PCChips M848A CD/DVD boot problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by William, May 29, 2008.

  1. William

    William Guest

    William wrote:
> [...]

    >> 3) How they are cabled together. (Hard drive on center connector,
    >> CDROM on end connector etc.)
    >> 4) Whether the cable has 40 wires or 80 wires. The 80 wire cables have
    >> thinner
    >> wires, and the cable has better signal transmission qualities than the
    >> 40 wire
    >> cable. That is why the 80 wire cable can support Ultra133.
    >> 5) How the drives are jumpered. If IDE, they could be master, master
    >> only,
    >> slave, or cable select. If SATA, there is a jumper to force 150MB/sec
    >> interface rate. So it would be nice to know how you jumpered things.
    >>
    >> As the above "help2go" article mentions, there are hard drive diagnostics
    >> available on the various manufacturer web sites. The diagnostic may fit
    >> on
    >> a floppy, or there may be a CDROM version (perhaps an ISO9660), and you
    >> boot with the diagnostic and let it test the disk. Now, one downside of
    >> the
    >> diagnostic, is it doesn't say what is broken. But at least it would
    >> be interesting, to see if the drive is accessible or not. But before
    >> you run the diagnostic, the setup of the hardware should be
    >> re-examined for errors. No sense abusing the hardware, if something
    >> isn't connected right.
    >>
    >> I like this tutorial on IDE cabling and jumpers, as it saves me a lot
    >> of typing. It is pretty thorough, on the subject of IDE and ribbon cables
    >> for hard drives.
    >>
    >> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Sorry Paul
    > You didn't miss anything I just hooked everything up like it was
    > on
    > my other board using same cables hoping everything was the same and maybe
    > that is the problem. Here is the info. I will read the articles and double
    > check everything. It might take some time.
    >
    > 1) Motherboard make and model number.
    > PCChips M848A
    >
    > 2) Number of hard drives and CDROM drives.
    > 2 hard drives a CD Rom r/w and a DVD Rom r/w
    >
    > 3) How they are cabled together.
    > Both hard drives on same cable, 80 wire. Boot drive on center and
    > slave
    > drive on end. CD and DVD on same cable CD on center DVD on end, 40 wire.
    >
    > 4) Whether the cable has 40 wires or 80 wires.
    > Hard drives on 80 wire and CD and DVD on 40 wire cable. Could this
    > be
    > a problem?
    >
    > 5) How the drives are jumpered.
    > IDE, I think, Master,Slave This is the way it shows up in BIOS setup
    > utility. I let the utility detect the drives and it showed them as user
    > defined.
    >
    > I can get to dos with the start up disk I made on my other computer.
    > Also I can get to hard drive c (master) and hard drive d (slave) but not
    > cd
    > or dvd drives. Should I start a new message topic? If so what?

    You could make the thread "PCChips M848A CD/DVD boot problem".

    The M848A Version 5 board is here. Your motherboard is a replacement for
    a Syntax SV266AD VIA KT266 Athlon board. The M848A uses a SiS746FX
    Northbridge
    and SiS963L Southbridge, so would need a repair install (which is why
    being able to boot from an optical device would be nice).

    http://www.pcchipsusa.com/PCCWebSit...ailID=341&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=7&LanID=2

    http://download.ecsusa.com/dlfilepcc/manual/848Av50.pdf

    You have two IDE connectors. To do the repair install, all that is
    necessary is the HDD with the boot system on it, and one optical
    drive. You have one 80 wire cable, and you could host those two
    devices with the one cable.

    There is little difference, between a 40 wire and an 80 wire cable,
    from the user perspective. They both hold two drives. But the
    80 wire cable supports the higher UDMA rates, and also has better
    signal integrity. The 40 wire cable works, and the BIOS and OS
    can (partially) detect the presence of the cable, and limit
    the transfer rate to match the signal integrity properties of
    the cable. (The ATAPI standard claims they cannot guarantee that
    the 40 pin cable is detectable, without going into details.)

    You can take from that, that I like 80 wire cables in my computer.
    Even for optical drives.

    Another property of the 80 wire cable, is it may have the mod to
    make it support cable select. That is not really essential, but is
    another distinguishing feature of the 80 wire cable.

    Right off hand, I don't see a reason why your current configuration
    doesn't work. You can try popping an 80 wire cable in there, for
    the optical drives. But I wouldn't have thought that would stop
    the drive from being bootable. Since you'll eventually need to
    get all four devices working, putting just the HDD and the CDROM
    on the cable, so you can finish a repair install, is hardly a
    permanent solution.

    Usually, a BIOS setting of "Auto" for storage devices, does a
    good job. You can check the main BIOS screen, and see if all
    devices you've cabled up, are being detected and named properly,
    without weird characters in the name string.

    Paul

    OK Paul
    I'm going to do some more checking but here is what I've got now. I
    installed the 80 wire cable on optical drive cd rw and disconnected the dvd
    rw. I disconnected the slave hard drive and left the master with the 80 wire
    cable. I now can boot from optical drive and floppy. However when I boot
    with the WinXP setup disk it goes through all the setup devices and files
    and then reboots. After restart with WinXP cd disk removed my computer still
    will not boot from hard disk. Here is something funny. I still have WinME
    operating system on my slave drive and when I had all the drive hooked up if
    I put in BIOS to boot from slave drive my computer will boot into WinME even
    though it goes into safe mode.
    William

    William, May 29, 2008

  2. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:

> [...]

    >> devices you've cabled up, are being detected and named properly,
    >> without weird characters in the name string.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > OK Paul
    > I'm going to do some more checking but here is what I've got now. I
    > installed the 80 wire cable on optical drive cd rw and disconnected the dvd
    > rw. I disconnected the slave hard drive and left the master with the 80 wire
    > cable. I now can boot from optical drive and floppy. However when I boot
    > with the WinXP setup disk it goes through all the setup devices and files
    > and then reboots. After restart with WinXP cd disk removed my computer still
    > will not boot from hard disk. Here is something funny. I still have WinME
    > operating system on my slave drive and when I had all the drive hooked up if
    > I put in BIOS to boot from slave drive my computer will boot into WinME even

    Connect the hard drive with WinXP and the CDROM drive, to the same
    80 wire cable. Jumper one device for master, the other for slave.
    Insert the Windows installer CD. Do a repair install. Based on the entry
    here, the SIS963L should not need a F6 driver for the IDE interface.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20040918...rt/faq/index.php?action=faq&faq_class=faq_c02

    "14. Q: Do we need to install SiS IDE Driver under Windows system?

    A: No, Win95 OSR2, Win98, Win98se, WinMe, and Win2000 all
    can support PIO/DMA/UDMA mode well, there is no need to install
    SiS driver for system operation. But it is suggested to use SiS
    IDE driver for SiS5513, 5571, 5600A and 5600B0."

    The repair install is documented (but a little hard to read at times), here.
    Basically, you want the repair install, rather than the option to start the
    recovery console.

    Also, check the BIOS and make sure there are no bizarre choices
    for the BIOS settings. With the hard drive and optical drive on
    the 80 wire cable, when the BIOS starts, you should see two devices
    listed in the main BIOS screen. The BIOS should be using "Auto" detection,
    to find them. As long as one drive is master and the other slave, it
    should all be working.

    I think in this statement:

    "with the WinXP setup disk it goes through all the setup devices
    and files and then reboots"

    you're telling me that the repair install ran to completion. What
    are the symptoms when WinXP won't boot ? Does it say "no boot device
    found" or something similar ? Please copy and paste any error
    messages exactly, as that makes it easier to search for similar
    problems in Google. If there is a BSOD (blue screen), copy the
    error numbers. STOP codes are documented here, if you need them.

    http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

    You might also try running the manufacturer disk diagnostic, and see
    if the hard drive can be read properly, on the new computer.

    Paul

    Paul, May 29, 2008

  3. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:g1n0lq$d3$...

> [...]

    > listed in the main BIOS screen. The BIOS should be using "Auto" detection,
    > to find them. As long as one drive is master and the other slave, it
    > should all be working.
    >
    > I think in this statement:
    >
    > "with the WinXP setup disk it goes through all the setup devices
    > and files and then reboots"
    >
    > you're telling me that the repair install ran to completion. What
    > are the symptoms when WinXP won't boot ? Does it say "no boot device
    > found" or something similar ? Please copy and paste any error
    > messages exactly, as that makes it easier to search for similar
    > problems in Google. If there is a BSOD (blue screen), copy the
    > error numbers. STOP codes are documented here, if you need them.
    >
    > http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    >
    > You might also try running the manufacturer disk diagnostic, and see
    > if the hard drive can be read properly, on the new computer.

    Hello Paul
    Could not put DVD Rom on same cable as hard disk. Hooked only master hard
    disk to primary IDE. Hooked only master DVDrom to secondery IDE. Made sure
    BIOS detected both. Set DVDrom to boot first in BIOS. Restarted computer
    with Win CD in drive. Computer started booted from cd directly into setup,
    did not give me any choices. Part way through installation blue screen came
    up with this info.
    " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
    your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these stepts. Check to
    see if you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identiffied in the stop
    message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver
    updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vender for
    any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as chaching or shadowing.
    If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
    computer, press F8 to select advance startup options, and then select safe
    mode .
    Technical information
    ***Stop: 0x0000007e ( 0xc000001d, 0x80924020, 0xf9e70274, 0xf9e7cf70 )
    I left the computer on with the blue screen and info so maybe you can tell
    me step by step what to do next.
    I thought when I upgraded to WinXP and started the cd windows gave me
    choices before starting. Now it don't.
    William

    William, May 30, 2008
  4. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:

    > Hello Paul
    > Could not put DVD Rom on same cable as hard disk. Hooked only master hard
    > disk to primary IDE. Hooked only master DVDrom to secondery IDE. Made sure
    > BIOS detected both. Set DVDrom to boot first in BIOS. Restarted computer
    > with Win CD in drive. Computer started booted from cd directly into setup,
    > did not give me any choices. Part way through installation blue screen came
    > up with this info.
    > " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    > damage to your computer.
    > If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
    > your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these stepts. Check to
    > see if you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identiffied in the stop
    > message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver
    > updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vender for
    > any bios updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as chaching or shadowing.
    > If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
    > computer, press F8 to select advance startup options, and then select safe
    > mode .
    > Technical information
    > ***Stop: 0x0000007e ( 0xc000001d, 0x80924020, 0xf9e70274, 0xf9e7cf70 )
    > I left the computer on with the blue screen and info so maybe you can tell
    > me step by step what to do next.
    > I thought when I upgraded to WinXP and started the cd windows gave me
    > choices before starting. Now it don't.
    > William

    The stop error may have identified a driver. For example

    STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF9E2BB72, 0xF9FD30E4, 0xF9FD2DE4)
    usbccgp.sys - Address F9E2BB72 base at F9E28000, DateStamp 3d6ddc33

    In the article here, the second number maps to a reason.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx

    0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

    Chunks of memory have permissions, as to what you can do to them. For
    example, code segments should be read only. Either some code was
    corrupted, and attempted to access a nonsense location, or the
    code tried to modify some other code.

    When it booted up, it should have looked like this.

    http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/repairinstall.htm

    Can you get both the hard drive, and some optical drive, on the
    80 wire cable ? Can you get a second 80 wire cable, to eliminate the
    40 wire cable from the picture ? It shouldn't be necessary, but
    since I have spare cables, it would be something I'd try.

    Also, if you could get both drives on the same cable, you
    could test IDE1 and IDE2 as two separate test cases.

    Other tests you could try -

    1) Download a hard drive diagnostic test program, from the hard
    drive manufacturer web site. Load it on a floppy. Boot and
    see whether the diagnostic can access the hard drive OK.

    2) Download memtest86+ from memtest.org . Available as a floppy
    version or CD version. Test memory for a couple hours. No
    errors are acceptable.

    3) Download Knoppix (700MB ISO9660) from knopper.net. You can
    boot a Linux LiveCD, without installing any software. Since
    Knoppix can checksum the files it loads off the CD, you may
    be able to use that to prove the optical drive reads good.

    Go through the M848A reviews here, for more inspiration.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813185074

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, May 30, 2008
  5. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:g1pd5k$go8$...
> [...]

    > since I have spare cables, it would be something I'd try.
    >
    > Also, if you could get both drives on the same cable, you
    > could test IDE1 and IDE2 as two separate test cases.
    >
    > Other tests you could try -
    >
    > 1) Download a hard drive diagnostic test program, from the hard
    > drive manufacturer web site. Load it on a floppy. Boot and
    > see whether the diagnostic can access the hard drive OK.
    >
    > 2) Download memtest86+ from memtest.org . Available as a floppy
    > version or CD version. Test memory for a couple hours. No
    > errors are acceptable.
    >
    > 3) Download Knoppix (700MB ISO9660) from knopper.net. You can
    > boot a Linux LiveCD, without installing any software. Since
    > Knoppix can checksum the files it loads off the CD, you may
    > be able to use that to prove the optical drive reads good.
    >
    > Go through the M848A reviews here, for more inspiration.

    OK, I downloaded and ran memtest86+ with this result

    WallTime Cashed RsvdMem MemMap Cache Ecc
    3.20:37 256M 112K e820-STD on off

    Test Pass Errors Ecc Errs
    STD 7 5768704 0

    Could not find Knoppix (700MB ISO9660). Found web site but could not find
    file.
    Am I in trouble with memory? I probably should have mentioned that I used
    the same memory module that was in my other board. I thought it was
    compatiable.
    William. I thought I would give you this info before I trying again to hook
    my hard drive and optical drive on the same 80 wire cable I did take the 40
    wire cable out several days ago. Before I could not get it to work. Might
    have to change the junper on optical drive.
    William

    William, May 30, 2008
  6. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:
> [...]

    >> HTH,
    >> Paul

    > OK, I downloaded and ran memtest86+ with this result
    >
    > WallTime Cashed RsvdMem MemMap Cache Ecc
    > 3.20:37 256M 112K e820-STD on off
    >
    > Test Pass Errors Ecc Errs
    > STD 7 5768704 0
    >
    > Could not find Knoppix (700MB ISO9660). Found web site but could not find
    > file.
    > Am I in trouble with memory? I probably should have mentioned that I used
    > the same memory module that was in my other board. I thought it was
    > compatiable.
    > William. I thought I would give you this info before I trying again to hook
    > my hard drive and optical drive on the same 80 wire cable I did take the 40
    > wire cable out several days ago. Before I could not get it to work. Might
    > have to change the junper on optical drive.

    Fix the memory, before you do anything else!

    Bad memory will cause no end of problems, and can even
    corrupt an OS install, if you try booting while
    really bad memory is present. Anything to be written
    to disk, will be stored in memory somewhere, and
    could get corrupted.

    I see only two memory slots in the picture of the
    motherboard, and I doubt moving the stick will have
    much effect in this case. You can try that if you want.

    I don't see an adjustment for the memory voltage (Vdimm).
    Apparently, the hardware monitor page in the BIOS, can
    measure the voltage fed to the memory. 2.5V is the standard
    amount. On my motherboard, which allows adjusting the voltage,
    I have Vdimm set to 2.7V, and a little extra voltage helps when
    running at DDR400 or higher. I wouldn't have expected
    a problem at a lower speed, with one stick. So check
    the hardware monitor page, and see whether it reads
    2.5V or not. (A decent design would be within +/- 2% of
    the correct value, but a wider variation is possible. If it
    was way off, like 2.1 volts, that might explain the
    memory errors. You can check your CPU voltage, and compare
    to the book value, while you're in that screen.)

    (This site is slow today... An old table of Vcore values.)
    http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

    If all else fails, try the "DDR CAS" setting in Advanced Chipset.
    "SPD" reads the values as recorded in the SPD EEPROM on the
    surface of the memory DIMM, and is used to set the memory timings.
    If you go for a manual setting, go one notch higher than the memory
    rating. In other words, if the memory was DDR266 and CAS2.5 at that
    speed, and you are running it at DDR266, set CAS to 3.0 as an experiment.
    A higher CAS is "more relaxed".

    Paul

    Paul, May 31, 2008
  7. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:g1qea6$8ri$...
> [...]

    > the hardware monitor page, and see whether it reads
    > 2.5V or not. (A decent design would be within +/- 2% of
    > the correct value, but a wider variation is possible. If it
    > was way off, like 2.1 volts, that might explain the
    > memory errors. You can check your CPU voltage, and compare
    > to the book value, while you're in that screen.)
    >
    > (This site is slow today... An old table of Vcore values.)
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm
    >
    > If all else fails, try the "DDR CAS" setting in Advanced Chipset.
    > "SPD" reads the values as recorded in the SPD EEPROM on the
    > surface of the memory DIMM, and is used to set the memory timings.
    > If you go for a manual setting, go one notch higher than the memory
    > rating. In other words, if the memory was DDR266 and CAS2.5 at that
    > speed, and you are running it at DDR266, set CAS to 3.0 as an experiment.

    Hi Paul
    Installed new memory stick . Ran mem test still shows errors. Tried to
    boot from cd anyway. Have two Winxp cds. When I boot from one message comes
    up " The file toside.sys is corrupted Press any key to continue". When I
    push any key computer reboots and same thing. The other cd when I boot a
    message comes up "line 6646 of the INF file \I386\txtsetup.sif is invalid
    setup cannot continue" Got any ideas?
    William

    William, Jun 4, 2008
  8. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:
> [...]

    >> "SPD" reads the values as recorded in the SPD EEPROM on the
    >> surface of the memory DIMM, and is used to set the memory timings.
    >> If you go for a manual setting, go one notch higher than the memory
    >> rating. In other words, if the memory was DDR266 and CAS2.5 at that
    >> speed, and you are running it at DDR266, set CAS to 3.0 as an experiment.
    >> A higher CAS is "more relaxed".
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Hi Paul
    > Installed new memory stick . Ran mem test still shows errors. Tried to
    > boot from cd anyway. Have two Winxp cds. When I boot from one message comes
    > up " The file toside.sys is corrupted Press any key to continue". When I
    > push any key computer reboots and same thing. The other cd when I boot a
    > message comes up "line 6646 of the INF file \I386\txtsetup.sif is invalid

    Did you look in the BIOS, for the Hardware Monitor page mentioned in the
    user manual ? The voltage delivered to the DDR memory slots, is measured
    there. 2.5V is the nominal value. The measurement circuit won't be that
    accurate (maybe 3% or so if you're lucky).

    Memory can be unstable because -

    1) DDR Supply voltage is out of spec. The regulator circuit is part of the
    motherboard.
    2) Timings are being applied incorrectly by the BIOS.
    3) Memory is being run out of spec (for example, if the processor bus
    was being run faster than normal, and the memory clock got scaled too).
    3) Memory is failing to meet its timing specification.
    4) Memory performance is being degraded by the amount of loading on the bus.

    To get anywhere, you're either going to have to solve this at
    the BIOS level (i.e. with a BIOS setting), or a new motherboard.
    Since you've swapped RAM, there isn't a lot left to try. I would
    concentrate on the BIOS, and see how the behavior changes as you
    adjust things.

    If you cannot pass memtest, I don't see a point in booting a CD.
    There would be no guarantees on anything that the computer does.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 4, 2008
  9. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > motherboard.
    > 2) Timings are being applied incorrectly by the BIOS.
    > 3) Memory is being run out of spec (for example, if the processor bus
    > was being run faster than normal, and the memory clock got scaled too).
    > 3) Memory is failing to meet its timing specification.
    > 4) Memory performance is being degraded by the amount of loading on the
    > bus.
    >
    > To get anywhere, you're either going to have to solve this at
    > the BIOS level (i.e. with a BIOS setting), or a new motherboard.
    > Since you've swapped RAM, there isn't a lot left to try. I would
    > concentrate on the BIOS, and see how the behavior changes as you
    > adjust things.
    >
    > If you cannot pass memtest, I don't see a point in booting a CD.
    > There would be no guarantees on anything that the computer does.

    Checked monitor page: CPU voltage 1.728v to 1.744v
    DDR voltage 2.592v to 2.608v. It flip flops betweent these numbers. Don't
    know how to change these.
    William

    William, Jun 5, 2008
  10. William

    Paul Guest

    William wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> William wrote:

    >>> Hi Paul
    >>> Installed new memory stick . Ran mem test still shows errors. Tried to
    >>> boot from cd anyway. Have two Winxp cds. When I boot from one message
    >>> comes up " The file toside.sys is corrupted Press any key to continue".
    >>> When I push any key computer reboots and same thing. The other cd when I
    >>> boot a message comes up "line 6646 of the INF file \I386\txtsetup.sif is
    >>> invalid setup cannot continue" Got any ideas?
    >>> William

    >> Did you look in the BIOS, for the Hardware Monitor page mentioned in the
    >> user manual ? The voltage delivered to the DDR memory slots, is measured
    >> there. 2.5V is the nominal value. The measurement circuit won't be that
    >> accurate (maybe 3% or so if you're lucky).
    >>
    >> Memory can be unstable because -
    >>
    >> 1) DDR Supply voltage is out of spec. The regulator circuit is part of the
    >> motherboard.
    >> 2) Timings are being applied incorrectly by the BIOS.
    >> 3) Memory is being run out of spec (for example, if the processor bus
    >> was being run faster than normal, and the memory clock got scaled too).
    >> 3) Memory is failing to meet its timing specification.
    >> 4) Memory performance is being degraded by the amount of loading on the
    >> bus.
    >>
    >> To get anywhere, you're either going to have to solve this at
    >> the BIOS level (i.e. with a BIOS setting), or a new motherboard.
    >> Since you've swapped RAM, there isn't a lot left to try. I would
    >> concentrate on the BIOS, and see how the behavior changes as you
    >> adjust things.
    >>
    >> If you cannot pass memtest, I don't see a point in booting a CD.
    >> There would be no guarantees on anything that the computer does.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Checked monitor page: CPU voltage 1.728v to 1.744v
    > DDR voltage 2.592v to 2.608v. It flip flops betweent these numbers. Don't
    > know how to change these.
    > William

    That is good. 2.6V is nominal for DDR400 memory (the JEDEC committee agreed
    to bump the voltage, when DDR400 memory was passed as a spec). For speeds
    below DDR400, 2.5V is OK. And that means in practice, anything over 2.5V is
    good. I run my current DDR memory at 2.7V, which is a slight bit above
    that, but I'm running at DDR460 or so.

    I was worried that the RAM voltage was well below 2.5V, and that is why
    the performance was so bad.

    Verify the CPU frequency value. Your old motherboard was a KT266, implying
    FSB266 (CPU clock input 133MHz) or FSB200 (CPU clock input 100MHz). Verify that
    the frequency used in the BIOS, is consistent with the specs for the processor.
    If in doubt, manually set the CPU input clock to 100MHz (gives FSB200), as
    that is the lowest setting used on S462 processors.

    The memory frequency used, should have some relationship to the CPU clocking
    choice. For example, "CPU/DRAM clock ratio" [1:1}, is the default, and
    can be the most stable and efficient choice. But for that to work, the
    memory maximum operating frequency has to be consistent with the choice.
    If your old processor was FSB266, your memory was DDR266, then a CPU
    input clock of 133MHz gives FSB266, and a 1:1 ratio would make the memory
    run at DDR266.

    Once you've verified that, the memory will have a value for the column address
    strobe. The value might be 2.5 units, for example. If you allow a little
    more time for data to come from the memory (set CAS to 3.0 units), sometimes
    that will fix a memory that isn't quite meeting spec.

    For Vcore voltage, this table from the qdi.nl web site (a motherboard maker)
    has some values. For example, say the value in the table is 1.65V for your
    processor. The value you'll see measured in the Hardware Monitor page, will
    overshoot a little bit, at idle. 0.06V is a typical overshoot, at least on
    an Asus board. You might see 1.71V measured, and that would suggest 1.65V is
    being used. Perhaps your board is using 1.7V setting, and the rest is the
    overshoot.

    Family Core P.R. Pkg CPU Cache Mult Core Tmax Power
    Freq Clk Volts

    XP Model 10 2200 (3200+) OPGA 200 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 60.4W
    Barton 2100 (3000+) OPGA 200 512 10.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

    XP Model 10 2167 (3000+) OPGA 166 512 13x 1.65V 85oC 58.4W
    Barton 2083 (2800+) OPGA 166 512 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
    1917 (2600+) OPGA 166 512 11.5x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W
    1833 (2500+) OPGA 166 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

    XP Model 8 2167 (2700+) OPGA 166 256 13x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
    Thoroughbred 2083 (2600+) OPGA 166 256 12.5x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W

    XP Model 8 2133 (2600+) OPGA 133 256 16x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
    Thoroughbred 2000 (2400+) OPGA 133 256 15x 1.65V 85oC 62.0W
    CPU ID 0681 1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256 13.5x 1.60V 85oC 57.0W
    1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.60V 90oC 56.3W
    1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W
    1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W
    1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.60V 90oC 55.7W

    XP Model 8 1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256 13.5x 1.65V 85oC 61.7W
    Thoroughbred 1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.60V 90oC 56.4W
    CPU ID 0680 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.65V 90oC 54.7W
    1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.60V 90oC 54.7W
    1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.50V 90oC 47.7W
    1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.50V 90oC 46.3W
    1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.50V 90oC 44.9W

    XP Model 6 1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.75V 90oC 64.3W
    Palomino 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.75V 90oC 62.5W
    1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.75V 90oC 60.7W
    1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.75V 90oC 59.2W
    1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.75V 90oC 57.4W
    1400 (1600+) OPGA 133 256 10.5x 1.75V 90oC 56.3W
    1333 (1500+) OPGA 133 256 10x 1.75V 90oC 53.8W

    The processor can take more tha the values listed in the table.
    The old processors were good up to about 2 volts or more (consult
    a datasheet from AMD to see the stated value), but at this point,
    I'm not convinced that going with more Vcore, will fix this.
    Something else is wrong.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 5, 2008
  11. William

    William Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:g27iqf$h4t$...
> [...]

    > CPU ID 0680 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.65V 90oC 54.7W
    > 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.60V 90oC 54.7W
    > 1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.50V 90oC 47.7W
    > 1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.50V 90oC 46.3W
    > 1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.50V 90oC 44.9W
    >
    > XP Model 6 1733 (2100+) OPGA 133 256 13x 1.75V 90oC 64.3W
    > Palomino 1667 (2000+) OPGA 133 256 12.5x 1.75V 90oC 62.5W
    > 1600 (1900+) OPGA 133 256 12x 1.75V 90oC 60.7W
    > 1533 (1800+) OPGA 133 256 11.5x 1.75V 90oC 59.2W
    > 1467 (1700+) OPGA 133 256 11x 1.75V 90oC 57.4W
    > 1400 (1600+) OPGA 133 256 10.5x 1.75V 90oC 56.3W
    > 1333 (1500+) OPGA 133 256 10x 1.75V 90oC 53.8W
    >
    > The processor can take more tha the values listed in the table.
    > The old processors were good up to about 2 volts or more (consult
    > a datasheet from AMD to see the stated value), but at this point,
    > I'm not convinced that going with more Vcore, will fix this.

    Well Paul I've tried every combination of settings and nothing has
    changed. The last memory test I ran after about 38 minutes a message came up
    " Unexpected Interupt - Halting ". I am starting to think someting is wrong
    with this mother board. Some times cheap don't work. Thanks for all your
    help. If you think of anything else let me know. I mainly use my computer
    for home security and send an image and video to my website. If you have a
    suggestion od a good mother board and CPU and maybe graphics card with video
    in with a/v inputs I would appreiciate it.
    William

    William, Jun 7, 2008
  12. William

    Baron Guest

    William wrote:

    > Well Paul I've tried every combination of settings and nothing has
    > changed. The last memory test I ran after about 38 minutes a message
    > came up " Unexpected Interupt - Halting ". I am starting to think
    > someting is wrong with this mother board. Some times cheap don't work.
    > Thanks for all your help. If you think of anything else let me know. I
    > mainly use my computer for home security and send an image and video
    > to my website. If you have a suggestion od a good mother board and CPU
    > and maybe graphics card with video in with a/v inputs I would
    > appreiciate it. William

    "The Nvidia 6100 series main boards with built in video, sound, network
    card, USB, SATA/IDE and floppy are a good choice.  These support an AM2
    dual core CPU and 4GB+ ram.  Gigabyte is a favoured manufacturer of
    mine since it uses solid dielectric capacitors on the main board.  Its
    also 100% Linux compatible."

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.