    process, I changed it to another slot and everything works fine. Out of
    curiosity I'm wondering why that might be.

    Newfdog
    Newfdog, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Newfdog

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Newfdog" <> wrote in message
    news:zIeBd.41777$...
    > Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my computer.
    > When I put it one slot the computer would lock up during the boot process,
    > I changed it to another slot and everything works fine. Out of curiosity
    > I'm wondering why that might be.
    >
    > Newfdog

    It sometimes depends on your OS and how it allocates resources and sometimes
    it's just a hardware incompatibility. Changing slots on problem devices is
    one of the oldest fixes in the book.
    Michael-NC, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Newfdog

    HF Guest

    Do you have to have a reason for everything- some things are and some things
    are not.Read about conflicts.

    HF, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Newfdog

    Michael-NC Guest

    "HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Do you have to have a reason for everything- some things are and some
    > things
    > are not.Read about conflicts.

    Of course he needs a reason. What if there were no such things as conflicts
    and perhaps he had a faulty slot in his MB!

    Question everything!

    Michael-NC, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Newfdog

    Thor Guest

    Likely resource conflict. Normally PCI cards are supposed to share resources
    and coexist in blissful happiness, but reality is that sometimes the card
    wishes to use resources that another device simply does not share very well.

    Thor, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Newfdog

    Newfdog Guest

    HF wrote:
    > Do you have to have a reason for everything- some things are and some things
    > are not.Read about conflicts.
    > "Newfdog" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my computer.
    >>When I put it one slot the computer would lock up during the boot
    >>process, I changed it to another slot and everything works fine. Out of
    >>curiosity I'm wondering why that might be.
    >>
    >>Newfdog

    IDIOT
    Newfdog, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Newfdog

    Newfdog Guest

    Michael-NC wrote:
    > "Newfdog" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my
    >> computer. When I put it one slot the computer would lock up during the
    >> boot process, I changed it to another slot and everything works fine.
    >> Out of curiosity I'm wondering why that might be.
    >>
    >> Newfdog

    > It sometimes depends on your OS and how it allocates resources and
    > sometimes it's just a hardware incompatibility. Changing slots on
    > problem devices is one of the oldest fixes in the book.

    Hey Micheal... I knew that this sometimes worked, just wondering why.
    thanks

    Newfdog
    Newfdog, Dec 31, 2004
  8. Newfdog

    Newfdog Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > Likely resource conflict. Normally PCI cards are supposed to share resources
    > and coexist in blissful happiness, but reality is that sometimes the card
    > wishes to use resources that another device simply does not share very well.
    >
    > ..
    > "Newfdog" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my computer.
    >>When I put it one slot the computer would lock up during the boot process,
    >>I changed it to another slot and everything works fine. Out of curiosity
    >>I'm wondering why that might be.
    >>
    >>Newfdog

    Thanks for the answer Thor.

    Newfdog
    Newfdog, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Newfdog

    WebWalker Guest

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:30:38 -0330, Newfdog
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my computer.
    >When I put it one slot the computer would lock up during the boot
    >process, I changed it to another slot and everything works fine. Out of
    >curiosity I'm wondering why that might be.

    Possibly conflict of IRQ ...

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, Jan 1, 2005
  10. Newfdog

    Trent© Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hi all..... I just finished installing a new audio card in my computer.
    >When I put it one slot

    Which number slot?

    >the computer would lock up during the boot
    >process, I changed it to another slot

    Which number slot?

    >and everything works fine. Out of
    >curiosity I'm wondering why that might be.

    BIOS setting.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 1, 2005