    (adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?

    TIA
    Mark

    Mark, May 3, 2005

  2. Mark wrote:
    > Could someone point me to where I caould find a PCI TV tuner card for
    > linux (Fedora 3)?
    > And could I have some suggestions for a reasonable pair of speakers
    > (adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mark

    Anything with a BT8x8 (mono) or SAA713x (nicam stereo) are well
    supported. Getting the SAA7134 to keep defaulting to 5.5Mhz when it
    loses the audio carrier is a bit of a pain. Not a problem if you hack
    the kernel module driver though. There is a newer chip starting with
    ctxxx? Support for this one is around but only in late model kernels?
    e.g XH6765 from DSE $48 SAA7134 chipset
    Then add Mythtv TV to make it into a awesome PVR box.

    hope this helps

    Graeme Woollett, May 3, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    Mark wrote:
    > Could someone point me to where I caould find a PCI TV tuner card for
    > linux (Fedora 3)?

    I use a Pinnacle PCTV Stereo card. It uses the saa7134 chip which is
    fairly well supported in Linux. Only likely issue is getting sound to
    work 100%, but it isn't too hard...

    The card cost less than AUD$90, so should be quite cheap in NZ too.
    If you cannot find that card try any other with the BT8x8 chipset,
    which is well supported...

    > And could I have some suggestions for a reasonable pair of speakers
    > (adequate for MP3 playing. I am not an audiophile)?

    Most cheap PC speakers will be fine for that. Spend as little money
    as possible on speakers, because the quality of sound reproduction
    from your average PC is worse than even a crap pair of speakers can
    reproduce...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.