks for the suggestion which, on the incomplete information
    > in my post, would do the job.
    >
    > Unfortunately I think there might be a lot of problems with my
    > actual set up. Firstly the radio in question is a fairly
    > sophisticated HF receiver and I doubt that the equivalent exists built-in
    > to a TV tuner. Even if it does I very much doubt that a communal TV aerial
    > system will effectively receive or pass through signals in the HF band so
    > the card would need a separate aerial
    > input for short wave.
    >
    > Anyway I'll have a look to see if anything is available. Thanks
    > again.
    >
    > Dick K

    You could buy another souncard that has multiple line in ports - I don't
    know prices but I know Creative definately have a SB with multiple line ins
    so there are probably a few out there.

    Marful, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Dick K

    Flyer Guest

    "Marful" <> wrote in message
    >I know it's not exactly what you want but if you could buy a tuner with
    >built in radio - they don't cost much more.

    it may still require a link into the sound card, The Hauppage PVR250 does,
    even with a radio ;-)
    I reckon the OP's best bet, is an external USB tuner box.

    P.

    Flyer, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Dick K

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Dick K <> wrote in news:dvmh7h$4ng$1
    @nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

    http://www.nebula-electronics.com/information/info.asp?Code=0001

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Mar 20, 2006
  7. Dick K

    Thaqalain Guest

  8. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    Marful wrote:
    > "Dick K" <
    >
    >> Thanks for the suggestion which, on the incomplete information
    >> in my post, would do the job.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I think there might be a lot of problems with my
    >> actual set up. Firstly the radio in question is a fairly
    >> sophisticated HF receiver and I doubt that the equivalent exists built-in
    >> to a TV tuner. Even if it does I very much doubt that a communal TV aerial
    >> system will effectively receive or pass through signals in the HF band so
    >> the card would need a separate aerial
    >> input for short wave.
    >>
    >> Anyway I'll have a look to see if anything is available. Thanks
    >> again.
    >>
    >> Dick K
    >>

    > You could buy another souncard that has multiple line in ports - I don't
    > know prices but I know Creative definately have a SB with multiple line ins
    > so there are probably a few out there.

    Thanks. That would work. I'll look at costs.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 20, 2006
  9. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    fred-bloggs wrote:
    > Dick K <> wrote in news:dvmh7h$4ng$1
    > @nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:
    >
    >> I'd like to add a PCI TV Tuner card to my XP box but several
    >> of the models I've looked at seem to require an external
    >> connection from an audio output socket, via a lead, to line-in
    >> on a sound card. However my sound card line-in is already used
    >> for radio input.
    >>
    >> So, if they exist, I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
    >> any PCI tuner cards (for use in the UK) which don't require
    >> dedicated connection to sound card line-in.
    >>
    >> If no suitable cards are available, are there any sensible
    >> workarounds, or should I be looking at USB tuners?
    >>
    >> Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    >> advice.
    >>

    > http://www.nebula-electronics.com/information/info.asp?Code=0001

    Thank you. That would do the job as well. Nice to have some options.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 20, 2006
  10. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    Dick K, Mar 20, 2006
  11. "Dick K" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to add a PCI TV Tuner card to my XP box but several
    > of the models I've looked at seem to require an external
    > connection from an audio output socket, via a lead, to line-in
    > on a sound card. However my sound card line-in is already used
    > for radio input.
    >
    > So, if they exist, I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
    > any PCI tuner cards (for use in the UK) which don't require
    > dedicated connection to sound card line-in.
    >
    > If no suitable cards are available, are there any sensible
    > workarounds, or should I be looking at USB tuners?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    > advice.

    If you get a digital TV card they don't need a seperate sound input as they
    act like a network adapter as far as the computer is concerned and so all
    the data goes through the PCI bus including the sound. A digital card will
    also let you view all the Freeview channels.

    The Hauppauge Nova-t is the cheapest one around. I think you can pick one
    up for just over £40. The Nebula DigiTV is supposed to be a better card but
    costs quite a bit more.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Mar 21, 2006
  12. Dick K

    Sharky Guest

    Dick K wrote:
    > I'd like to add a PCI TV Tuner card to my XP box but several
    > of the models I've looked at seem to require an external
    > connection from an audio output socket, via a lead, to line-in
    > on a sound card. However my sound card line-in is already used
    > for radio input.
    >
    > So, if they exist, I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
    > any PCI tuner cards (for use in the UK) which don't require
    > dedicated connection to sound card line-in.
    >
    > If no suitable cards are available, are there any sensible
    > workarounds, or should I be looking at USB tuners?
    >
    > Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    > advice.
    >
    > Dick K

    Just bought a AVerTV Hybrid+Fm
    A touch pricy at £70 (from a local shop, no doubt much cheaper on line).
    Does what you want, as well as composite, s video, ant , fm radio,
    remote control.
    Very nice.

    Sharky, Mar 21, 2006
  13. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "Dick K" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to add a PCI TV Tuner card to my XP box but several
    >> of the models I've looked at seem to require an external
    >> connection from an audio output socket, via a lead, to line-in
    >> on a sound card. However my sound card line-in is already used
    >> for radio input.
    >>
    >> So, if they exist, I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
    >> any PCI tuner cards (for use in the UK) which don't require
    >> dedicated connection to sound card line-in.
    >>
    >> If no suitable cards are available, are there any sensible
    >> workarounds, or should I be looking at USB tuners?
    >>
    >> Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    >> advice.
    >>

    > If you get a digital TV card they don't need a seperate sound input as they
    > act like a network adapter as far as the computer is concerned and so all
    > the data goes through the PCI bus including the sound. A digital card will
    > also let you view all the Freeview channels.
    >
    > The Hauppauge Nova-t is the cheapest one around. I think you can pick one
    > up for just over £40. The Nebula DigiTV is supposed to be a better card but
    > costs quite a bit more.
    >
    > ss.

    Many thanks. As well as identifying options that explains what I
    should have been looking for in the first place, and why. Very
    helpful.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 21, 2006
  14. Dick K

    Dick K Guest

    Sharky wrote:
    > Dick K wrote:
    >> I'd like to add a PCI TV Tuner card to my XP box but several
    >> of the models I've looked at seem to require an external
    >> connection from an audio output socket, via a lead, to line-in
    >> on a sound card. However my sound card line-in is already used
    >> for radio input.
    >>
    >> So, if they exist, I'd be grateful if anyone could identify
    >> any PCI tuner cards (for use in the UK) which don't require
    >> dedicated connection to sound card line-in.
    >>
    >> If no suitable cards are available, are there any sensible
    >> workarounds, or should I be looking at USB tuners?
    >>
    >> Sorry if this is a naive inquiry. Thanks in advance for any
    >> advice.
    >>
    >> Dick K

    > Just bought a AVerTV Hybrid+Fm
    > A touch pricy at £70 (from a local shop, no doubt much cheaper on line).
    > Does what you want, as well as composite, s video, ant , fm radio,
    > remote control.
    > Very nice.

    Another good option. Thanks.

    Dick K

    Dick K, Mar 21, 2006
  15. Dick K

    ClueLess Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 02:04:11 +0000, Sharky <> wrote:

    >Just bought a AVerTV Hybrid+Fm
    >A touch pricy at £70 (from a local shop, no doubt much cheaper on line).
    >Does what you want, as well as composite, s video, ant , fm radio,
    >remote control.

    I bought a much cheaper AVERTV GO 007 FM plus which has everything
    including its own sound input socket. No need to connect to the sound
    card.

    It has however only s-video input and not composite so you will need a
    special cable.

    ClueLess

    ClueLess, Mar 24, 2006