    Matthew Guest

    I am thinking about getting new graphics card and I was wondering whether PCI or AGP cards have better performance/ value. My current card is on an AGP port. I could use that port or a PCI one for the new card.

    I'm running Windows XP, 1.7 GHZ P4 Processor 512 MB RAM
    Matthew, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Matthew

    Adam Steiner Guest

    Vast majority of cases, AGP.

    Adam Steiner, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    How the heck did you get here with that question???

    AGP of course!!!

    What do you want to achieve with your graphic card upgrade?

    Michael-NC, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > How the heck did you get here with that question???
    > AGP of course!!!

    Ya, from what I've heard AGP is better, but I'm wondering exactly why it is
    so much better.
    Sorry, I really don't know very much about this issue.
    Matthew, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Matthew

    Brad Griffis Guest

    Video cards require that a lot of data get shuffled around. Unfortunately
    PCI is a 33 MHz interface which limits the amount of data that can be moved.
    The AGP interface was designed to be a faster interface than PCI so that the
    data could be moved appropriately. I believe that when you read the specs
    for a "4x" AGP card they are referring to it being four times faster than a
    PCI interface. (Someone please correct me if that's not right.)

    Check your motherboard specs against that of the video card you're looking
    at to make sure they're compatible. I believe some of the older 1x or 2x
    cards use a different voltage than the newer 4x and 8x cards.

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Matthew

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Brad Griffis" <> wrote in

    > Video cards require that a lot of data get shuffled around.
    > Unfortunately PCI is a 33 MHz interface which limits the amount of
    > data that can be moved. The AGP interface was designed to be a faster
    > interface than PCI so that the data could be moved appropriately. I
    > believe that when you read the specs for a "4x" AGP card they are
    > referring to it being four times faster than a PCI interface.
    > (Someone please correct me if that's not right.)

    PCI is 33mhz and shared with all PCI, ISA, USB, and often times hard
    drives. That is ~133MB/sec of data transfer possible. AGP 1x operates at
    66mhz and does nothing but graphics. 4x gives 4x the bandwith of AGP 1x,
    though most graphics cards on the market don't benefit from anything over
    2x to 4x.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Aug 10, 2004
  7. Matthew

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:49:34 -0600, "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote:

    >"Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    >> How the heck did you get here with that question???
    >> AGP of course!!!

    >Ya, from what I've heard AGP is better, but I'm wondering exactly why it is
    >so much better.

    its 10 times faster
    derek / nul, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Thank you for the info. It is very helpful

    Matthew, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    > Thank you for the info. It is very helpful

    If you post what it is want to accomplish with your video upgrade and what
    type of mainboard you have, along with your current video adapter, I'm sure
    you'll get some informed opinions of what video card to upgrade to.
    Michael-NC, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Matthew, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    Go to www.download.com and search for Belark Advisor, aida 32 or SiSoft
    Sandra. Anyone should give you a detailed report on your machines innards.

    If you want to play the latest games, I'd suggest at least an ATI 9600 card
    or at least a nVidia 5700 card. Get the 128MB version of either. Your ram is
    OK at 512 but your CPU speed will hold you back a bit on the very latest
    games but you should still be able to get playable framerates with the
    graphics options turned down to low on the games.

    Make sure you first remove your current drivers before installing the new
    card and it would be a good idea to check for the latest version of your
    motherboard drivers and install the latest version of Direct X as well.

    Post back if you need more assistance.

    Michael-NC, Aug 11, 2004
  12. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Here's the system info:

    Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) Compaq C01BDABB
    System Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    Asset Tag: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    Chassis Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compaq 077Ch
    Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
    BIOS: Compaq 686Y2 v3.04 07/29/2002
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    80.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    37.76 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    Compaq DVD-ROM SD-M1612 [CD-ROM drive]
    LG CD-RW CED-8120B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

    Maxtor 4D080H4 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n D406WSGE, rev
    DAH017K0, SMART Status: Healthy
    photosmart printer card reader (HPH11) [Hard drive] -- drive 1 512
    Megabytes Installed Memory

    Slot 'XMM1' has 256 MB (serial number F3343F02)
    Slot 'XMM2' has 256 MB (serial number D0343F02)
    Slot 'XMM3' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (on drive 0) 62.21 GB 29.68 GB free
    d: (on drive 0) 17.80 GB 8.08 GB free

    How much money should I spend on a G-card? Is there a point where buying a
    more expensive card wouldn't imporve the peoformance on my computer because
    of the Processor/Motherboard I have? The AGP port I have now is at least AGP
    2.0 compatible.
    Matthew, Aug 11, 2004
  13. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    > Here's the system info:
    >
    > Operating System System Model
    > Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 (build 2600) Compaq

    C01BDABB
    > System Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    > Asset Tag: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    > Chassis Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    > Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    > 1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    > 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Compaq 077Ch
    > Serial Number: 3D1BJXDWH13A
    > Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
    > BIOS: Compaq 686Y2 v3.04 07/29/2002
    > Drives Memory Modules c,d
    > 80.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    > 37.76 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    >
    > Compaq DVD-ROM SD-M1612 [CD-ROM drive]
    > LG CD-RW CED-8120B [CD-ROM drive]
    > 3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
    >
    > Maxtor 4D080H4 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n D406WSGE, rev
    > DAH017K0, SMART Status: Healthy
    > photosmart printer card reader (HPH11) [Hard drive] -- drive 1 512
    > Megabytes Installed Memory
    >
    > Slot 'XMM1' has 256 MB (serial number F3343F02)
    > Slot 'XMM2' has 256 MB (serial number D0343F02)
    > Slot 'XMM3' is Empty
    > Local Drive Volumes
    >
    > c: (on drive 0) 62.21 GB 29.68 GB free
    > d: (on drive 0) 17.80 GB 8.08 GB free
    >

    > How much money should I spend on a G-card? Is there a point where buying a
    > more expensive card wouldn't imporve the peoformance on my computer

    because
    > of the Processor/Motherboard I have? The AGP port I have now is at least

    AGP
    > 2.0 compatible.

    That log doesn't list your current video card so it's hard to judge this. An
    ATI 9600 Pro goes for around 120.00. That should be a decent upgrade for
    what you have in there now.

    Try www.newegg.com They also have a refurbed ATI 9600 Pro card for 86.00 at
    the moment.

    Even if newegg doesn't have the lowest price, they'll usually be real close
    to it and their service can not be matched.
    Michael-NC, Aug 12, 2004
  14. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    what about ATI's 128 MB 9200 card?

    Matthew, Aug 14, 2004
  15. Matthew

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in

    > Try www.newegg.com They also have a refurbed ATI 9600 Pro card for
    > 86.00 at the moment.
    >
    > Even if newegg doesn't have the lowest price, they'll usually be real
    > close to it and their service can not be matched.

    I entirely agree. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars to know I'm
    buying from NewEgg. NewEgg is easily my favorite company to shop from. I
    am still trying to convince people to buy me Newegg gift certs for
    holidays!

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 14, 2004
  16. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    So why is newegg so good?

    Matthew, Aug 14, 2004
  17. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    > So why is newegg so good?

    Price, delivery and service. If you have to RMA something, they don't give a
    problem. They are simply the best online hardware vendor, period.

    No, the 9200 is shite, that's why I said "at least" a 9600 card.

    Michael-NC, Aug 15, 2004
  18. Matthew

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in news::

    > So why is newegg so good?

    NewEgg ships extremely fast, and even with FedEx ground service I get stuff
    from their CA warehouse to my home in NJ in 3 or 4 days. Their customer
    service simply can not be beat, and I don't worry when buying from them
    "What if it doesn't work?", because I know there will be no problem
    returning it.

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 15, 2004
  19. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    What's the difference between the 9600 Pro and the 9600 SE card?

    Matthew, Aug 15, 2004
  20. Matthew

    Michael-NC Guest

    9600SE +BENCHMARK