PCI Card with IDE

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Wayne, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    I have an 8 yr old AMD 1G machine that finally quit (red lite power - no
    fans, etc worth fixing????).

    The drives use the older IDE bus (IDE on motherboard).

    New machines use something much different, SATA

    How do I "slave" my IDE drives to the newer SATA drive bus? NEED to move
    data from dead machine to something new (not yet purchased).

    Does someone make a PCI-e card with IDE ports?

    Also:

    What is the difference between PCI-Express 1 and PCI-Express 16? And PCI
    conventional buses?

    Best Regards,
    Wayne

    Wayne, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Wayne

    Neil Green Guest

    "Wayne" <> wrote in message
    >I have an 8 yr old AMD 1G machine that finally quit
    >(red lite power - no fans, etc worth fixing????).
    >
    > The drives use the older IDE bus (IDE on
    > motherboard).
    >
    > New machines use something much different, SATA
    >
    > How do I "slave" my IDE drives to the newer SATA
    > drive bus? NEED to move data from dead machine to
    > something new (not yet purchased).
    >
    > Does someone make a PCI-e card with IDE ports?
    >
    > Also:
    >
    > What is the difference between PCI-Express 1 and
    > PCI-Express 16? And PCI conventional buses?
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Wayne

    New boards will still have at least one IDE connector
    for the optical drives.
    Use that to copy your data over then unplug the hard
    disk and install your burner/reader etc.

    Neil Green, Jan 21, 2007