    Thanks
    Shawn
    , Jan 12, 2006

  2. Erick Guest

    Completely UNreliable. One should check online for spyware complaints about
    software.

    Others to avoid (like the plague):
    WinFixer
    SpyAxe
    SpySpotter
    SpywareNuker

    <> wrote in message
    Hi.
    I downloaded and tested my machines with this.
    It says I have no problems.

    Anybody have an opinion on how reliable this software is?

    Thanks
    Shawn
    Erick, Jan 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    OK so where do I check online for spyware complaints.
    I downloaded it, ran it and then ran Spybot and it showed no spyware.

    Shawn
    , Jan 13, 2006
  4. Erick Guest

    First off, my apologies. Got that title mixed up with another similar title.

    Second, the easiest way to search for spyware related problems and a
    particular program is to go to google and enter the program name followed by
    "spyware", "adware" or "malware". (ie: "winfixer malware" which brings up
    the results: http://www.google.com/search?q=winfixer malware&btnG=Search)

    Erick, Jan 13, 2006
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I downloaded and tested my machines with this.
    > It says I have no problems.
    >
    > Anybody have an opinion on how reliable this software is?

    No ware can tell you reliably if you have a problem or not.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 13, 2006
  6. bambam Guest

    bambam, Jan 13, 2006
  7. bambam Guest

    bambam <> wrote in

    > "" <> wrote in
    >
    >> OK so where do I check online for spyware complaints.
    >> I downloaded it, ran it and then ran Spybot and it showed no spyware.

    > Here is a good list-
    >
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

    Sorry, that is not really what you were after, is it.
    bambam, Jan 13, 2006
  8. ab04 Guest

    Spybot has been dropped from reviews in PC Magazine and similar more
    than a year ago, due to its inability to detect and especially prevent
    spyware.
    ab04, Jan 13, 2006
  9. Erick Guest

    Which is why one should never rely on just one anti-spyware program.

    Erick, Jan 14, 2006
  10. Plato Guest

    Erick wrote:

    > Which is why one should never rely on just one anti-spyware program.

    Agreed. Same with anti-virus.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 14, 2006
  11. Plato Guest

    ab04 wrote:

    > Spybot has been dropped from reviews in PC Magazine and similar more
    > than a year ago, due to its inability to detect and especially prevent
    > spyware.

    Actually due to spybot not placing ads in thier half dozen magazines.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 14, 2006
  12. Sjouke Burry Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > ab04 wrote:
    >
    >>Spybot has been dropped from reviews in PC Magazine and similar more
    >>than a year ago, due to its inability to detect and especially prevent
    >>spyware.

    > Actually due to spybot not placing ads in thier half dozen magazines.

    Using macafee, Winpatrol , spybot and adaware,
    and sp2 firewall on a adsl router, and happy to
    say that i get zero problems(hope to keep it that way!)
    spybot resident and winpatrol are quite nice
    at catching install crap that windows lets through.
    Sjouke Burry, Jan 14, 2006
  13. Sjouke Burry Guest

    Erick wrote:
    > Which is why one should never rely on just one anti-spyware program.
    >

    > "ab04" <> wrote in message
    > Spybot has been dropped from reviews in PC Magazine and similar more
    > than a year ago, due to its inability to detect and especially prevent
    > spyware.

    Crap. Together with some other thing my system
    is(yet)clean as a wistle.(see my other post)
    Sjouke Burry, Jan 14, 2006
  14. bambam wrote:
    > "" <> wrote in
    >
    > > OK so where do I check online for spyware complaints.
    > > I downloaded it, ran it and then ran Spybot and it showed no spyware.

    > Here is a good list-
    >
    > http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

    Notice that his uses the following combination of Apps to determine a
    system is clear before testing.

    AVP 3.5, Trojan Hunter 4, Ad-aware SE, Spybot S&D 1.3, & Spy Sweeper 3

    Spy Sweeper works for me.
    General Specific, Jan 15, 2006
  15. Erick Guest

    Actually, one SHOULD have only one antivirus because they tend to conflict
    with each other, sometimes to the point of seeing each other as a virus.

    Erick, Jan 15, 2006
  16. JD Guest

    Erick wrote:
    > Actually, one SHOULD have only one antivirus because they tend to conflict
    > with each other, sometimes to the point of seeing each other as a virus.

    Also one antivirus program can slow your machine down to a crawl when
    its scanning, nevermind two or more.
    JD, Jan 16, 2006