    Vista with 1gb RAM. I am thinking about either 128 or 256 video cards.
    If there are any suggestions as to specific models I would appreciate
    any input

    Tim Jones, Apr 14, 2007

  2. Tim Jones

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:46:16 -0400, Tim Jones wrote:

    >OK, so I am confused. Does the PCI-E standard require sharing system
    >memory for video? That is, on a plug-in card, not an onboard video
    >chipset. Or is the sharing scheme employed only on the Hyper Memory

    Do you mean chipset or do you mean a) Video using shared system RAM or
    b) Having 256/512MB on a video card to stop Vista using (a)?

    >and Turbo Cache versions of the cards.

    Don't know.

    >I am looking for an upgrade from onboard video but I am not a gamer,
    >just trying to free up as much system memory as possible as I have
    >Vista with 1gb RAM. I am thinking about either 128 or 256 video cards.

    Not the 128 then, unless you turn off Aero and tune the settings for
    less video RAM.

    My Vista Ultimate / Nvidia 128MB FX5500 / System 1.5GB RAM, says the
    video memory is 512MB, but it grabs 384MB from the 1.5GB. Reducing the
    system RAM.

    >If there are any suggestions as to specific models I would appreciate
    >any input

    Me

    why?, Apr 14, 2007

  3. Tim Jones

    WhzzKdd Guest

    No. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-Express
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperMemory
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocache

    > That is, on a plug-in card, not an onboard video
    > chipset. Or is the sharing scheme employed only on the Hyper Memory
    > and Turbo Cache versions of the cards.

    Correct. Hyper Memory is an ATI "feature" that is used to reduce cost of the
    video card by having some memory on the card, but "borrowing" memory from
    system RAM when it needs more. I have that in my laptop. It is NOT my
    favorite feature. HyperCache is pretty much the same thing, but the nVidia
    version.

    > I am looking for an upgrade from onboard video but I am not a gamer,
    > just trying to free up as much system memory as possible as I have
    > Vista with 1gb RAM. I am thinking about either 128 or 256 video cards.
    > If there are any suggestions as to specific models I would appreciate
    > any input

    For my desktop, I put in a card with nVidia 7600GT chipset and 256 RAM (real
    RAM - no HyperCache) and it made a world of difference with Vista. For the
    last few years I've preferred nVidia, although obviously ATI is also a good
    brand.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 15, 2007