PCAnywhere: Beginner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by skim500, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. skim500

    skim500 Guest

    I could use some help at the beginner level. Fairly adept with PC's
    but weak in the network area.

    I am trying to connect two PC's via PCAnywhere 10.5. Both are running
    XP. One PC is at my parent's house and on a wireless router. Broadband
    is supplied by cable. The other PC (mine) is on a wired router and is
    on DSL.

    I have done some research but don't seem to get the big picture on how
    to achieve connectivity with the number of variables. I understand
    that the remote must acquire the host's IP address, but with the
    routers in front and with neither provider providing static IP
    addresses, I don't know how to proceed. I also have an active domain
    and website, but am not sure how that helps.

    Can someone advise me with specific advice or point me to a link that
    does so?

    Thank you.

    skim

    skim500, Sep 14, 2004

  2. skim500

    Jamco Guest

    first off, return pc anywhere, its useless if your using windows xp pro. It
    has a built in remote desktop feature, which is better then. You'll have to
    set a rule on your routers to allow traffic coming in on port 3389 (Remote
    desktop port) to get redirected to the internal IP address of the computer
    you want to connect to. Once this is done and configured properly, from the
    host computer click start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Communications-->Remote
    Desktop Connection.

    Enter in the External IP address of the router your trying to connect too.
    It should then forward to the desired PC and you should get a log on prompt.
    Good Luck

    Jamco, Sep 14, 2004

  3. skim500

    why? Guest

    On 14 Sep 2004 06:02:14 -0700, skim500 wrote:

    >I could use some help at the beginner level. Fairly adept with PC's
    >but weak in the network area.
    >
    >I am trying to connect two PC's via PCAnywhere 10.5. Both are running
    >XP. One PC is at my parent's house and on a wireless router. Broadband
    >is supplied by cable. The other PC (mine) is on a wired router and is
    >on DSL.
    >
    >I have done some research but don't seem to get the big picture on how
    >to achieve connectivity with the number of variables. I understand
    >that the remote must acquire the host's IP address, but with the
    >routers in front and with neither provider providing static IP
    >addresses, I don't know how to proceed. I also have an active domain
    >and website, but am not sure how that helps.

    You need to find out the public facing IP, search previous posts in
    24HSHD,
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    for things like myip.org and dyndnsorg . Never used myip, although it's
    fairly like dyndns from a quick glance. Each of these should have a
    client that figures out your IP (non static addresses can change a lot
    so a client makes it easier) and updates it in a database.

    So for example the IP can be accessed as mybigdoombox.dyndns.org

    That's 1 bit. For the issue with a router. You need to configure port
    forwarding. What this does is take a request on the public IP / port (as
    used by PCAnywhere see link below) and forward it to the selected PC
    running PCAnywhere..

    >Can someone advise me with specific advice or point me to a link that
    >does so?

    Also posted in 24HSHD several times, check the past posts for
    Port Forwarding

    List of ports/applications
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

    Me

    why?, Sep 14, 2004
  4. skim500

    skim500 Guest

    Thank you for your replies. Will report on my progress.

    skim

    skim500, Sep 16, 2004