    which is otherwise unusable....

    Not been able to locate one so far....anyone seen one?

    regards

    thingy, Oct 19, 2009

  2. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Is there such a "beast" in NZ?
    >
    > I want really basic graphics for a server (NAS and ESXi) and need all
    > the better performing slots I can get....so I have a free pci-e x1
    > which is otherwise unusable....
    >
    > Not been able to locate one so far....anyone seen one?

    Is there a spare PCI slot you could use for the video card?

    EMB, Oct 19, 2009

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 20, 11:00 am, EMB <> wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    > > Is there such a "beast" in NZ?

    > > I want really basic graphics for a server (NAS and ESXi) and need all
    > > the better performing slots I can get....so I have a free pci-e x1
    > > which is otherwise unusable....

    > > Not been able to locate one so far....anyone seen one?

    > Is there a spare PCI slot you could use for the video card?

    uh no.....that's my problem, I have three PCI slots and right now I
    have a PCI video card but need it freed up to take a promise SX6000
    which is PCI, but preferably, two. What I do have is a redundant pci-e
    x 1....I have found some pics of a Nvidia 8400? it seems these are
    really crap and a pci-e x1 was enough to drive them to their low
    limits, but later, vendors re-jigged the cards as x 16 to make them
    look worth more than they are...but I only need command line...

    regards

    thingy, Oct 20, 2009
  4. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > uh no.....that's my problem, I have three PCI slots and right now I
    > have a PCI video card but need it freed up to take a promise SX6000
    > which is PCI, but preferably, two. What I do have is a redundant pci-e
    > x 1....I have found some pics of a Nvidia 8400? it seems these are
    > really crap and a pci-e x1 was enough to drive them to their low
    > limits, but later, vendors re-jigged the cards as x 16 to make them
    > look worth more than they are...but I only need command line...

    Nvidia 7300's were also available as a x1 card but I haven't seen any
    for 12 months or so.

    EMB, Oct 20, 2009
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 20, 2:46 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    > > uh no.....that's my problem, I have three PCI slots and right now I
    > > have a PCI video card but need it freed up to take a promise SX6000
    > > which is PCI, but preferably, two. What I do have is a redundant pci-e
    > > x 1....I have found some pics of a Nvidia 8400? it seems these are
    > > really crap and a pci-e x1 was enough to drive them to their low
    > > limits, but later, vendors re-jigged the cards as x 16 to make them
    > > look worth more than they are...but I only need command line...

    > Nvidia 7300's were also available as a x1 card but I haven't seen any
    > for 12 months or so.

    Thanks...trademe me thinks....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Oct 20, 2009
  6. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > On Oct 20, 2:46 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>> uh no.....that's my problem, I have three PCI slots and right now I
    >>> have a PCI video card but need it freed up to take a promise SX6000
    >>> which is PCI, but preferably, two. What I do have is a redundant pci-e
    >>> x 1....I have found some pics of a Nvidia 8400? it seems these are
    >>> really crap and a pci-e x1 was enough to drive them to their low
    >>> limits, but later, vendors re-jigged the cards as x 16 to make them
    >>> look worth more than they are...but I only need command line...

    >> Nvidia 7300's were also available as a x1 card but I haven't seen any
    >> for 12 months or so.

    > Thanks...trademe me thinks....

    Maybe this?

    http://uec.co.nz/index.php?main_pag...=40721&zenid=2d2368fd626ea45f826490511288a5de

    or this?

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=26706

    EMB, Oct 20, 2009
  7. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Is there such a "beast" in NZ?
    >
    > I want really basic graphics for a server (NAS and ESXi) and need all
    > the better performing slots I can get....so I have a free pci-e x1
    > which is otherwise unusable....
    >
    > Not been able to locate one so far....anyone seen one?
    >
    > regards

    Very hard to find. I didnt get some nvidia quadro one that was on TM a
    while ago because I figured they would be common as, and have never seen
    one since. I want more screens off the PC and I tried a PCI one and it
    broke aero in windows 7.

    Richard, Oct 20, 2009
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Oct 20, 4:04 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    > >> Nvidia 7300's were also available as a x1 card but I haven't seen any
    > >> for 12 months or so.

    > > Thanks...trademe me thinks....

    > Maybe this?
    >
    > http://uec.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_i....

    A google search shows up this...

    http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Albatron-1X-9500GT-512XL-512MB-DDR3-PCIE1X/3120408/

    doesnt look like a pci-e x 1

    > or this?
    >
    > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=26706

    Im not hacking my server board

    ;]

    this what I want...

    http://www.nextag.com/HP-nVIDIA-Gef...rices-html?nxtg=e8f70a24051a-B18F500AFF9E26A0

    http://www.nextag.com/HP-GJ120AA-25...rices-html?nxtg=e8f70a24051a-B18F500AFF9E26A0

    hmmm "HP"

    or

    http://www.nextag.com/ATI-FireMV-2250-X1-548073244/prices-html?nxtg=e8f70a24051a-B18F500AFF9E26A0

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 20, 2009
  9. thingy

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Oct 20, 2009
  10. thingy

    PeeCee Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Is there such a "beast" in NZ?
    >
    > I want really basic graphics for a server (NAS and ESXi) and need all
    > the better performing slots I can get....so I have a free pci-e x1
    > which is otherwise unusable....
    >
    > Not been able to locate one so far....anyone seen one?
    >
    > regards

    er would a USB graphics adapter/dongle thingy work?
    http://www.sella.co.nz/general/electronics-photography/tvs/cables-aerials/4sz6km/
    (this one's closed but the seller is still around going by their activities
    on TM)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Oct 20, 2009
  11. thingy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> A google search shows up this...
    >>
    >> http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Albatron-1X-9500GT-512XL-512MB-DDR3-PCIE1X/3120408/
    >>
    >> doesnt look like a pci-e x 1

    > Ahhh, no, not at all.
    >>
    >>> or this?
    >>>
    >>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83&topicid=26706

    >> Im not hacking my server board

    > What about the careful use of a junior hacksaw on an el-cheapo card
    > instead?

    As we use similar 'sources' EMB I don't think there's much point in me
    searching. I know that such cards are available abroad, usually low-end
    GPUs, but finding a supplier who'll ship to NZ is another matter.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 20, 2009