pcgear - auckland

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it

    just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
    it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
    original purchase price

    Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    never got my refund
    Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
    etc - they have effectivly carried on

    I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..

    Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that happening?

    Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
    right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

    Andrew, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Baloo Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
    >
    > just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    > replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
    > it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
    > original purchase price
    >
    > Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    > never got my refund
    > Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
    > etc - they have effectivly carried on
    >
    > I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    > closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
    >
    > Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
    > happening?
    >
    > Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
    > right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do
    > anything

    Ok so what was the legal relationship between the Auckland company and
    the Dunedin company? Was the Auckland operation merely a customer of
    the Dunedin operation? If that is the case, I cannot see that the
    Dunedin company would have any legal obligation to you. If you cannot
    answer that question, do some digging on the companies website - this
    may give you clues as to the relationship between the two businesses.

    Problem is that going to a small claims hearing (if indeed there is a
    relationship between them that transfers liability) may take more of you
    r time than the motherboard is worth and you could loose.

    hth

    Warren

    Baloo, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Baloo wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
    >>
    >> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    >> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan
    >> and it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
    >> original purchase price
    >>
    >> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    >> never got my refund
    >> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone
    >> number etc - they have effectivly carried on
    >>
    >> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    >> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
    >>
    >> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
    >> happening?
    >>
    >> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
    >> right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do
    >> anything

    > Ok so what was the legal relationship between the Auckland company and
    > the Dunedin company? Was the Auckland operation merely a customer of
    > the Dunedin operation? If that is the case, I cannot see that the
    > Dunedin company would have any legal obligation to you. If you cannot
    > answer that question, do some digging on the companies website - this
    > may give you clues as to the relationship between the two businesses.
    >

    > Problem is that going to a small claims hearing (if indeed there is a
    > relationship between them that transfers liability) may take more of you
    > r time than the motherboard is worth and you could loose.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > Warren

    Yea

    Thats what i dont know... The legal relationship between the two

    Andrew, Feb 15, 2006
  4. "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Baloo > Yea
    >
    > Thats what i dont know... The legal relationship between the two

    look at http://www.companies.govt.nz

    PC GEAR LIMITED (Stuck Off) - Auckland Company - SPENCER, Cedric Ricardo
    PC GEAR DUNEDIN LIMITED (used top be PCGAMER Limited). LENNANE, Dale Ann +
    LENNANE, Darryl

    They don't look related at all.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
    >
    > just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    > replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and it
    > never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
    > purchase price
    >
    > Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    > never got my refund
    > Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
    > etc - they have effectivly carried on
    >
    > I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    > closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
    >
    > Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
    > happening?
    >
    > Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
    > in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

    Since when did PC Gear in Dunedin ever take over ownership of PC Gear in
    Auckland?

    You gambled and lost. You would've paid more at a proper store but also got
    a decent warranty instead of dealing with some outfit in Taiwan to sort it
    out.
    Chaep often means up the creek without a paddle should things go wrong.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2006
  6. Andrew

    Rob Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
    >
    > just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    > replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and it
    > never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
    > purchase price
    >
    > Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    > never got my refund
    > Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
    > etc - they have effectivly carried on
    >
    > I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    > closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
    >
    > Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
    > happening?
    >
    > Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
    > in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

    They probably picked up the domain when it expired, and also picked up the
    same phone number by asking telecom if it was avaliable. Effectively this
    means they can pick up on the advertising (and bad name) of the company that
    went bust, but they will probably also find a lot of old ripped off
    customers like you will find them.

    Rob, Feb 15, 2006
  7. Andrew

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message

    > "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    >> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
    >>
    >> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
    >> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
    >> it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
    >> purchase price
    >>
    >> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
    >> never got my refund
    >> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
    >> etc - they have effectivly carried on
    >>
    >> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
    >> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
    >>
    >> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
    >> happening?
    >>
    >> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
    >> in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

    > They probably picked up the domain when it expired, and also picked up the
    > same phone number by asking telecom if it was avaliable. Effectively this
    > means they can pick up on the advertising (and bad name) of the company
    > that went bust, but they will probably also find a lot of old ripped off
    > customers like you will find them.

    They were both trading at the same time. It was stupid for the Dunedin
    outfit to change their name to one that another outfit was already using.
    The Dunedin outfit did do business with the Auckland one, but they were
    hardly linked up in a partnership.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Feb 15, 2006