PCI interface or USB interface

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Dear all:

    I¡¦m plain to deploy wireless network environment in our company. As I know
    that some IP Sharing include wireless function, but I don¡¦t like that.
    Because I need RADIUS in my company, but most of those IP Sharing maybe have
    RADIUS, but can¡¦t compare with my Windows Server, such as Windows
    2000/2003.

    So I plain the use PCI interface wireless card on my Windows server, or use
    USB interface wireless card on my Windows server. But I don¡¦t know which
    one is better, and which one can work?

    Many thanks for your reply!

    David, Sep 14, 2004

  2. David

    Jeff Durham Guest

    USB cards work well. The difference between a PCI and a USB card might be
    the performance. I do not recall the speeds of USB, but USB 2.0 is faster
    than USB 1.1. As long as these are faster than the wireless network you are
    using, you should not notice any difference. "b" wireless is 11 mbps and
    "g" wireless is 54 mbps.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 14, 2004

  3. David

    Pavel A. Guest

    If you are a company, using a professional WLAN installation service is highly recomended.
    On fixed (not mobile) servers you want only PCI or in worst case, cardbus.
    Not USB. Better, connect it to the WLAN AP over ethernet.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Sep 15, 2004
  4. David

    David Guest