pci simple communcaitions contoller??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by griff, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. griff

    griff Guest

    I cant get my lucent 56k pci internal modem to connect to the net. I always
    get error 680- no dialtone.

    I have played around with the settings tried changing the driver etc but it
    doesn't make a difference. Tried swapping the phone cable around at the back
    as well from telephone input to line input.

    I looked under the device manager and noticed one thing which might be
    stopping it from working but I'm not sure, and that's that the pci
    communications controller doesn't appear to be installed properly.

    Could this be stopping my modem from working properly?

    I'm running windows xp pro, I've got a Via VT motherboard and using this
    modem with the Xp driver.

    http://www.hhosting.co.uk/modtech/support/AGPCIsupp1.htm

    any ideas?

    griff, Apr 28, 2004

  2. griff

    Sckott Guest

    The first thing I would do is check the post-up if you could. Make
    sure that in the 2nd BIOS screen during boot-up, if you have the
    ability of looking at it, see if your modem is showing up under plug
    and play devices.

    Truthfully though, in many cases, you're much better off buying a
    simple crappy PCI modem ($8-12 in most cases, maybe $24) and replacing
    the card. You might find, although the modem looks fine, the
    controller chip ON the card may be no good.

    Many people in IT have 20-30 controller-less modems like yours in
    their junk drawer like spare cuttlery.

    Easiest thing to do is change the modem for now. Betcha a new modem
    makes everything work fine and that's what your problem was - A bad
    modem that cannot control or communicate with the PCI bus properly.

    Toss, and go on with life.

    -Sckott

    Sckott, Apr 28, 2004

  3. griff

    Sckott Guest

    I don't have a clue? You make me laugh.

    Because at least I provide an idea rather than act like a 12 year old
    little girl.

    Why not provide another idea than just spout garbage? Heck, if I have
    no clue, let's see a better idea for now! Why futz with a cheap LT
    modem if it's bad?

    Replace with a better modem? Might as well as get broadband too. You
    would rather tell someone to spend $100 on a Rockwell external?

    $10 modem that works is better than most of your afternoon sunk trying
    to play footsie with a PCI bridge that's got a 'problem'? Not with
    itself, but with the modem that's more often the problem.

    Have a nice day, genius.

    -Sckott

    Sckott, Apr 28, 2004
  4. On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:48:57 GMT, Sckott <> wrote:

    >The first thing I would do is check the post-up if you could. Make
    >sure that in the 2nd BIOS screen during boot-up, if you have the
    >ability of looking at it, see if your modem is showing up under plug
    >and play devices.
    >

    >Truthfully though, in many cases, you're much better off buying a
    >simple crappy PCI modem ($8-12 in most cases, maybe $24) and replacing
    >the card. You might find, although the modem looks fine, the
    >controller chip ON the card may be no good.
    >
    >Many people in IT have 20-30 controller-less modems like yours in
    >their junk drawer like spare cuttlery.
    >
    >Easiest thing to do is change the modem for now. Betcha a new modem
    >makes everything work fine and that's what your problem was - A bad
    >modem that cannot control or communicate with the PCI bus properly.
    >
    >Toss, and go on with life.
    >
    >-Sckott

    Or...boot to Safe Mode and uninstall the modem driver(s) in Device
    Manager, then restart Windows. That simple act will work wonders a lot
    of the time.

    What OS, by the way?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 28, 2004
  5. griff

    MF Guest

    this should be on one of the cds that came with your computer. It's often
    needed with SiS and VIA chipsets and one of the few things mfrs seem not to
    have not supplied to microsoft for incorporation into windows. i've got a
    computer like that, and I've installed it four times, but, hate to admit it,
    advanced age or advanced vodka have caused me to forget which driver i
    installed to solve the prob. get your cds and look for the modem drivers or
    chipset drivers. maybe even agp drivers, because a year or two ago, chipset
    makers were identifying their chipsets as agp.

    and--------------by the way--------- check the mfgr's website, along with
    the mb and chipset mfgrs website.

    good luck
    Mike