    and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.

    Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA
    The Biker, Aug 4, 2007

  2. The Biker

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    "The Biker" <> wrote in message
    news:46b42d3c$...
    >A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    > computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    > PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    >
    > The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    > address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    > one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    > computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    > properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    > cable is disconnected.
    >
    > I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    > and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    > PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.
    >
    > Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    What OS is the older computer running?

    What are your Network Configuration Settings?

    Are you using DHCP?

    Do you have a Firewall running on the computer?

    Have you tried connecting the older computer to your cable modem?
    Mickey Mouse, Aug 4, 2007

  3. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Mickey Mouse" <> wrote in message
    > "The Biker" <> wrote in message
    >
    > What OS is the older computer running?

    Both are running XP Pro

    > What are your Network Configuration Settings?

    The PCI ethernet card in the client (old) computer is set to obtain
    an IP address automatically.
    The host has its cable internet connection on a lan using the onboard
    network port and I've installed another PCI ethernet card for the
    connection to the client pc.

    > Are you using DHCP? Yes
    >
    > Do you have a Firewall running on the computer? Yes but I disabled

    the firewalls on both computers and the problem still exists.

    > Have you tried connecting the older computer to your cable modem?

    Yes and it tries to connect to Clearnet but cant even with the static
    ip address installed. Perhaps the problem is in that (old) pc.

    The Biker, Aug 4, 2007
  4. The Biker

    Richard Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    > computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    > PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    >
    > The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    > address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    > one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    > computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    > properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    > cable is disconnected.
    >
    > I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    > and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    > PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.
    >
    > Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg ones do.

    Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?
    Richard, Aug 4, 2007
  5. Richard wrote:
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    >> computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    >> PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    >>
    >> The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    >> address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    >> one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    >> computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    >> properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    >> cable is disconnected.
    >>
    >> I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    >> and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    >> PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    > Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg ones do.
    >
    > Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?

    Then you'll need to play with the internet connection sharing wizard, or
    whatever it's called in XP, on both machines. This sets up NAT between the
    outside world on the NIC connected to the cable modem and your local network,
    which probably uses addresses in the range 192.168.x.x, on the second NIC.

    It's best to use a static configuration on the cable modem, most of them have
    DHCP switched off on local port.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 4, 2007
  6. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    >> computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    >> PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    >>
    >> The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    >> address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    >> one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    >> computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    >> properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    >> cable is disconnected.
    >>
    >> I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    >> and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    >> PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    > Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg ones do.
    >
    > Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?

    Yes Richard, the cable works ok from the main pc to the cable modem.
    The Biker, Aug 4, 2007
  7. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:
    >> The Biker wrote:
    >>> A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    >>> computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    >>> PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    >>>
    >>> The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    >>> address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    >>> one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    >>> computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    >>> properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    >>> cable is disconnected.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    >>> and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in each
    >>> PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots must be ok.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    >> Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg ones do.
    >>
    >> Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?

    > Then you'll need to play with the internet connection sharing wizard, or
    > whatever it's called in XP, on both machines. This sets up NAT between the
    > outside world on the NIC connected to the cable modem and your local network,
    > which probably uses addresses in the range 192.168.x.x, on the second NIC.
    >
    > It's best to use a static configuration on the cable modem, most of them have
    > DHCP switched off on local port.

    My Clearnet cable uses a static ip address and the DHCP is enabled on the
    local lan. The client computer tries to get an ip address from the host and
    succeeds but still says there's a cable unplugged and won't get a webpage.
    The Biker, Aug 4, 2007
  8. The Biker wrote:
    > "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg ones do.
    >>>
    >>> Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?

    >> Then you'll need to play with the internet connection sharing wizard, or
    >> whatever it's called in XP, on both machines. This sets up NAT between the
    >> outside world on the NIC connected to the cable modem and your local network,
    >> which probably uses addresses in the range 192.168.x.x, on the second NIC.
    >>
    >> It's best to use a static configuration on the cable modem, most of them have
    >> DHCP switched off on local port.

    > My Clearnet cable uses a static ip address and the DHCP is enabled on the
    > local lan. The client computer tries to get an ip address from the host and
    > succeeds but still says there's a cable unplugged and won't get a webpage.

    As Richard says, you'll need a crossover cable (or a switch or hub) between the
    two computers.
    Mark Robinson, Aug 5, 2007
  9. The Biker

    > The Biker wrote:
    >> "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message

    >>> Then you'll need to play with the internet connection sharing wizard, or
    >>> whatever it's called in XP, on both machines. This sets up NAT between the
    >>> outside world on the NIC connected to the cable modem and your local
    >>> network, which probably uses addresses in the range 192.168.x.x, on the
    >>> second NIC.
    >>>
    >>> It's best to use a static configuration on the cable modem, most of them
    >>> have DHCP switched off on local port.

    >> My Clearnet cable uses a static ip address and the DHCP is enabled on the
    >> local lan. The client computer tries to get an ip address from the host and
    >> succeeds but still says there's a cable unplugged and won't get a webpage.

    > As Richard says, you'll need a crossover cable (or a switch or hub) between
    > the two computers.

    Thankyou Mark I've been trying to use an ethernet cable between both adapters
    without a hub, but will try it with a hub.
    The Biker, Aug 5, 2007
  10. The Biker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > The Biker wrote:
    > > > A few days ago I decided to connect my second much older
    > > > computer, which has an FIC AZ11 mobo to my P4 using two
    > > > PCI network cards which I know to be in working order.
    > > >
    > > > The P4 will connect to my cable modem and look for an IP
    > > > address, with either of the two ethernet cards but when I put
    > > > one or other of the cards into any of the 5 PCI slots in the old
    > > > computer the network card is found and seems to be working
    > > > properly except that there's an error message saying a network
    > > > cable is disconnected.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried a dialup modem in each of the PCI slots and it installs
    > > > and connects to Clearnet. I've also tried a Winfast TV card in
    > > > each PCI slot and that installs ok and works so the PCI slots
    > > > must be ok. Can someone suggest what I might be doing wrong. TIA

    > > Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg
    > > ones do. Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?
    > >

    > Yes Richard, the cable works ok from the main pc to the cable modem.

    That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite in fact.

    To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable (crossover)
    than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).

    Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from Warehouse
    Stationery.
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 7, 2007
  11. In message <46b7d116$>, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite in
    > fact.

    You should be able to determine that visually. Place the RJ45 connectors on
    the two ends side by side, and see if the colours on the individual wires
    follow the same order in both. Yes => not crossover, no => it's a
    crossover.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 7, 2007
  12. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >> > Have you checked if the cards need a crossover cable? Most 100 meg
    >> > ones do. Checked the cable out between 2 other devices?
    >> >

    >> Yes Richard, the cable works ok from the main pc to the cable modem.

    > That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite in
    > fact.
    >
    > To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable (crossover)
    > than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).
    >
    > Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from
    > Warehouse Stationery.
    > --
    > TTFN.
    >
    > Shaun.
    >
    >Hi Shaun, thanks for that.

    I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.
    The Biker, Aug 8, 2007
  13. The Biker

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "The Biker" <> wrote in news:46b98414$:

    > I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    > but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    > ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    > there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    > the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    > on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    Live Linux CD like Knoppix been tried already, to eliminate a windows OS
    problem?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Aug 8, 2007
  14. The Biker

    Jerry Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> The Biker wrote:
    >>> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yes Richard, the cable works ok from the main pc to the cable modem.

    >> That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite in
    >> fact.
    >>
    >> To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable (crossover)
    >> than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).
    >>
    >> Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from
    >> Warehouse Stationery.
    >> --
    >> TTFN.
    >>
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> Hi Shaun, thanks for that.

    > I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    > but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    > ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    > there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    > the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    > on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    Seems obvious, but it isn't disabled in the Network Connections window
    is it? When the cable is plugged in it should say connected. If it
    says disabled, right click it and click enable.
    Jerry, Aug 8, 2007
  15. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "The Biker" <> wrote in news:46b98414$:
    >
    >> I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    >> but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    >> ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    >> there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    >> the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    >> on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    > Live Linux CD like Knoppix been tried already, to eliminate a windows OS
    > problem?
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Hi Dave, yeah I have got a Knoppix cd but haven't tried to use it
    as I'm not familiar with linux. Might give it a go.
    The Biker, Aug 8, 2007
  16. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    "Jerry" <> wrote in message
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite in
    >>> fact.
    >>>
    >>> To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable
    >>> (crossover) than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).
    >>>
    >>> Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from
    >>> Warehouse Stationery.
    >>> --
    >>> TTFN.
    >>>
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> Hi Shaun, thanks for that.

    >> I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    >> but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    >> ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    >> there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    >> the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    >> on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    > Seems obvious, but it isn't disabled in the Network Connections window is
    > it? When the cable is plugged in it should say connected. If it says
    > disabled, right click it and click enable.

    Hi Jerry, when the cable is plugged in the network is now connected. The
    error message only happens when the pc is first turned on now, but
    the computer still wont connect to the internet. The main computer
    runs fine and goes on the net whether or not the lan cable is plugged in
    which is an improvement as before it wouldnt go on the net if the cable
    was plugged in.
    The Biker, Aug 8, 2007
  17. The Biker

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Biker wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > > The Biker wrote:
    > > > "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yes Richard, the cable works ok from the main pc to the cable
    > > > modem.

    > > That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite
    > > in fact.
    > >
    > > To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable
    > > (crossover) than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).
    > >
    > > Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from
    > > Warehouse Stationery.
    > > --
    > > TTFN.
    > >
    > > Shaun.
    > >
    > > Hi Shaun, thanks for that.

    > I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    > but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    > ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    > there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    > the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    > on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    Hi there,

    I don't remember the first part of this thread very well, you're plugging
    the crossover into one of two ethernet ports on your main machine? That
    should work just fine if you re-setup the network using the 'wizard' on the
    main PC (with the second plugged into it) and enable internet sharing and
    DHCP (might happen automatically, no need for static IP then). Then resetup
    the network on the second and tell it to use an existing shared internet
    connect (or similar). It works fine for me whenever I've done it.

    Good luck,
    --
    TTFN.

    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Aug 9, 2007
  18. The Biker

    The Biker Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > The Biker wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> That doesn't mean that it's a crossover cable, likely the opposite
    >>> in fact.
    >>>
    >>> To connect two PCs together you need a differently wired cable
    >>> (crossover) than to connect a PC to a modem or switch (patch).
    >>>
    >>> Crossover-patch/Patch-crossover adapters used to be available from
    >>> Warehouse Stationery.
    >>> --
    >>> TTFN.
    >>>
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> Hi Shaun, thanks for that.

    >> I found a crossover adapter and got the lan working
    >> but the old computer wont go on the net even if I put the static
    >> ip address in, and connect the pc direct to the cable modem. It says
    >> there's a network cable unplugged. I've tried it with and without
    >> the crossover adapter. Might just forget about using the net
    >> on that pc. It does connect ok through a dialup modem.

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I don't remember the first part of this thread very well, you're plugging
    > the crossover into one of two ethernet ports on your main machine? That
    > should work just fine if you re-setup the network using the 'wizard' on the
    > main PC (with the second plugged into it) and enable internet sharing and
    > DHCP (might happen automatically, no need for static IP then). Then resetup
    > the network on the second and tell it to use an existing shared internet
    > connect (or similar). It works fine for me whenever I've done it.
    >
    > Good luck,

    Thanks for the info Shaun. I just discovered that the guy who sold me
    the old pc has used a (blush) unofficial copy of the o/s which might
    be why I'm having this prob with it. I'll use powermax on it and install
    a decent copy of something like windows XP. Hopefully that will
    do the trick.
    The Biker, Aug 9, 2007
  19. The Biker wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> I don't remember the first part of this thread very well, you're
    >> plugging the crossover into one of two ethernet ports on your main
    >> machine? That should work just fine if you re-setup the network using
    >> the 'wizard' on the main PC (with the second plugged into it) and
    >> enable internet sharing and DHCP (might happen automatically, no need
    >> for static IP then). Then resetup the network on the second and tell
    >> it to use an existing shared internet connect (or similar). It works
    >> fine for me whenever I've done it.
    >>
    >> Good luck,

    > Thanks for the info Shaun. I just discovered that the guy who sold me
    > the old pc has used a (blush) unofficial copy of the o/s which might
    > be why I'm having this prob with it. I'll use powermax on it and install
    > a decent copy of something like windows XP. Hopefully that will
    > do the trick.

    This seems unlikely and whatever powermax is sounds plain dangerous.

    Have you run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard ?
    Mark Robinson, Aug 10, 2007
  20. The Biker

    > The Biker wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks for the info Shaun. I just discovered that the guy who sold me
    >> the old pc has used a (blush) unofficial copy of the o/s which might
    >> be why I'm having this prob with it. I'll use powermax on it and install
    >> a decent copy of something like windows XP. Hopefully that will
    >> do the trick.

    > This seems unlikely and whatever powermax is sounds plain dangerous.
    >
    > Have you run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard ?

    >Yes Mark I've exhausted all the usual things I know about and

    others suggested by helpful people including your good self.

    Powermax is a disk overwriting utility from Maxtor.
    The Biker, Aug 10, 2007