PCI in newer computers: 3 in one?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    I don't have one of these right in front of me, so I might not be doing the
    best job of describing it...

    On some of these newer factory-released computers, Dell, et. al., I've seen
    what appears to be 2 or 3 PCI cards attached to some sort of "master" PCI
    slot, which is integrated with the mobo.

    Does anyone know if this configuration has a name? Is it actully some sort
    of new standard?

    I'm wary to recommend any such computer to any of my customers. If
    something goes wrong with the "master" slot, you've lost all of your PCI
    capability. And, I think that if I were speaking with a salesperson, and
    was asking them about this, they might not even know what the hell I was
    talking about.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks, in advance.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 17, 2006

  2. smackedass

    MceRx0 Guest

    Sounds like some type of PCI riser board from what you're describing.
    It's the integrated part of what you're describing that throws me off.

    I'm sure someone here knows exactly what you're talking about.

    MceRx0, Feb 17, 2006

  3. smackedass

    J. Clarke Guest

    smackedass wrote:

    > Hello again,
    >
    > I don't have one of these right in front of me, so I might not be doing
    > the best job of describing it...
    >
    > On some of these newer factory-released computers, Dell, et. al., I've
    > seen what appears to be 2 or 3 PCI cards attached to some sort of "master"
    > PCI slot, which is integrated with the mobo.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this configuration has a name? Is it actully some
    > sort of new standard?
    >
    > I'm wary to recommend any such computer to any of my customers. If
    > something goes wrong with the "master" slot, you've lost all of your PCI
    > capability. And, I think that if I were speaking with a salesperson, and
    > was asking them about this, they might not even know what the hell I was
    > talking about.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Sounds like a riser card, commonplace in low profile machines. Wouldn't
    worry about the slot failing--never had a PCI slot fail where the
    motherboard wasn't toast anyway. While I'm sure it can happen it's a very,
    very low probability failure mode.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    J. Clarke, Feb 17, 2006
  4. smackedass

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:20:56 -0500, MceRx0
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds like some type of PCI riser board from what you're describing.
    >It's the integrated part of what you're describing that throws me off.
    >
    >I'm sure someone here knows exactly what you're talking about.

    A riser card :)

    >On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:14:45 GMT, "smackedass"
    ><> wrote:

    >>On some of these newer factory-released computers, Dell, et. al., I've seen
    >>what appears to be 2 or 3 PCI cards attached to some sort of "master" PCI
    >>slot, which is integrated with the mobo.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if this configuration has a name? Is it actully some sort
    >>of new standard?

    No. No standard at all. The connectors used look like PCI and are
    almost the same as PCI. But that's only because this is about the
    only form factor that is readily available to a PC designer.

    Hint:
    Take a close look at the way the connectors are keyed.
    You'll see that you cannot connect a real PCI card --in any way--
    to the motherbord's riser socket.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Feb 17, 2006
  5. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Thank you all for replying. You've confirmed what I was inclined to
    believe.

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 18, 2006