    will it mean moving away from agp cards in the future? I'm looking to
    buy a new computer soon and wonder if the normal pci slot will become
    obsolete.

    CGott, Aug 11, 2004

  2. CGott

    JK Guest

    It might, perhaps in 3-5 years? Buy the new PC now, then worry about
    PCI Express for the pc after this one.

    JK, Aug 11, 2004

  3. CGott

    Thor Guest

    "JK" <> wrote in message
    > It might, perhaps in 3-5 years? Buy the new PC now, then worry about
    > PCI Express for the pc after this one.

    PCI Express will be replacing AGP quicker than 3-5 years. I'd say that well
    within 2 years from now, it will be damn hard to find an AGP card on the
    market that isn't old leftover stock.

    Thor, Aug 11, 2004
  4. CGott

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > PCI Express will be replacing AGP quicker than 3-5 years. I'd say that
    > well within 2 years from now, it will be damn hard to find an AGP card
    > on the market that isn't old leftover stock.

    I bet AGP cards will be around for a while, the same way we still have PCI
    graphics cards based on the Radeon 9600 and FX5200 and stuff. The
    mainstream market will be PCI-X though, for sure.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 11, 2004
  5. CGott

    Michael-NC Guest

    Right now, there's no performance difference between PCI Express and AGP,
    that'll happen later. Same thing with SATA and PATA connectors for hard
    drives. SATA will eventually use the added bandwidth but the key word is
    "eventually."

    I'd buy a AGP card without hesitation if I wanted or needed a upgrade.

    Michael-NC, Aug 11, 2004
  6. CGott

    Thor Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > Right now, there's no performance difference between PCI Express and AGP,
    > that'll happen later. Same thing with SATA and PATA connectors for hard
    > drives. SATA will eventually use the added bandwidth but the key word is
    > "eventually."

    Some S-ATA drives are advantageous right now. If you get one of the new
    S-ATA drives that uses a pure S-ATA interface rather than just an adapted
    P-ATA interface, then you have a drive that supports native command queing,
    and the performance is better overall.

    Thor, Aug 11, 2004
  7. CGott

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael-NC" <> wrote in message
    > > Right now, there's no performance difference between PCI Express and

    AGP,
    > > that'll happen later. Same thing with SATA and PATA connectors for hard
    > > drives. SATA will eventually use the added bandwidth but the key word is
    > > "eventually."

    > Some S-ATA drives are advantageous right now. If you get one of the new
    > S-ATA drives that uses a pure S-ATA interface rather than just an adapted
    > P-ATA interface, then you have a drive that supports native command

    queing,
    > and the performance is better overall.

    You still need a controller that has NCQ built in and these drives and
    motherboards are just appearing mainstream now. The point remains, SATA has
    been out for quite some time and is just now starting to show promise, it'll
    be the same for PCI Express. Not until the next generation of GPU's _and_
    games that will use more bandwidth than the current AGP spec and I'd say you
    may be right about it taking 2 years before there may be a clear performance
    advantage.

    Michael-NC, Aug 11, 2004